The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Most common mistake by refs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56976-most-common-mistake-refs.html)

MelbRef Sun Feb 07, 2010 02:51pm

Most common mistake by refs

Just wondering what everyone else here thinks.

As I work with newer refs, it seems like the most common error is placement of the inbound after an over-and-back violation.

I don't know how many times I have seen the ball placed for inbound at the half court line after the ball is touched deep in the backcourt.

Other situations?

deecee Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:18pm

Most common mistake by refs

anytime we blow the whistle.:eek:

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:33pm

I don't understand the question. What's a "mistake"? :confused:

bas2456 Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 659293)

I thought for sure you would have said OT

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 659293)

I thought I made a mistake once, but I was mistaken. :D

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 659286)
Just wondering what everyone else here thinks.

As I work with newer refs, it seems like the most common error is placement of the inbound after an over-and-back violation.

I don't know how many times I have seen the ball placed for inbound at the half court line after the ball is touched deep in the backcourt.

Other situations?

MelbRef:

I would tend to agree with you. Even worse is the fact that there are many veteran officials that make the same mistake. Are you from Melbourne, Florida?

MTD, Sr.

mutantducky Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:41pm

I've heard about those before. only happened once in 62 at a small gym in North Dakota. poor ref was never seen again.

grunewar Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:44pm

Back on Topic

With many of the newer officials (and some older ones too), I'll go with not putting the ball in play at the right location after a violation or when the ball goes out of bounds.

Many would put it in play anywhere if I let them. ;)

JRutledge Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:50pm

I do not think there is a "common" mistake that officials make. We make a lot of different mistakes based on the official and the level. I do not see any one violation or foul that is called that everyone makes consistently.

Maybe I see a lot of officials not report to the table properly. Either they do not stop or they flip hands, but that is no different than officials that make calls that are not there or could have passed on. But I do not see this as "common" as we all are in different stages of development and ability.

Peace

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 07, 2010 03:52pm

OK - let's be somewhat fair here. Do you mean a mechanics mistake, a rule interp mistake or a judgment mistake?

BillyMac Sun Feb 07, 2010 04:01pm

This Appears To Be A Job For The Mythbusters ...

After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3582/...70756e11_m.jpg

JRutledge Sun Feb 07, 2010 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 659303)
After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.

Funny you said that. I just worked with an official that is a veteran that put the ball in play after a backcourt violation at the division line, when the touching of the ball (that actually caused the violation) in the backcourt below the top of the 3 point line. I did not make a big deal out of it, but I knew it was wrong. I do not think I have seen someone do that in a long time.

Peace

jeffpea Sun Feb 07, 2010 04:34pm

the most common mistake that officials make (at any level or at any experience level) is simply....not blowing the whistle enough.

99.99999% of problems in a game come from not blowing the whistle. the "default" that most new officials have (which carries over to their later years) is to not blow the whistle.

just another ref Sun Feb 07, 2010 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 659304)
Funny you said that. I just worked with an official that is a veteran that put the ball in play after a backcourt violation at the division line, when the touching of the ball (that actually caused the violation) in the backcourt below the top of the 3 point line. I did not make a big deal out of it, but I knew it was wrong. I do not think I have seen someone do that in a long time.

I had the same situation in reverse. Touch was at the free throw line. I called the violation. Throw-in at the end line. Next timeout, my veteran partner asked what the call was. I told him backcourt. He asked why the throw-in was "down there." I said that's where the violation happened. He said nothing else, but his expression said that he thought I didn't know what I was doing.

This one may be worthy of a spot on Billy Mac's list.

Adam Sun Feb 07, 2010 05:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 659307)
the most common mistake that officials make (at any level or at any experience level) is simply....not blowing the whistle enough.

99.99999% of problems in a game come from not blowing the whistle. the "default" that most new officials have (which carries over to their later years) is to not blow the whistle.

Followed very quickly by calling every little piece of contact a foul. This stage lasts longer, IMO, so I consider it more common at lower levels.

justacoach Sun Feb 07, 2010 05:42pm

Quote:

Had a seasoned partner use this diagram to emphasize the throw-in locations could only be the specific spots where the arrows point, especially on the sidelines. Still have scars on my lips as I bit myself to avoid laughing in his face.

BillyMac Sun Feb 07, 2010 05:55pm

It's Already There ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 659309)
This one may be worthy of a spot on Billy Mac's list.

