The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

View Poll Results: Block, Charge or No Call?
Block? 4 5.97%
Charge? 61 91.04%
No Call? 2 2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Block? Charge? No call?

Had this play in my game the other day......at half time my partner and I talked about the play and differed on opinions, so I thought I'd get a few additional opinions.

YouTube - BlockCharge1 2010_01_14_00_38_14.avi

Last edited by Clark Kent; Thu Jan 14, 2010 at 03:34am.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

PC

Not great mechanics by the crew on the double whistle. Notice the T halfway into his block call.
Either that or he's waving off a try that didn't go in.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Tweet. Offense.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

i'd say the green dude had legal guarding position- offensive.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Had this play in my game the other day......at half time my partner and I talked about the play and differed on opinions, so I thought I'd get a few additional opinions.

YouTube - BlockCharge1 2010_01_14_00_38_14.avi

What did you end up going with? Did you talk about double whistles??
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 05:58am
Do not give a damn!!

PC or nothing. I saw a player fall, but I did not see a lot of contact. Then again the angle was terrible.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Player Control Foul. Looks like the trail was actually waving off the basket -- likely calling a PC foul. Hard to tell what the lead had. But, since they must have disagreed -- otherwise we wouldn't be talking about it -- the lead must have had a block. The only reason to wave a shot off while still in flight would be for a PC foul. If the lead had a block, well, uh oh.

I can see a double whistle in this situation since the contact was just on the edge of the lane. Some officials pregame "I have the drive all the way to the basket from my side of the floor (similar to C taking it in 3 Man).
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Defender had legal guarding position, contact by the ball handler. Tweet, going the other way!!!!
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Player Control Foul. Looks like the trail was actually waving off the basket -- likely calling a PC foul. Hard to tell what the lead had. But, since they must have disagreed -- otherwise we wouldn't be talking about it -- the lead must have had a block. The only reason to wave a shot off while still in flight would be for a PC foul. If the lead had a block, well, uh oh.

I can see a double whistle in this situation since the contact was just on the edge of the lane. Some officials pregame "I have the drive all the way to the basket from my side of the floor (similar to C taking it in 3 Man).
He's either getting ready to wave it off and go PC or pound his hips with a block signal. Not sure which.

I've got PC on this. Could see someone going no-call as the defender started backwards and there wasn't a ton of contact, and it appears the shooter may have contacted the defender "off-center" rather than straight on. Contact still appears to be in the torso, however...

Might add: Trail is signaling early when this definitely occurs in L's primary...

Last edited by jdw3018; Thu Jan 14, 2010 at 09:52am.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
PC or nothing. I saw a player fall, but I did not see a lot of contact. Then again the angle was terrible.

Peace
I don't see this being a no call...there is a lot of contact and both players hit the floor...either way there has to be a whistle on this play.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
pc or nothing. I saw a player fall, but i did not see a lot of contact. Then again the angle was terrible.

Peace
+1
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
PC

Not great mechanics by the crew on the double whistle. Notice the T halfway into his block call.
Either that or he's waving off a try that didn't go in.
Or the start of a made three........!
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

The angle is bad from the stands. I have a charge as does alot of others...BUT. Can't tell if the defender is bailing out early (flopping) and if the contact is square in the chest (charge) or contact is slight along the defenders right side, while he is bailing (no call).

But initial call is OFFENSE!

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

in my honest opinion, it looked like a block. Take a closer look, the player with the ball picked up the dribble and just at that moment you can see the defensive player takes a jump forward. He lost his previous guarding position and I don't think he was in his new guarding position long enough before contact. I would have called a block for sure, but I'd have had to be there for a better answer.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I got some a really good perspective on the whole block/charge thing from one of my partners last Fri. He is a guy who worked the state finals years ago, D1, and then just recently retired after a long NBA career. His position was that officials at all levels don't call nearly enough PC fouls because 1) there is a distorted consensus about what makes up a pc foul and 2) officials aren't sure what to call a lot of times and the default is to go with a block or no call if you aren't sure . It is sort of along the lines of why there aren't enough T's called, a lot of officials just default to ignoring unsportsmanlike conduct rather than dealing with it - once you accept that PC fouls (like techs) are just another foul and there doesn't need to be a lot of drama, it makes it much easier to call. I couldn't agree with this more and I know I myself am guilty of it at times. I'm trying to really focus on the fact that there doesn't need to be a huge crash with bodies on the floor in order to have a pc foul. If you have a player with LGP and there is contact that displaces that defender you have a pc foul - and leaning back, turning to absorb contact, those are not things that cause it to NOT be a pc foul.