The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Most common mistake by refs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56976-most-common-mistake-refs.html)

KJUmp Mon Feb 08, 2010 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 659464)
I do not agree with that Jeff. As I say in camps I work as a clinician for our state I am often witnessing the younger and inexperienced officials they call a lot of things (not the camps you and I are going to for college). And when I work a varsity game in front of a lesser experienced officials they call a lot of things that just are not there at all. And they get a lot of crap for it. I see where you are going with this and I do agree that as a whole we could blow the whistle more, but I think there are officials that go through stages. And usually one of the stages is to not call anything for fear of criticism. And the other stage is to call everything once they realize they will get yelled at. Then finally the veteran learns that you have to have an equal balance and call what is needed, not just blow the whistle just to blow the whistle.

Peace

2 years in, and I feel I'm still trying to get a "feel" and a recognition for that balance. It's probably the single biggest thing I take notice of when I watch good experienced refs work the V game that follows my JV.
I'm slowly getting better in a lot of areas....still have a long way to go in that one.

Adam Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 659672)
2 years in, and I feel I'm still trying to get a "feel" and a recognition for that balance. It's probably the single biggest thing I take notice of when I watch good experienced refs work the V game that follows my JV.
I'm slowly getting better in a lot of areas....still have a long way to go in that one.

Acknowledging the balance is there is the first step. Getting past the "a foul is a foul" mentality is required.

BillyMac Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:54pm

Love To Yank Assistant Coache's Chains ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 659548)
I'll find a marking on the floor, "Right here on the "S"."

During a timeout an assistant coach came out of the huddle to ask me where the throwin would be. I pointed to the endline and said, "Right between the T and the S". He replied, "Thanks". I think he thought I was being serious.

buckrog64 Tue Feb 09, 2010 05:49pm

Where's the throw-in? is one less question to be asked if the refs are in proper position, but coaches don't always realize that. Sometimes they can't even look at bench to figure out who has the possession of the ball at the beginning of a quarter. Maybe if a crowd is getting excited, I might be a few steps in from the side line, at the throw-in site. Otherwise, if I have the administration for the throw in, where I am, you also will be.

JRutledge Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopsaddict (Post 660155)
The problem is that more refs than not actually don't stand at the spot, thus the coach having to ask where the spot is. Further officials do not always administor the throw-in at the proper spot hence the need to ask.

You are not supposed to stand at the spot. At least not all the time or even in many situations it is not possible or recommended.

Peace

Adam Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 660218)
You are not supposed to stand at the spot. At least not all the time or even in many situations it is not possible or recommended.

Peace

Must be an Illinois thing. Fed mechanics have one official at the spot unless the spot is at or near either bench.

JRutledge Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 660229)
Must be an Illinois thing. Fed mechanics have one official at the spot unless the spot is at or near either bench.

You do not stand at the spot if the ball is right by the table. So no it is not an Illinois thing, it is a common sense thing. And the ball can be placed on the floor, but if you have cheerleaders that is not practical a good portion of the time. So no it has nothing to do with my state, it has to do with common sense. And because someone does not do that to the letter, I would not call that a mistake. Mechanics are recommendation, not absolutes in all situations.

Peace

Adam Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 660230)
You do not stand at the spot if the ball is right by the table. So no it is not an Illinois thing, it is a common sense thing. And the ball can be placed on the floor, but if you have cheerleaders that is not practical a good portion of the time. So no it has nothing to do with my state, it has to do with common sense. And because someone does not do that to the letter, I would not call that a mistake. Mechanics are recommendation, not absolutes in all situations.

Peace

Oh, I agree with this. I just thought you meant something different when you said "you're not supposed to stand at the spot." A small percentage of the spots are at the bench or table, and it's not common that I need to leave the spot for any reason.

JRutledge Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 660233)
Oh, I agree with this. I just thought you meant something different when you said "you're not supposed to stand at the spot." A small percentage of the spots are at the bench or table, and it's not common that I need to leave the spot for any reason.

I do not know anyone that stands directly at that spot opposite the table either. In many gyms you would stand right on top of the fans. Not sure I would suggest that would be done either. Not all gyms have vast room at the high school level around the court. And I believe the mechanic said in the vicinity, not right on top of the spot. But again, I do not consider this a mistake. I consider this an adjustment.

Peace

Adam Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 660236)
I do not know anyone that stands directly at that spot opposite the table either. In many gyms you would stand right on top of the fans. Not sure I would suggest that would be done either. Not all gyms have vast room at the high school level around the court. And I believe the mechanic said in the vicinity, not right on top of the spot. But again, I do not consider this a mistake. I consider this an adjustment.

Peace

I agree. Most coaches ask because they weren't really paying attention to where the ball was when they requested TO. Half the time they don't even remember whose ball it is.

jdw3018 Wed Feb 10, 2010 05:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 660236)

Peace

I stand directly at the spot any time possible. I may stand a step or two onto the court if necessary due to fans but I still am out from the spot the throw-in will be administered. And, for the most part, my partners do this. Every once in a while someone doesn't but in my experience that person also tends to not follow a lot of mechanics.

This one just makes sense to me - go where you're supposed to be.

Camron Rust Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 660261)
I stand directly at the spot any time possible. I may stand a step or two onto the court if necessary due to fans but I still am out from the spot the throw-in will be administered. And, for the most part, my partners do this. Every once in a while someone doesn't but in my experience that person also tends to not follow a lot of mechanics.

Agree...always at the spot....and for this purpose, the spot includes being a few feet inbounds when there is a good reason to not be too close to the OOB lines.

JRutledge Wed Feb 10, 2010 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 660261)

I am at the "plane" of the spot, but hardly at the spot. As I said it is usually not practical for me because we have cheerleaders that like to go all over the court. And if you are at the spot, you will be in the way often. Even standing on the blocks is tough. I do not see this as a big deal or even something that is necessary. Most coaches hardly pay attention to where the spot the ball is coming in and when they ask you can tell them. I do not see the big deal in telling them. ;)

Peace