And, it's not my list, I'm only the keeper of the list.

just another ref Sun Feb 07, 2010 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 659322)

And, it's not my list, I'm only the keeper of the list.

So it is worthy.

Rich Sun Feb 07, 2010 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 659307)

How do explain those officials then who call every bit of contact a foul?

Sure, they may avoid "problems" but they're calling a horrible game.

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659340)

By that standard, I guess my partner and I must have called a wonderful game this afternoon (before the Super Bowl). Seventh grade girls - we called a total of only 8 fouls in the entire game! Not a peep from either coach. Final score was 47-17. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Oh yeah - one girl had two of the fouls. I guess she should be considered "The Enforcer". :D

JRutledge Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:44pm

Quote:

I notice this a lot at camps I am evaluating at or ones I attend for mostly high school officials. There are a lot of calls that I see made that are clearly not fouls or that are not violations. And it really goes for traveling violations. There are many of those that just are not there or not control of the ball.

dsqrddgd909 Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:38am

Quote:

I will say that I am sometimes unsure on the spot for a throw-in, particularly when a violation or foul is midway between the lane and the arc, if it's sideline or endline.

grunewar Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 659350)
By that standard, I guess my partner and I must have called a wonderful game this afternoon (before the Super Bowl). Seventh grade girls - we called a total of only 8 fouls in the entire game! Not a peep from either coach. Final score was 47-17. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Oh yeah - one girl had two of the fouls. I guess she should be considered "The Enforcer". :D

Maybe everyone was just anxious to get home for the game?! ;)

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 07:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 659374)
I will say that I am sometimes unsure on the spot for a throw-in, particularly when a violation or foul is midway between the lane and the arc, if it's sideline or endline.

It would be more helpful if everything inside the arc would go baseline, but mainly you just have to look, make a judgment, and designate the spot. When I work with a partner who doesn't give a spot on a foul or violation, I will go to where I think it is coming in and will try to get the partner to verify. If I can't, I use my best judgment. It's one of my pet peeves.

grunewar Mon Feb 08, 2010 08:21am

Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659389)
It would be more helpful if everything inside the arc would go baseline, but mainly you just have to look, make a judgment, and designate the spot. When I work with a partner who doesn't give a spot on a foul or violation, I will go to where I think it is coming in and will try to get the partner to verify. If I can't, I use my best judgment. It's one of my pet peeves.

Hence, why I brought it up back at Post #8.

It's actually one of the few times I might blow my whistle more than once - when I want to get my partner's attention and show him OVER THERE, not where you are now. Where I'm pointing (and pointed to earlier)! And, I'm only going to do this if my P is off by a lot (like when they're on the endline when it should be on the sideline or he's near the free throw lane extended and it should be near the corner).

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 659398)
Hence, why I brought it up back at Post #8.

It's actually one of the few times I might blow my whistle more than once - when I want to get my partner's attention and show him OVER THERE, not where you are now. Where I'm pointing (and pointed to earlier)! And, I'm only going to do this if my P is off by a lot (like when they're on the endline when it should be on the sideline or he's near the free throw lane extended and it should be near the corner).

The thing that aggravates me is when officials go to the spot they're already at just cause it's easier for them. Like when it's obvious we should go sideline and they go endline cause they're already standing there. Or when the throw-in should be opposite side of the lane and they don't go cause they would have to switch sides....

And when I make a call and designate a spot, I expect we go to that spot. If not, I will tweet my whistle and put the administering official there....

grunewar Mon Feb 08, 2010 08:43am

And while we're at it......

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659401)
Or when the throw-in should be opposite side of the lane and they don't go cause they would have to switch sides...

Yep, I'm also not a big fan of the administering official bouncing the ball under the basket across the lane so they don't have to walk a l l t h e w a y over to the player and they can stay where they are. :(

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 659402)
Yep, I'm also not a big fan of the administering official bouncing the ball under the basket across the lane so they don't have to walk a l l t h e w a y over to the player and they can stay where they are. :(

We don't do it in HS games, but I'd have no problem if we incorporated that mechanic. I can manage a throw-in just as easily "tossing across."

grunewar Mon Feb 08, 2010 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659403)
We don't do it in HS games, but I'd have no problem if we incorporated that mechanic. I can manage a throw-in just as easily "tossing across."

