The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Most common mistake by refs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56976-most-common-mistake-refs.html)

Berkut Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:13am

RE: the throw in diagram....

Why do so many officials place the ball for a throw in just outside the lane on the endline, no matter where the violation occurred along the endline (or on the court if we are "pushing" down to the endline)?

jeffpea Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659340)
How do explain those officials then who call every bit of contact a foul?

I'll let you know when it happens...haven't seen it yet.

asdf Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:31am

Most common mistake ??

Ball watching.....:mad:

KJUmp Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659401)
The thing that aggravates me is when officials go to the spot they're already at just cause it's easier for them. Like when it's obvious we should go sideline and they go endline cause they're already standing there. Or when the throw-in should be opposite side of the lane and they don't go cause they would have to switch sides....

And when I make a call and designate a spot, I expect we go to that spot. If not, I will tweet my whistle and put the administering official there....

On my board the vets running the classes for the 2nd yr. refs trying to make the board literally POUNDED into our heads the need for throw-ins to take place from the proper spot. Aside from it being a rule, they pointed out how an incorrect throw-in spot can present a significant advantage/disadvantage to either the offense or defense depending on the situation.
Our JV game evaluations by the V officials has a section just on throw-ins:

Did we designate the correct spot when calling a violation
Did we indicate the throw-in spot to our P when calling a non-shooting foul
before we reported to the table.
Eye contact with P prior to putting ball in play that we're at the right spot
Communication during T/Os as to throw-in spot and is it a spot throw-in or can they run the line.
Etc, etc, etc. Its a major POE with our board. It's now something i just do automatically every time....even at the rec level (which drives some of my P's nuts).

Freddy Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:41am

Mistakes Prominent This Year

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 659286)
Other situations?

1) Not stopping the clock with an upraised arm.
2) Calling the all-too-cool "On the Floor!", when "habitual shooting motion" had obviously started.

KJUmp Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:45am

[QUOTE=MelbRef;659286]Just wondering what everyone else here thinks.

As I work with newer refs, it seems like the most common error is placement of the inbound after an over-and-back violation.

From a new guy....here's just one of mine....
Remembering to get my arm up with open palm when calling a violation.
I have the bad habit (still) of blowing and pointing the direction on OOB plays, and blowing and going straight to the travel signal on traveling calls.
Ditto on carrying, double dribble, kick, etc.
Working on it, esp. down at the rec level where the slower pace has really allowed to focus on proper signals and better timing.

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 659420)

Really?

I watched a JV game last week where they had between 50-60 fouls and at least 20 of those I would've passed on. I'm not exaggerating.

If anything, this is the pattern I see at my games. A little bump, no advantage, foul. What's sad is that nobody seems to complain about it. At the varsity level, they would.

TonyT Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:50am

In games involving bad teams

No matter how hard they try they can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh**

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 659430)
1) Not stopping the clock with an upraised arm.

Mistake?

Nah, the whistle stops the clock in every game I've worked.

It's a local thing.

Gargil Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:56am

I was told at a camp regarding the throw in spot that you were not to have a throw in from directly behind the backboard and that if a ball goes out of bounds in the corner to bring the throw in spot 2 or 3 feet up the end line or the sideline as to not pin the thrower dirctly in the corner.
Is this propoer mechanics??

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:58am

Quote:

Are you serious? In my experience, the "call everything" stage last far longer (multiple seasons) than the "unable to blow the whistle" stage.

Smitty Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659441)
Really?

I watched a JV game last week where they had between 50-60 fouls and at least 20 of those I would've passed on. I'm not exaggerating.

If anything, this is the pattern I see at my games. A little bump, no advantage, foul. What's sad is that nobody seems to complain about it. At the varsity level, they would.

Agreed.

Berkut Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659441)
Really?

Part of this, I think, is the difference between JV and Varsity basketball.

As someone who does mostly JV at the moment, the difference between bad JV basketball and decent Varsity is pretty huge as far as

A. What kind of contact a player can play through,
B. The ability of a defender to pressure without fouling, and
C. The players ability to grok what is being called and adjust accordingly.

At the varsity level, the guy getting the little bump plays right on through it - at the JV level, he takes two steps dribbles the ball off his face, falls down, and takes out a third player in the process. So you tend to be a little quicker on the whistle.

I watch plenty of Varsity games and think "Damn, that looks a LOT easier to officiate than JV...." The speed and size if faster and bigger of course, but the players are often under MUCH better control on both sides of the ball.

And as a Varsity football official who still does a lot of JV, that is often true in football as well.

Of course, the fact that JV games will generally have less experienced officials has plenty to do with it as well.

JRutledge Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:36pm

Quote:

I do not agree with that Jeff. As I say in camps I work as a clinician for our state I am often witnessing the younger and inexperienced officials they call a lot of things (not the camps you and I are going to for college). And when I work a varsity game in front of a lesser experienced officials they call a lot of things that just are not there at all. And they get a lot of crap for it. I see where you are going with this and I do agree that as a whole we could blow the whistle more, but I think there are officials that go through stages. And usually one of the stages is to not call anything for fear of criticism. And the other stage is to call everything once they realize they will get yelled at. Then finally the veteran learns that you have to have an equal balance and call what is needed, not just blow the whistle just to blow the whistle.

Peace

asdf Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659446)
Mistake?

Nah, the whistle stops the clock in every game I've worked.

It's a local thing.

What happens in a loud gym ? Not many schools have PTS.