The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Early Pitch

situation is---in a case of a fastpitch pitcher who is standing on the rubber ready to pitch as the batter steps into the box and pitches the ball the instant the batter steps into the box without allowing the batter to get set- according to the general concensus of the fastpitch rules this is legal. She has been taught to do this by her parents.

Question 1 ---What should an umpire do about this, if anything?

2 -- Is holding up your hand as you step into the batters box considered a time out and does holding up her hand to the umpire stop this type of action by a pitcher.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

The umpire should take care of this on his own. I would send send the catcher out to let her know to not quick pitch.

The batters hand means nothing unless the umpire responds by holding his hand up.

When I have aggessive pitchers which do not warrant the warning about quick pitches, I normally hold my hand up to control the pace.

Quick pitches are a no pitch.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
The umpire should take care of this on his own.

Don't take this the wrong way but it brings tears of joy to my eyes when I have the fast working pitcher.

When I first started umpiring this caused me untold grief. I let the pitchers get away with this TOO MUCH. I have solved this headache now. I control the pace and quick pitches are no pitches.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
The umpire should take care of this on his own. I would send send the catcher out to let her know to not quick pitch.

The batters hand means nothing unless the umpire responds by holding his hand up.

When I have aggessive pitchers which do not warrant the warning about quick pitches, I normally hold my hand up to control the pace.

Agree.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP
situation is---in a case of a fastpitch pitcher who is standing on the rubber ready to pitch as the batter steps into the box and pitches the ball the instant the batter steps into the box without allowing the batter to get set- according to the general concensus of the fastpitch rules this is legal. She has been taught to do this by her parents.

Question 1 ---What should an umpire do about this, if anything?

2 -- Is holding up your hand as you step into the batters box considered a time out and does holding up her hand to the umpire stop this type of action by a pitcher.
Interesting consensus. I guess they didn't read this:
Quote:
ASA Rule 6 (Fast pitch)
Section 10. NO PITCH.
No pitch shall be declared when:
B. The pitcher attempts a quick return of the ball before the batter has taken a position in the batter’s box or when the batter is off balance.
EFFECT - Section 10 A-E: The ball is dead, and all subsequent action on that pitch is canceled.

NFHS Rule 6
SECTION 2 INFRACTIONS BY PITCHER (F.P.)
ART. 4 . . . No pitch shall be declared when:
b. the pitcher attempts a quick return of the ball before the batter has taken position or is off balance as a result of a previous pitch.
PENALTY: (Art. 4a through d) The ball is dead immediately and all subsequent action on that pitch is canceled.
What should the umpire do? Declare a dead ball, no pitch, just like the rule book says.

Although you didn't say, I would also have my doubts such a pitcher is properly taking (or simulating taking) her signals, and that is an illegal pitch. My doubts are based on the fact that her pitching mechanics seem to be focused on catching the batter off guard as her primary goal.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

If the quick pitch were allowed to happen, I agree whole heartedly with you Tom. What I was talking about was preventing it in the first place. I will hold up play until the batter is set with such pitchers.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with not allowing the quick pitch.

I would like some thoughts and opinions on this situation:

We have a pitcher around here that has a very short windup and throws hard. She will be standing on the pitcher's plate with hands seperated as the batter steps into the box. As soon (and I mean instantly) as the batter is set, the ball is on it's way. It's hard to describe, but opposing coaches and batters are constantly complaining. If the batter comes into the box with her hand up and the umpire responds by holding his hand up to the pitcher, the ball will be on it's way as soon as the hand is dropped. I have been behind the plate a few times when she is pitching and have not called the quick pitch. I have also taken some grief from coaches about it. What do you think?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy

... If the batter comes into the box with her hand up and the umpire responds by holding his hand up to the pitcher, the ball will be on it's way as soon as the hand is dropped. ...
I sure don't want to discourage a pitcher from working fast -- but I had one like Andy's earlier this year. I sent the catcher out with a message that if the Blue doesn't have time to comfortably get in position, the strike zone tends to get smaller. No problem after that.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We have a pitcher around here that has a very short windup and throws hard. She will be standing on the pitcher's plate with hands seperated as the batter steps into the box. As soon (and I mean instantly) as the batter is set, the ball is on it's way. It's hard to describe, but opposing coaches and batters are constantly complaining. If the batter comes into the box with her hand up and the umpire responds by holding his hand up to the pitcher, the ball will be on it's way as soon as the hand is dropped. I have been behind the plate a few times when she is pitching and have not called the quick pitch. I have also taken some grief from coaches about it. What do you think?

Well, I call SP, but quick pitches are still in the SP rules. I always, ALWAYS hold up the pitch until I see the batter is ready and looking at the pitcher, especially if the pitcher is one that constantly tries to "push it." If I'm about to signal to the pitcher to pitch, but notice that he's already starting his motion, I'll continue to hold the "no pitch" signal.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the discussion by coaches and parents on this matter. As you will see a lot of the people responding didnt have a clear picture of what was happening.
http://www.kcfastpitch.com/modules.p...c&t=5227#21514
Thanks for the feed back
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP
Here is the discussion by coaches and parents on this matter. As you will see a lot of the people responding didnt have a clear picture of what was happening.
http://www.kcfastpitch.com/modules.p...c&t=5227#21514
Thanks for the feed back
You're right. These folks haven't got a clue. Of course, neither did the umpire.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

A fast working pitcher is not necessarily a "quick pitch". Just hold em up for a bit and enjoy it. It MIGHT BE.. Thats for you to judge and take the appropriate action.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Any motion clips available?