Understand. My only real issue with it is when I think my partner is going to cross over to the spot and hand the ball and as the new L I cross over and then they bounce the ball across the lane and I have to go back. I just feel silly.

Could probably pre-game it, but it doesn't come up that much.

DLH17 Mon Feb 08, 2010 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 659355)
I notice this a lot at camps I am evaluating at or ones I attend for mostly high school officials. There are a lot of calls that I see made that are clearly not fouls or that are not violations. And it really goes for traveling violations. There are many of those that just are not there or not control of the ball.

That statement reminds me of a lesson I learned early in my modest career (from the trail position on 2 man crew) - pass on the urge to call a traveling violation IF you cannot see the ball. It sounds like a no brainer - however, I got caught up in watching the ballhandler begin a drive to the bucket from my zone to the baseline where he appeared to take too many steps with possession of the ball. In fact, his back was to me....the lead official had a clear view of the ball...ballhandler had lost control of the ball....and I blew my whistle. Mistake.

Ouch.

Never again.

I see it all the time now, though. Great teaching point.

Berkut Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:13am

RE: the throw in diagram....

Why do so many officials place the ball for a throw in just outside the lane on the endline, no matter where the violation occurred along the endline (or on the court if we are "pushing" down to the endline)?

jeffpea Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:16am

Quote:

I'll let you know when it happens...haven't seen it yet.

asdf Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:31am

Most common mistake ??

Ball watching.....:mad:

KJUmp Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659401)
The thing that aggravates me is when officials go to the spot they're already at just cause it's easier for them. Like when it's obvious we should go sideline and they go endline cause they're already standing there. Or when the throw-in should be opposite side of the lane and they don't go cause they would have to switch sides....

And when I make a call and designate a spot, I expect we go to that spot. If not, I will tweet my whistle and put the administering official there....

On my board the vets running the classes for the 2nd yr. refs trying to make the board literally POUNDED into our heads the need for throw-ins to take place from the proper spot. Aside from it being a rule, they pointed out how an incorrect throw-in spot can present a significant advantage/disadvantage to either the offense or defense depending on the situation.
Our JV game evaluations by the V officials has a section just on throw-ins:

Did we designate the correct spot when calling a violation
Did we indicate the throw-in spot to our P when calling a non-shooting foul
before we reported to the table.
Eye contact with P prior to putting ball in play that we're at the right spot
Communication during T/Os as to throw-in spot and is it a spot throw-in or can they run the line.
Etc, etc, etc. Its a major POE with our board. It's now something i just do automatically every time....even at the rec level (which drives some of my P's nuts).

Freddy Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:41am

Mistakes Prominent This Year

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 659286)
Other situations?

1) Not stopping the clock with an upraised arm.
2) Calling the all-too-cool "On the Floor!", when "habitual shooting motion" had obviously started.

KJUmp Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:45am

[QUOTE=MelbRef;659286]Just wondering what everyone else here thinks.

From a new guy....here's just one of mine....
Remembering to get my arm up with open palm when calling a violation.
I have the bad habit (still) of blowing and pointing the direction on OOB plays, and blowing and going straight to the travel signal on traveling calls.
Ditto on carrying, double dribble, kick, etc.
Working on it, esp. down at the rec level where the slower pace has really allowed to focus on proper signals and better timing.

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 659420)

Really?

I watched a JV game last week where they had between 50-60 fouls and at least 20 of those I would've passed on. I'm not exaggerating.

If anything, this is the pattern I see at my games. A little bump, no advantage, foul. What's sad is that nobody seems to complain about it. At the varsity level, they would.

TonyT Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:50am

In games involving bad teams

No matter how hard they try they can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh**

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 659430)
1) Not stopping the clock with an upraised arm.

Mistake?

Nah, the whistle stops the clock in every game I've worked.

It's a local thing.

Gargil Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:56am

I was told at a camp regarding the throw in spot that you were not to have a throw in from directly behind the backboard and that if a ball goes out of bounds in the corner to bring the throw in spot 2 or 3 feet up the end line or the sideline as to not pin the thrower dirctly in the corner.
Is this propoer mechanics??

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:58am

Quote:

Are you serious? In my experience, the "call everything" stage last far longer (multiple seasons) than the "unable to blow the whistle" stage.

