View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 01:38pm
We don't rent pigs

Here's a twist. I hadn't thought about this until now. It just so happens that several years ago, my second year to be registered and to call varsity games, I was sent to this same school. It was two whistle then, and my partner was a guy who was also registered for the second time. I had done lots of jr. high and rec games, partner had done some, but not as many. The two of us together had called less than 10 varsity games total. We were basically in the same position as my two partners in this one, but with no veteran guy to steady the ship. I was understandably apprehensive before the game, and very surprised to have gotten this assignment with this partner.

What if I'd seen one of the coaches the day after this one? The girls coach at the time was one of our association officials. In fact, he was one of the guys who awarded the 3 free throws on the intentional foul. What if I'd seen him the next day.

"Hey, man. We were kind of in over our heads last night. I hope the game didn't look too bad."

Would this be acceptable? Or would it only be acceptable because this guy was an official? He was the only one of the four that I knew that night. Both boys coaches in this last game are pretty good friends of mine. Is that a factor at all in anyone's assessment?

Lonesome Dove