LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:20am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quite the Diplomat.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
"Sorry, but I'm here to enjoy the game, not critique my associates"
And, if you drive a hundred and fifty miles north west, I've got a job for you!
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
"Sorry, but I'm here to enjoy the game, not critique my associates"
The way that many people understand the word 'critique', they would interpret this as saying that the officials screwed up.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 01:03pm
We don't rent pigs

Here's the bottom line. I didn't say anything about my partners, that I wouldn't say in front of my partners or to my partners.

My partners were both kind of in over their heads. No, I never said this part, but everybody knew it.

What I said was, I tried to do a little (a lot) extra in order to help my less experienced crew members out, and to keep the game under control.

What was the net result? It's in the eyes of the beholders.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 01:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
1) Here's the bottom line. I didn't say anything about my partners, that I wouldn't say in front of my partners or to my partners.

2) What I said was, I tried to do a little (a lot) extra in order to help my less experienced crew members out, and to keep the game under control.

3) What was the net result? It's in the eyes of the beholders.
1) You would have said something like that in front of your partners to a coach? Have you got a death wish? Here's the bottom line. You shouldn't say anything about your partners to coaches, fans, etc. Ever!

2) And what you really said was your partners were bad and ol' JAR had to come to the rescue. And you said it to a coach.

3) The net result is that you threw 'em under the bus, JAR. And methinks every single beholder on here has told you that so far, some nicer than others.

Time to let it go. You ain't gonna change your mind, none of us are gonna change it for you, and you sureasheck will never change mine.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 01:38pm
We don't rent pigs

Here's a twist. I hadn't thought about this until now. It just so happens that several years ago, my second year to be registered and to call varsity games, I was sent to this same school. It was two whistle then, and my partner was a guy who was also registered for the second time. I had done lots of jr. high and rec games, partner had done some, but not as many. The two of us together had called less than 10 varsity games total. We were basically in the same position as my two partners in this one, but with no veteran guy to steady the ship. I was understandably apprehensive before the game, and very surprised to have gotten this assignment with this partner.

What if I'd seen one of the coaches the day after this one? The girls coach at the time was one of our association officials. In fact, he was one of the guys who awarded the 3 free throws on the intentional foul. What if I'd seen him the next day.

"Hey, man. We were kind of in over our heads last night. I hope the game didn't look too bad."

Would this be acceptable? Or would it only be acceptable because this guy was an official? He was the only one of the four that I knew that night. Both boys coaches in this last game are pretty good friends of mine. Is that a factor at all in anyone's assessment?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 02:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Give Them The Benefit Of The Doubt ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
"I didn't see it," or maybe, "I'm not sure what the call was," which might be more honest. Of all the things you might say here, this is probably the best.
Agree. Also, "It's usually two shots for an intentional, but maybe they had something else. I'll talk to them later. I'd like to know what they saw on that play. I'm probably missing something sitting here".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

After reading this whole thread, here's my two cents

-In a three whistle crew, thee is no reason to fish in another persons pond. If you are the strongest official then use that in game management and dealing with the coaches.

-The reasons for fishing in another's pond with two weak partners are the same as if you were with two strong partners... I would not go chasing calls or expanding your area... I would be aware of what's going on but sometimes partners have to live and die by their calls

-I would not be the one who gets labeled as a bad partner and sometimes chasing calls will give reoutation as a bad partner.

- Talk about plays with them so they can get them right.

-By expanding your area you may be guessing at calls that you should not be guessing on. Maybe they actually did see the play and passed on it. Were there any mariginal calls that were made worse by calling it..

-Did this cause the game to have less of a flow?

-Sometimes you have a bad partner and GIGDGO
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 06:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pond ??? I'm Sure That You Meant To Say Lake ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
There is no reason to fish in another persons pond.
Lake Chaubunagungamaug is a lake in the town of Webster, Massachusetts. The name comes from Nipmuc, an Algonquian language, and is believed to mean, "You fish on your side, I fish on my side, and nobody fish in the middle".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 07:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Lake Chaubunagungamaug is a lake in the town of Webster, Massachusetts. The name comes from Nipmuc, an Algonquian language, and is believed to mean, "You fish on your side, I fish on my side, and nobody fish in the middle".
I bet there's lotsa fouls in the middle.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Here's the bottom line. I didn't say anything about my partners, that I wouldn't say in front of my partners or to my partners.

My partners were both kind of in over their heads. No, I never said this part, but everybody knew it.

What I said was, I tried to do a little (a lot) extra in order to help my less experienced crew members out, and to keep the game under control.

What was the net result? It's in the eyes of the beholders.
My my, thank heaven for you.

Real leaders make those around them better. And then there's 'leaders' like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
1) You would have said something like that in front of your partners to a coach? Have you got a death wish? Here's the bottom line. You shouldn't say anything about your partners to coaches, fans, etc. Ever!

2) And what you really said was your partners were bad and ol' JAR had to come to the rescue. And you said it to a coach.

3) The net result is that you threw 'em under the bus, JAR. And methinks every single beholder on here has told you that so far, some nicer than others.

Time to let it go. You ain't gonna change your mind, none of us are gonna change it for you, and you sureasheck will never change mine.
What he said.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

My question to you is how did you try to engage your crew during the game?

Good crew chiefs elevate their crew's game by supporting and reinforcing their partners.

Both partners were varsity officials and need to be trusted to handle the consequences of their calls/no calls. If there is a non-basketball play, then absolutely go get it for the good of the game. But outside of that, I would highly discourage making calls "70 ft. from the play."
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Good. Now you're lumped in with the clowns that would throw their partners under a bus instead. Yup, good choice.

There was the other option. Rich and Kingsman gave us the professional way. You don't criticize your fellow officials publically with non-officials. If you have complaints, feedback, etc., re: your officiating brethren, by all means bring 'em forth. But keep it in-house.
What partners? I'm talking about the play where the two officials awarded three FTs for an intentional foul. If I'm sitting with friends, and this happens, and they know and I know that we all are seeing the same thing and they ask me about it, I'm going to simply say "Yeah, it should be two FTs". I'm not talking about inciting a crowd of rednecks to heckle fellow officials....of course I wouldn't do that.

Please explain how they could possible "Have something else" on this play?

For the record, I would not have handled the situation at BK like JAR did. That is throwing your partners under the bus IMO.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 12:17am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
What partners? I'm talking about the play where the two officials awarded three FTs for an intentional foul. If I'm sitting with friends, and this happens, and they know and I know that we all are seeing the same thing and they ask me about it, I'm going to simply say "Yeah, it should be two FTs". I'm not talking about inciting a crowd of rednecks to heckle fellow officials....of course I wouldn't do that.

Please explain how they could possible "Have something else" on this play?
What they could have had was a shooting foul (bucket was good) followed by a T, but that was clearly not what was signaled. Verified later that intentional foul was the call, but the penalty was improperly awarded.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 12:47am.