Smitty Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659441)
Really?

I watched a JV game last week where they had between 50-60 fouls and at least 20 of those I would've passed on. I'm not exaggerating.

If anything, this is the pattern I see at my games. A little bump, no advantage, foul. What's sad is that nobody seems to complain about it. At the varsity level, they would.

Agreed.

Berkut Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659441)
Really?

Part of this, I think, is the difference between JV and Varsity basketball.

As someone who does mostly JV at the moment, the difference between bad JV basketball and decent Varsity is pretty huge as far as

A. What kind of contact a player can play through,
B. The ability of a defender to pressure without fouling, and
C. The players ability to grok what is being called and adjust accordingly.

At the varsity level, the guy getting the little bump plays right on through it - at the JV level, he takes two steps dribbles the ball off his face, falls down, and takes out a third player in the process. So you tend to be a little quicker on the whistle.

I watch plenty of Varsity games and think "Damn, that looks a LOT easier to officiate than JV...." The speed and size if faster and bigger of course, but the players are often under MUCH better control on both sides of the ball.

And as a Varsity football official who still does a lot of JV, that is often true in football as well.

Of course, the fact that JV games will generally have less experienced officials has plenty to do with it as well.

JRutledge Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:36pm

Quote:

I do not agree with that Jeff. As I say in camps I work as a clinician for our state I am often witnessing the younger and inexperienced officials they call a lot of things (not the camps you and I are going to for college). And when I work a varsity game in front of a lesser experienced officials they call a lot of things that just are not there at all. And they get a lot of crap for it. I see where you are going with this and I do agree that as a whole we could blow the whistle more, but I think there are officials that go through stages. And usually one of the stages is to not call anything for fear of criticism. And the other stage is to call everything once they realize they will get yelled at. Then finally the veteran learns that you have to have an equal balance and call what is needed, not just blow the whistle just to blow the whistle.

Peace

asdf Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659446)
Mistake?

Nah, the whistle stops the clock in every game I've worked.

It's a local thing.

What happens in a loud gym ? Not many schools have PTS.

grunewar Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berkut (Post 659461)
Part of this, I think, is the difference between JV and Varsity basketball.

As someone who does mostly JV at the moment, the difference between bad JV basketball and decent Varsity is pretty huge as far as

A. What kind of contact a player can play through,
B. The ability of a defender to pressure without fouling, and
C. The players ability to grok what is being called and adjust accordingly.

At the varsity level, the guy getting the little bump plays right on through it - at the JV level, he takes two steps dribbles the ball off his face, falls down, and takes out a third player in the process. So you tend to be a little quicker on the whistle.

I watch plenty of Varsity games and think "Damn, that looks a LOT easier to officiate than JV...." The speed and size if faster and bigger of course, but the players are often under MUCH better control on both sides of the ball

Agree. Except for that grok part - I don't know what that means.....

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berkut (Post 659461)

Those things happen at the varsity level, too, just not as often.

Patient whistles allow us to evaluate advantage/disadvantage better. Once in a while a coach will say a whistle is late. I do my best not to thank him for noticing. :D

My point is that the quick whistle in the JV game means that those guys never get to determine advantage/disadvantage. In some games, most contact would be fouls. In some of the bigger schools, though, JVs play as well as small school varsity and slower whistles would make for better flowing games.

Mark Padgett Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 659466)
Agree. Except for that grok part - I don't know what that means.....

http://rlv.zcache.com/i_grok_spock_s...86ype6_400.jpg

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 659465)
What happens in a loud gym ? Not many schools have PTS.

You blow the whistle louder or use one of those new SonikBlasts. :D

Raising the hand on an out-of-bounds call does nothing to improve the clock stopping, in my experience. The officials in non-PTS NCAA games don't raise their hands (in general) and the clock stops just fine.

grunewar Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:59pm

Thanks Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 659468)

and now, I still don't know what it means.....

LocDog249 Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 659428)
On my board the vets running the classes for the 2nd yr. refs trying to make the board literally POUNDED into our heads the need for throw-ins to take place from the proper spot. Aside from it being a rule, they pointed out how an incorrect throw-in spot can present a significant advantage/disadvantage to either the offense or defense depending on the situation.
Our JV game evaluations by the V officials has a section just on throw-ins:

That has got to hurt. I hope you have never literally "screwed the pooch" on a call...... Not a pretty sight for the fans.

