The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Thanks for the tips, but in this case it was for the T. The coach tells everyone "I don't want him here because he called a T on me for too many players on the court" etc etc etc.
Let me ask this, then.

How long had the ball been in bounds when she stepped off?
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Let me ask this, then.

How long had the ball been in bounds when she stepped off?
A second or two maybe...
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
A second or two maybe...
Borderline, IMO. Sounds like she wasn't participating when the ball was live inbounds, and she was heading towards the bench. If, by the time you saw her, she was within a step or two of the sideline, I may have let it go.

Regardless, the coach trying to block you for this is just flat stupid.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Was just thinking about a game I had two years ago. Home team substitution, one player must have misheard that she was being subbed for. My partner gives the ball to opposing team for a throw-in and ball is thrown in. I see a girl running off the court and onto the bench. She didn't affect play at all, but my instinct immediately blew the whistle for too many players on the court.

I may have messed this up... I gave a T to the player that was the extra player on the court, and an indirect to the coach. Thinking about it now, I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, and was probably thinking of soccer where an extra player gets the yellow card.

Only reason why I'm thinking of this is because I just got assigned a Girls JV at the school where this happened, and that team doesn't welcome me back in their gym for Girls JV anymore. I'm kind of secretively being assigned because if the school finds out, they'll call the assignor and try everything to get me off of that game.

What is the proper procedure for this? It's a T to the team, but nothing for coach and player right?
Funny this is being discussed because this happened to me this weekend at a Middle School tournament.

I am T on the endline in the back court while partner is in the front court handling a substitution. He gives me the ok and I put the ball in play. We go up the court and B1 fouls A1 on a shot that goes in. Partner at L calls a foul. As we're switching so partner can report...Coach B yells out "They have 6 players!!!".

I count Team A's player and by darn it they have 6. I call the technical and report the team technical and explain we'll shoot the bonus shot with the line cleared, then Team B will shoot 2 shots for the T, and then Team B gets the ball at the division line, opposite table.

Coach B is still upset...."So they get points and they had 6 players on the court? You have to take the points off?"

Me: "Coach, this is not a correctable error. We called a technical and you'll shoot 2 and get the ball but we cannot remove the points."

Coach: (Sarcasticly) "Why didn't catch this before hand".

Me: "Why didn't you?"

Coach: (Obviously taken back) "Uhh... I don't wear the black and white shirt, its not my job".

Me: "Sorry coach we don't catch everything." (Walk off...)

It wasn't my best moment...but hey we live and learn. Ha ha.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
I am T on the endline in the back court while partner is in the front court handling a substitution.
Stop right here. Why didn't you count the players before bouncing the ball to the player?

While I'm all for trusting partners, they make mistakes. It's why, in football 2 officials are tasked with counting each team's players.

Sorry, this thread hit one of my pet peeves, I guess.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
Funny this is being discussed because this happened to me this weekend at a Middle School tournament.

I am T on the endline in the back court while partner is in the front court handling a substitution. He gives me the ok and I put the ball in play. We go up the court and B1 fouls A1 on a shot that goes in. Partner at L calls a foul. As we're switching so partner can report...Coach B yells out "They have 6 players!!!".

I count Team A's player and by darn it they have 6. I call the technical and report the team technical and explain we'll shoot the bonus shot with the line cleared, then Team B will shoot 2 shots for the T, and then Team B gets the ball at the division line, opposite table.

Coach B is still upset...."So they get points and they had 6 players on the court? You have to take the points off?"

Me: "Coach, this is not a correctable error. We called a technical and you'll shoot 2 and get the ball but we cannot remove the points."

Coach: (Sarcasticly) "Why didn't catch this before hand".

Me: "Why didn't you?"

Coach: (Obviously taken back) "Uhh... I don't wear the black and white shirt, its not my job".

Me: "Sorry coach we don't catch everything." (Walk off...)

It wasn't my best moment...but hey we live and learn. Ha ha.

The NBA actually just created a rule last season to correct this situation so that the team with 6 players can't get the points earned while having too many men on the floor. Happened during a Toronto vs Portland game.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Other question: how many team technicals can a team get? I don't see anything in the rulebook about team technicals, and since it isn't an indirect to the coach it seems like they can be given as many as necessary, and it would just be two FT to the other team and ball.
Two team technicals and the team is ejected.

You should turn down any further games until you get a fundamental understanding of...

1) the rules
2) how to handle yourself professionally on and off the floor
3) no one cares that you are an official

It's not all about you. You aren't the show. Heck you shouldn't even be a side show.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Two team technicals and the team is ejected.

You should turn down any further games until you get a fundamental understanding of...

1) the rules
2) how to handle yourself professionally on and off the floor
3) no one cares that you are an official

It's not all about you. You aren't the show. Heck you shouldn't even be a side show.
Well said. Take heed ANYONE who constantly has problems with coaches, administrators, table crews, other officials, or fans. All of us have trouble now and again, but when it happens regularly, odds are there's a reason for it.

I actually told myself when I started 9 seasons ago that I would hang it up after two seasons if it was clear I wasn't a competent official. I wish more would say the same, or at least work at getting better, rather than taking the court with the attitude that they call a great game every night.

Last edited by Hartsy; Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 03:40pm. Reason: added info
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
Well said. Take heed ANYONE who constantly has problems with coaches, administrators, table crews, other officials, or fans. All of us have trouble now and again, but when it happens regularly, odds are there's a reason for it.

I actually told myself when I started 9 seasons ago that I would hang it up after two seasons if it was clear I wasn't a competent official. I wish more would say the same, or at least work at getting better, rather than taking the court with the attitude that they call a great game every night.
I certainly hope this wasn't aimed at me which I'm sure it was. I do get better every year. And I don't constantly have problems with coaches every game. You don't know me, so think before you speak out like that again. Especially someone like you who has very little posts in so many years as a member of this forum. I come here to talk about my games and learn from mature, experienced officials. I don't need someone like you heckling me and trying to force me to quit. I will not quit, but strive to do better with each game.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:03am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
I certainly hope this wasn't aimed at me which I'm sure it was. I do get better every year. And I don't constantly have problems with coaches every game. You don't know me, so think before you speak out like that again. Especially someone like you who has very little posts in so many years as a member of this forum. I come here to talk about my games and learn from mature, experienced officials. I don't need someone like you heckling me and trying to force me to quit. I will not quit, but strive to do better with each game.
In retrospect, I withdraw my suggestion that you retire from officiating. I have 2 teen-aged sons who follow this board and I can appreciate that you represent every sort of bad example that I could not possibly imagine to caution them about. Your continued recitation of your exploits not only provides for a comic interlude but also gives my guys a point of reference to allow them to see why officials are oftentimes held in such low regard by the general population. It is ignorantly oblivious officials like you that affect the reputation of all of us. Hopefully by being exposed to the comments and suggestions proffered by the knowledgeable folks on this board you will elevate yourself from being just a bad example to become a competent official. Try humbling yourself and accept valid criticisms.
Please take to heart the advice you are getting from this community.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One reason I have so few posts is that I come here to read and learn rather than to show everyone else how much I know. I post when I feel I can add something productive to the discussion, or to ask a question and listen to the answers. I don't need to keep arguing my point to find the one person who agrees with me so I can feel better about myself. Get the chip off your shoulder and take the advice here for what it is.