The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 266
Continuous Motion/Gathering Ball

Had a situation tonight in a JV Boys Game. I'm in the Lead position and A1 has the ball just inside the free throw line. He is dribbling parallel to the baseline and towards table side. He gathers the ball and goes up into the air. Where he was whacked. I went up with 2 shots. The coach of course wanted "on the floor" as he was dribbling towards the sideline. However, in my opinion he gathered the ball and started to turn in what I thought was a shooting motion. Sort of like a Kobe Bryant fade away.
- What do you guys see in this? Correct call?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 07:15pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Had a situation tonight in a JV Boys Game. I'm in the Lead position and A1 has the ball just inside the free throw line. He is dribbling parallel to the baseline and towards table side. He gathers the ball and goes up into the air. Where he was whacked. I went up with 2 shots. The coach of course wanted "on the floor" as he was dribbling towards the sideline. However, in my opinion he gathered the ball and started to turn in what I thought was a shooting motion. Sort of like a Kobe Bryant fade away.
- What do you guys see in this? Correct call?



Good job. Shoot two free throws.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 375
Who cares what a coach thinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
Had a situation tonight in a JV Boys Game. I'm in the Lead position and A1 has the ball just inside the free throw line. He is dribbling parallel to the baseline and towards table side. He gathers the ball and goes up into the air. Where he was whacked. I went up with 2 shots. The coach of course wanted "on the floor" as he was dribbling towards the sideline. However, in my opinion he gathered the ball and started to turn in what I thought was a shooting motion. Sort of like a Kobe Bryant fade away.
- What do you guys see in this? Correct call?

From how it is described and how I picture it in my mind I would say you made the right call. It is different than the norm, but not uncommon especially with an advanced player, faking out an opponent is a great part of basketball. Sounds like he faked out the coach too by turning in air to shoot!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 10:35pm
This IS My Social Life
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at L, T, or C
Posts: 2,379
Non Difficulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
. . . in my opinion he gathered the ball and started to turn in what I thought was a shooting motion.
Terms like "continuous motion" and "on the floor" cause confusion with what otherwise is very clear. And that is what you stated above, which merits two shots if his shooting motion did not result in a made basket.
We're depriving far too many their merited two free throws.
Banish from your officiating that term "on the floor."
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Terms like "continuous motion" and "on the floor" cause confusion with what otherwise is very clear. And that is what you stated above, which merits two shots if his shooting motion did not result in a made basket.
We're depriving far too many their merited two free throws.
Banish from your officiating that term "on the floor."
I say "before the shot" I used the term "on the floor" because the coach was arguing that there was motion in attempting a shot. What do you say?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:35pm
This IS My Social Life
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at L, T, or C
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
I say "before the shot" I used the term "on the floor" because the coach was arguing that there was motion in attempting a shot. What do you say?
"No Shot! Green ball out of bounds." (or ". . . one-and-one").

I like your "before the shot", also. Just not "On the Floor!"
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:31am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post
I say "before the shot" I used the term "on the floor" because the coach was arguing that there was motion in attempting a shot. What do you say?
"2 shots Coach"
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 354
Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Always use "NO SHOT" instead of "on the floor". My ruling is if they begin the "gather" to attempt the shot, I am lining them up. I believe it was a point of emphasis in the NCAA this season.
__________________
www.pbboa.org
www.gsoa.org
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 04:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
I yell, "Occurred prior to the starting of the continuous motion that usually leads to a shot".

Yeah, right.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 06:09pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Had a coach this year actually ask, "he can shoot from the floor?" He was questioning free throws on a foul that occurred low on the arms as the shooter was bringing the ball up off the floor to shoot in the paint.

Sadly, I couldn't help myself. "yes, it's called a set shot." Not proud of it, but he just walked away mumbling and let it go.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 07:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19,863
Unless It's A Three ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn View Post
Always use "NO SHOT" instead of "on the floor".
Agree. If this little girl gets fouled in this position, I'm giving her two shots.

__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

I was in prison and you came to visit me. (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

Sadly, I couldn't help myself. "yes, it's called a set shot." Not proud of it, but he just walked away mumbling and let it go.

+1

I have a line for when I do something I know I shouldn't, but do it anyway.

"I'm so ashamed " ......stolen from Sara Jessica Parker in some dumb girl movie.
__________________
"I'll take you home" says Geoff Tate
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:21pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
+1

I have a line for when I do something I know I shouldn't, but do it anyway.

"I'm so ashamed " ......stolen from Sara Jessica Parker in some dumb girl movie.
"Lord I apologize...and be with the pygmies in New Guinea. Amen."
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:27pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. If this little girl gets fouled in this position, I'm giving her two shots.


Billy:

I think her feet are behind the line, you better giver her three shots if she misses the shot.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:07am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Billy:

I think her feet are behind the line, you better giver her three shots if she misses the shot.

MTD, Sr.
For shooting outside the paint? You're generous (or is it chivalrous?)
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Continuous Motion slow whistle Basketball 28 Tue Jan 13, 2009 03:36pm
Continuous Motion RookieDude Basketball 16 Mon Dec 18, 2006 07:59pm
Continuous Motion or Not Sven Basketball 3 Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:48am
Continuous motion Bizket786 Basketball 5 Fri Dec 10, 2004 04:10pm
One continuous motion Prince Baseball 10 Mon Jun 02, 2003 02:03pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1