Berkut Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:29pm

grok (grk)
tr.v. grok·ked, grok·king, groks Slang
To understand profoundly through intuition or empathy.

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocDog249 (Post 659487)
That has got to hurt. I hope you have never literally "screwed the pooch" on a call...... Not a pretty sight for the fans.

One of my verbal pet peeves is literally when people misuse the term "literally."

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:52pm

Back to the OP: "Talk too much."

DLH17 Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 659515)

good one.

i always try to remember that 'silence cannot be quoted'.

Berkut Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 659515)

This.

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 659516)
good one.

i always try to remember that 'silence cannot be quoted'.

And it starts in the captains/coaches meetings.

DLH17 Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 659519)
And it starts in the captains/coaches meetings.

agreed

mbyron Mon Feb 08, 2010 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 659514)
One of my verbal pet peeves is literally when people misuse the term "literally."

Me too, especially when it involves "screwing" and "the pooch."
http://www.emotty.com/images/emoticons/1139.png

MelbRef Mon Feb 08, 2010 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 659297)
MelbRef:

I would tend to agree with you. Even worse is the fact that there are many veteran officials that make the same mistake. Are you from Melbourne, Florida?

MTD, Sr.

Yes, Melbourne Florida. Great town, IMO.

jdw3018 Mon Feb 08, 2010 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berkut (Post 659419)
RE: the throw in diagram....

Why do so many officials place the ball for a throw in just outside the lane on the endline, no matter where the violation occurred along the endline (or on the court if we are "pushing" down to the endline)?

I'm a throw-in spot stickler like several of the others, and nowhere moreso than on the endline. Obviously, the ball is never put in inside the lane lines extended so anything that happens in the lane ends up at that spot just outside the lane. However, I'll move players out to the correct spot several times during each game.

"24, take a step out here for me" is a pretty common occurrence in my games.

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2010 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 659543)
I'm a throw-in spot stickler like several of the others, and nowhere moreso than on the endline. Obviously, the ball is never put in inside the lane lines extended so anything that happens in the lane ends up at that spot just outside the lane. However, I'll move players out to the correct spot several times during each game.

"24, take a step out here for me" is a pretty common occurrence in my games.

Me too.

"42, out here."
pause while he moves a little
"Three more steps, please."
pause while he moves to the spot.
"Thank you."

Or, I'll find a marking on the floor, "Right here on the "S"."

MelbRef Mon Feb 08, 2010 02:42pm

Good points on endline throw-in spots.

From a coaches perspective (past life), you will call a timeout with the ball in the lane, to set up a final second in-bound play right under the basket.

Imagine how frustrating it would be when the ball is put in play on the sideline.

asdf Mon Feb 08, 2010 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659469)
You blow the whistle louder or use one of those new SonikBlasts. :D

Raising the hand on an out-of-bounds call does nothing to improve the clock stopping, in my experience. The officials in non-PTS NCAA games don't raise their hands (in general) and the clock stops just fine.

Why then, blow the whistle at all?

Lazy on mechanics, generally means lazy elsewhere. (in general)

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2010 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 659552)
Why then, blow the whistle at all?

Lazy on mechanics, generally means lazy elsewhere. (in general)

The trick is to find out which is "lazy" and which is simply a local difference. And if you can't figure it out quickly, perhaps making a charitable assumption is in order.

DLH17 Mon Feb 08, 2010 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 659550)

From a coaches perspective (past life), you will call a timeout with the ball in the lane, to set up a final second in-bound play right under the basket.

Imagine how frustrating it would be when the ball is put in play on the sideline.

It's been my experience that an asst coach will usually ask where the ball will be put into play after I, or my partner, report the timeout to the table.

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2010 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 659556)
It's been my experience that an asst coach will usually ask where the ball will be put into play after I, or my partner, report the timeout to the table.

I had a game last week where the AC would ask every time. Other than that, I've been asked less than 5 times all year.

DLH17 Mon Feb 08, 2010 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 659557)
I had a game last week where the AC would ask every time. Other than that, I've been asked less than 5 times all year.

