The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Most common mistake by refs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56976-most-common-mistake-refs.html)

justacoach Sun Feb 07, 2010 05:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 659303)
After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3582/...70756e11_m.jpg

Had a seasoned partner use this diagram to emphasize the throw-in locations could only be the specific spots where the arrows point, especially on the sidelines. Still have scars on my lips as I bit myself to avoid laughing in his face.

BillyMac Sun Feb 07, 2010 05:55pm

It's Already There ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 659309)
This one may be worthy of a spot on Billy Mac's list.

After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.

And, it's not my list, I'm only the keeper of the list.

just another ref Sun Feb 07, 2010 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 659322)

And, it's not my list, I'm only the keeper of the list.

So it is worthy.

Rich Sun Feb 07, 2010 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpea (Post 659307)
the most common mistake that officials make (at any level or at any experience level) is simply....not blowing the whistle enough.

99.99999% of problems in a game come from not blowing the whistle. the "default" that most new officials have (which carries over to their later years) is to not blow the whistle.

How do explain those officials then who call every bit of contact a foul?

Sure, they may avoid "problems" but they're calling a horrible game.

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659340)

By that standard, I guess my partner and I must have called a wonderful game this afternoon (before the Super Bowl). Seventh grade girls - we called a total of only 8 fouls in the entire game! Not a peep from either coach. Final score was 47-17. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Oh yeah - one girl had two of the fouls. I guess she should be considered "The Enforcer". :D

JRutledge Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659340)

I notice this a lot at camps I am evaluating at or ones I attend for mostly high school officials. There are a lot of calls that I see made that are clearly not fouls or that are not violations. And it really goes for traveling violations. There are many of those that just are not there or not control of the ball.

dsqrddgd909 Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 659303)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3582/...70756e11_m.jpg

I will say that I am sometimes unsure on the spot for a throw-in, particularly when a violation or foul is midway between the lane and the arc, if it's sideline or endline.

grunewar Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 659350)
By that standard, I guess my partner and I must have called a wonderful game this afternoon (before the Super Bowl). Seventh grade girls - we called a total of only 8 fouls in the entire game! Not a peep from either coach. Final score was 47-17. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Oh yeah - one girl had two of the fouls. I guess she should be considered "The Enforcer". :D

Maybe everyone was just anxious to get home for the game?! ;)

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 07:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 659374)
I will say that I am sometimes unsure on the spot for a throw-in, particularly when a violation or foul is midway between the lane and the arc, if it's sideline or endline.

It would be more helpful if everything inside the arc would go baseline, but mainly you just have to look, make a judgment, and designate the spot. When I work with a partner who doesn't give a spot on a foul or violation, I will go to where I think it is coming in and will try to get the partner to verify. If I can't, I use my best judgment. It's one of my pet peeves.

grunewar Mon Feb 08, 2010 08:21am

Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659389)
It would be more helpful if everything inside the arc would go baseline, but mainly you just have to look, make a judgment, and designate the spot. When I work with a partner who doesn't give a spot on a foul or violation, I will go to where I think it is coming in and will try to get the partner to verify. If I can't, I use my best judgment. It's one of my pet peeves.

Hence, why I brought it up back at Post #8.

It's actually one of the few times I might blow my whistle more than once - when I want to get my partner's attention and show him OVER THERE, not where you are now. Where I'm pointing (and pointed to earlier)! And, I'm only going to do this if my P is off by a lot (like when they're on the endline when it should be on the sideline or he's near the free throw lane extended and it should be near the corner).

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 659398)
Hence, why I brought it up back at Post #8.

It's actually one of the few times I might blow my whistle more than once - when I want to get my partner's attention and show him OVER THERE, not where you are now. Where I'm pointing (and pointed to earlier)! And, I'm only going to do this if my P is off by a lot (like when they're on the endline when it should be on the sideline or he's near the free throw lane extended and it should be near the corner).

The thing that aggravates me is when officials go to the spot they're already at just cause it's easier for them. Like when it's obvious we should go sideline and they go endline cause they're already standing there. Or when the throw-in should be opposite side of the lane and they don't go cause they would have to switch sides....

And when I make a call and designate a spot, I expect we go to that spot. If not, I will tweet my whistle and put the administering official there....

grunewar Mon Feb 08, 2010 08:43am

And while we're at it......

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659401)
Or when the throw-in should be opposite side of the lane and they don't go cause they would have to switch sides...

Yep, I'm also not a big fan of the administering official bouncing the ball under the basket across the lane so they don't have to walk a l l t h e w a y over to the player and they can stay where they are. :(

Rich Mon Feb 08, 2010 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 659402)
Yep, I'm also not a big fan of the administering official bouncing the ball under the basket across the lane so they don't have to walk a l l t h e w a y over to the player and they can stay where they are. :(

We don't do it in HS games, but I'd have no problem if we incorporated that mechanic. I can manage a throw-in just as easily "tossing across."

grunewar Mon Feb 08, 2010 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 659403)
We don't do it in HS games, but I'd have no problem if we incorporated that mechanic. I can manage a throw-in just as easily "tossing across."

Understand. My only real issue with it is when I think my partner is going to cross over to the spot and hand the ball and as the new L I cross over and then they bounce the ball across the lane and I have to go back. I just feel silly.

Could probably pre-game it, but it doesn't come up that much.

DLH17 Mon Feb 08, 2010 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 659355)
I notice this a lot at camps I am evaluating at or ones I attend for mostly high school officials. There are a lot of calls that I see made that are clearly not fouls or that are not violations. And it really goes for traveling violations. There are many of those that just are not there or not control of the ball.

That statement reminds me of a lesson I learned early in my modest career (from the trail position on 2 man crew) - pass on the urge to call a traveling violation IF you cannot see the ball. It sounds like a no brainer - however, I got caught up in watching the ballhandler begin a drive to the bucket from my zone to the baseline where he appeared to take too many steps with possession of the ball. In fact, his back was to me....the lead official had a clear view of the ball...ballhandler had lost control of the ball....and I blew my whistle. Mistake.

Ouch.

Never again.

I see it all the time now, though. Great teaching point.