The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Several years ago a really good 4A girls team in our area had a girl playing who was a major D1 prospect (eventually played for NC State, I think). On one particular game during a holiday tourney there were several colleges present evidently giving her a look see.

She went crazy. 1st foul seconds into the game. 2nd foul less than a minute later. 3rd foul by the 3 minute mark. I was the one in the position to call all 3 and there was no way to either ignore the contact or act in "game management" mode--they were obvious and they were hers. Coach took her out briefly to talk to her and get her settled down, then put her back in.

Just seconds before the end of the quarter I was trail table side, near the half line, and the visiting team had the ball just over the line. For whatever reason this girl made a running leap to defend a pass, jumped at the ball holder, missed the pass, and pile-drove the player out of bounds into the table.

In the moment it took me to think "I've got to call this foul and it will be her 4th and the 1st quarter is not even done" my partner came over from center and made the call. At the break he said he knew it would look bad for me to call all 4, so he took it. Don't know if it was the right thing to do or not, but I never worried about him tossing me under the bus.

End of story, she went out for the rest of the half, started the second half, and fouled out (my call) in the first 2 minutes. Not her best effort. She really was a good player who had a very bad effort that night.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 05:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Isn't that a T for leaving the court without permission?
Despite your inclusion of the smiley, you really need extensive remedial rules training. Leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason hasn't been a T for several years. It has been changed to a violation and accompanying that change was a statement from the NFHS that this rule was to apply during a live ball. The situation posted has the player departing during a dead ball.

In short, you're a veritable fountain of misinformation.

Perhaps you really should hang up that whistle and return when you are more mature.