I always make sure my and partner and I know where the ball will be inbounded. Is there NFHS protocol for notifiying one or both coaches/benches?

jdw3018 Mon Feb 08, 2010 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 659550)

This is why, in addition to making sure I've designated a spot after granting a timeout (and before reporting it) I am also a big believe in proper mechanics. An official should be at the throw-in spot with the ball. If you're wondering around with the ball, coaches can get confused about where the throw-in spot will be.

DLH17 Mon Feb 08, 2010 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 659562)
This is why, in addition to making sure I've designated a spot after granting a timeout (and before reporting it) I am also a big believe in proper mechanics. An official should be at the throw-in spot with the ball. If you're wondering around with the ball, coaches can get confused about where the throw-in spot will be.

If that is all we are required to do (which we doo doo), then that answers the question. :)

jdw3018 Mon Feb 08, 2010 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 659563)
If that is all we are required to do (which we doo doo), then that answers the question. :)

Yep, proper mechanics will notify anyone who wants to know. That said, if someone comes out of the huddle to ask we should definitely indicate for them.

It's helpful if you can point to your P and say "right where he's standing."

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 659554)
The trick is to find out which is "lazy" and which is simply a local difference. And if you can't figure it out quickly, perhaps making a charitable assumption is in order.

This.

My favorite officials to watch (sarcasm alert) are the ones who call an out of bounds by just raising their hands and then not pointing at all (perhaps they are just calling out a color verbally, but who knows since I can't hear them from the stands).

We all have our things and there are regional differences everywhere. One of my peeves is the official who doesn't whistle in subs -- in other areas this is perfectly normal. When in Rome, I guess...

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2010 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 659560)
I always make sure my and partner and I know where the ball will be inbounded. Is there NFHS protocol for notifiying one or both coaches/benches?

That's why the timeout mechanic has one official standing at the spot. If they ask, I'll say "right here" or point to the sideline if I'm standing in front of the bench where the throwin will be.

Rock Chalk Mon Feb 08, 2010 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659570)
This.

My favorite officials to watch (sarcasm alert) are the ones who call an out of bounds by just raising their hands and then not pointing at all (perhaps they are just calling out a color verbally, but who knows since I can't hear them from the stands).

We all have our things and there are regional differences everywhere. One of my peeves is the official who doesn't whistle in subs -- in other areas this is perfectly normal. When in Rome, I guess...

Had an observer tell our crew to not whistle in subs. He is a guy who helps on the state tournament selection. So I guess it really does matter where you are located. Was told the only time to whistle in subs is if there is no horn.

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Chalk (Post 659649)
Had an observer tell our crew to not whistle in subs. He is a guy who helps on the state tournament selection. So I guess it really does matter where you are located. Was told the only time to whistle in subs is if there is no horn.

Which is in direct opposition to the NFHS manual.

In other words, follow the golden rule. He who has the gold.....

KJUmp Mon Feb 08, 2010 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 659464)
I do not agree with that Jeff. As I say in camps I work as a clinician for our state I am often witnessing the younger and inexperienced officials they call a lot of things (not the camps you and I are going to for college). And when I work a varsity game in front of a lesser experienced officials they call a lot of things that just are not there at all. And they get a lot of crap for it. I see where you are going with this and I do agree that as a whole we could blow the whistle more, but I think there are officials that go through stages. And usually one of the stages is to not call anything for fear of criticism. And the other stage is to call everything once they realize they will get yelled at. Then finally the veteran learns that you have to have an equal balance and call what is needed, not just blow the whistle just to blow the whistle.

Peace

2 years in, and I feel I'm still trying to get a "feel" and a recognition for that balance. It's probably the single biggest thing I take notice of when I watch good experienced refs work the V game that follows my JV.
I'm slowly getting better in a lot of areas....still have a long way to go in that one.

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 659672)
2 years in, and I feel I'm still trying to get a "feel" and a recognition for that balance. It's probably the single biggest thing I take notice of when I watch good experienced refs work the V game that follows my JV.
I'm slowly getting better in a lot of areas....still have a long way to go in that one.

Acknowledging the balance is there is the first step. Getting past the "a foul is a foul" mentality is required.

BillyMac Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:54pm

Love To Yank Assistant Coache's Chains ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 659548)
I'll find a marking on the floor, "Right here on the "S"."

