The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Wierd situation happened last night in a JV girls game. We had a foul, shooting two. After the first shot, B coach puts in 2 subs, and calls her guard over to talk. A makes the last free throw, b is taking ball out of bounds, throws ball away, other team scores. Team b and my partner then realizes b only has 4 players on the floor. The person the coach was talking to, took a seat on the bench during the last free throw.

My partner called an officials time out, and we let team b get the missing person on the floor. I guess we should have called a player tech for leaving the court for an unauthorised reason, if we could have remembered which player left. Any thoughts on this?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

That is not the "unauthorized reason" that the Fed refers to in the case play. Don't call a T in this situation. Just try to keep the player off the floor until the next dead ball and then beckon them in.

Z
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know what case play you are referring to, but just cause it ain't the one in the case play don't mean it ain't a T. In my mind, if they ain't leaving for an authorized reason, any other reason is "unauthorized" and should be a T.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

No T. If it were anything, it would be a violation. And I don't think it is even that.

Unauthorized reasons do not include confusion. This rule is only meant address leaving the court deliberately to gain an advantage such as getting around a screen.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
No T. If it were anything, it would be a violation. And I don't think it is even that.

Unauthorized reasons do not include confusion. This rule is only meant address leaving the court deliberately to gain an advantage such as getting around a screen.
I agree. I'd apply the "confusion" reasoning of 10.3.3B and make the team play with 4 players until a natural opportunity to substitute. If the player reentered the court during playing action, I'd then give the T.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Definatly don't stop the play, make the team play with 4 players until the next deadball nad then becon the subs in. I dont see how you could give the team a T unless some player came running onto the court