The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Rep, look in the rule book under player control. Rule is 4-12. Your partner did not make a good call.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
1)Just a thought... if the ball was batted in an attempt to get the ball away from the defense or to a teammate, wouldn't that be considered a controlled pass?

2) We had this happen in my Boys Freshmen game on Wednesday. I'm trail, my partner's lead. A is offense, B is defense. Shot goes up, misses, players trying to rebound and eventually the ball gets to the floor and someone just batted the ball to the backcourt. I couldn't see who it was, as it was outside the lane opposite to me where my partner would have had the better view. Ball goes almost to the opposite endline and the A1 regained possession. Not having any clue if there was any absolute team control I didn't blow anything and left that up to my partner to call. He blew his whistle and called backcourt. We got together and I asked him what he saw as I couldn't see anything. He said that the ball was on the ground and during the "fight for the ball" A2 pushed the ball into the back court with one hand. I told him good call, as it was with intent to get it away from the opponents and to a teammate.
1) What if it was? You still can't have a backcourt violation until player control is established.

2) See #1. Wrong call by your partner and wrong interpretation of the rule by you..
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Rep, look in the rule book under player control. Rule is 4-12. Your partner did not make a good call.
Casebook plays 4.12COMMENT and 4.12.6 might help him also.

Might.....
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Casebook plays 4.12COMMENT and 4.12.6 might help him also.
You guys are right. I did take a look at 4.12. Thanks
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
1) What if it was? You still can't have a backcourt violation until player control is established.
You can't pass the ball without player/team control though, which is why I always thought that if a player batted the ball in an attempt to "pass" it to a teammate, than you have team control.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You can't pass the ball without player/team control though, which is why I always thought that if a player batted the ball in an attempt to "pass" it to a teammate, than you have team control.
All that means is it's not technically a "pass," by rule, even if it's considered that by fans. It's a "bat," not a "pass."
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All that means is it's not technically a "pass," by rule, even if it's considered that by fans. It's a "bat," not a "pass."
Gotcha. I stand corrected, thanks
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
On a missed shot, if a player bats or tips the rebound to a teammate, would you call that a pass(as defined in rule 4-31)?
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:24pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

Read the definition of pass.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Read the definition of pass.
Fair enough, I withdraw my previous comment, but player control is still required for team control.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow View Post
last touched, first touched....backcourt, in my opinion....
That only applies once team control has been established. A touch doesn't mean team control.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

No different from a throw in by A in front court, ball touched by A1, rolls into backcourt, and picked up by A2 in BC The fans go nuts, but no BC violation.
You have to have front court control established for a BC violation to be called.
This did not happen in this case...no violation.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just a thought... if the ball was batted in an attempt to get the ball away from the defense or to a teammate, wouldn't that be considered a controlled pass?

We had this happen in my Boys Freshmen game on Wednesday. I'm trail, my partner's lead. A is offense, B is defense. Shot goes up, misses, players trying to rebound and eventually the ball gets to the floor and someone just batted the ball to the backcourt. I couldn't see who it was, as it was outside the lane opposite to me where my partner would have had the better view. Ball goes almost to the opposite endline and the A1 regained possession. Not having any clue if there was any absolute team control I didn't blow anything and left that up to my partner to call. He blew his whistle and called backcourt. We got together and I asked him what he saw as I couldn't see anything. He said that the ball was on the ground and during the "fight for the ball" A2 pushed the ball into the back court with one hand. I told him good call, as it was with intent to get it away from the opponents and to a teammate.
Here's a thought. You need to stop telling people about the rules until you learn them yourself. You are an inexperienced, self-promoter, who is nothing more than a wet-nosed, puppy official. Right now you don't deserve anything other than a JV game. This whole situation is covered word-for-word in the Case Book, but despite what we tell you, you just won't learn. You still think that you already know everything.

4.15 COMMENT: It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble. A player
is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds
from his/her hand, when he/she fumbles, or when he/she bats a rebound or pass
away from other players who are attempting to get it
. The player is not in control
under these conditions.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Here's a thought. You need to stop telling people about the rules until you learn them yourself. You are an inexperienced, self-promoter, who is nothing more than a wet-nosed, puppy official. Right now you don't deserve anything other than a JV game. This whole situation is covered word-for-word in the Case Book, but despite what we tell you, you just won't learn. You still think that you already know everything.

4.15 COMMENT: It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble. A player
is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds
from his/her hand, when he/she fumbles, or when he/she bats a rebound or pass
away from other players who are attempting to get it
. The player is not in control
under these conditions.
Nevada, What the hell?! I'm trying my best to turn myself around, and I even admitted TWICE in this thread that I was wrong and that i stood corrected.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nevada, What the hell?! I'm trying my best to turn myself around, and I even admitted TWICE in this thread that I was wrong and that i stood corrected.
Representing, I think what Nevada is trying to say is do not post until you look it up yourself. You have been a member of this site for 2 months max and have over 400 posts. That is more posts than I have in 7 years on this site (and I officiate football and baseball too). It is a fabulous site to learn from but not if people are posting wrong rulings.

Be a lurker for a bit and listen to the vets on here (you'll know who they are after awhile). That and learning from your mistakes is how you're going to learn.