During a timeout an assistant coach came out of the huddle to ask me where the throwin would be. I pointed to the endline and said, "Right between the T and the S". He replied, "Thanks". I think he thought I was being serious.

buckrog64 Tue Feb 09, 2010 05:49pm

Where's the throw-in? is one less question to be asked if the refs are in proper position, but coaches don't always realize that. Sometimes they can't even look at bench to figure out who has the possession of the ball at the beginning of a quarter. Maybe if a crowd is getting excited, I might be a few steps in from the side line, at the throw-in site. Otherwise, if I have the administration for the throw in, where I am, you also will be.

JRutledge Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopsaddict (Post 660155)
The problem is that more refs than not actually don't stand at the spot, thus the coach having to ask where the spot is. Further officials do not always administor the throw-in at the proper spot hence the need to ask.

You are not supposed to stand at the spot. At least not all the time or even in many situations it is not possible or recommended.

Peace

Adam Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 660218)
You are not supposed to stand at the spot. At least not all the time or even in many situations it is not possible or recommended.

Peace

Must be an Illinois thing. Fed mechanics have one official at the spot unless the spot is at or near either bench.

JRutledge Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 660229)
Must be an Illinois thing. Fed mechanics have one official at the spot unless the spot is at or near either bench.

You do not stand at the spot if the ball is right by the table. So no it is not an Illinois thing, it is a common sense thing. And the ball can be placed on the floor, but if you have cheerleaders that is not practical a good portion of the time. So no it has nothing to do with my state, it has to do with common sense. And because someone does not do that to the letter, I would not call that a mistake. Mechanics are recommendation, not absolutes in all situations.

Peace

Adam Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 660230)
You do not stand at the spot if the ball is right by the table. So no it is not an Illinois thing, it is a common sense thing. And the ball can be placed on the floor, but if you have cheerleaders that is not practical a good portion of the time. So no it has nothing to do with my state, it has to do with common sense. And because someone does not do that to the letter, I would not call that a mistake. Mechanics are recommendation, not absolutes in all situations.

Peace

Oh, I agree with this. I just thought you meant something different when you said "you're not supposed to stand at the spot." A small percentage of the spots are at the bench or table, and it's not common that I need to leave the spot for any reason.

JRutledge Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 660233)
Oh, I agree with this. I just thought you meant something different when you said "you're not supposed to stand at the spot." A small percentage of the spots are at the bench or table, and it's not common that I need to leave the spot for any reason.

I do not know anyone that stands directly at that spot opposite the table either. In many gyms you would stand right on top of the fans. Not sure I would suggest that would be done either. Not all gyms have vast room at the high school level around the court. And I believe the mechanic said in the vicinity, not right on top of the spot. But again, I do not consider this a mistake. I consider this an adjustment.

Peace

Adam Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 660236)
I do not know anyone that stands directly at that spot opposite the table either. In many gyms you would stand right on top of the fans. Not sure I would suggest that would be done either. Not all gyms have vast room at the high school level around the court. And I believe the mechanic said in the vicinity, not right on top of the spot. But again, I do not consider this a mistake. I consider this an adjustment.

Peace

I agree. Most coaches ask because they weren't really paying attention to where the ball was when they requested TO. Half the time they don't even remember whose ball it is.

jdw3018 Wed Feb 10, 2010 05:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 660236)

Peace

I stand directly at the spot any time possible. I may stand a step or two onto the court if necessary due to fans but I still am out from the spot the throw-in will be administered. And, for the most part, my partners do this. Every once in a while someone doesn't but in my experience that person also tends to not follow a lot of mechanics.

This one just makes sense to me - go where you're supposed to be.

Camron Rust Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 660261)
I stand directly at the spot any time possible. I may stand a step or two onto the court if necessary due to fans but I still am out from the spot the throw-in will be administered. And, for the most part, my partners do this. Every once in a while someone doesn't but in my experience that person also tends to not follow a lot of mechanics.

Agree...always at the spot....and for this purpose, the spot includes being a few feet inbounds when there is a good reason to not be too close to the OOB lines.

JRutledge Wed Feb 10, 2010 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 660261)

I am at the "plane" of the spot, but hardly at the spot. As I said it is usually not practical for me because we have cheerleaders that like to go all over the court. And if you are at the spot, you will be in the way often. Even standing on the blocks is tough. I do not see this as a big deal or even something that is necessary. Most coaches hardly pay attention to where the spot the ball is coming in and when they ask you can tell them. I do not see the big deal in telling them. ;)

Peace