The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 11:23am
Official & Member

The Spin Move

I searched for previous threads on this topic but I came up empty. I apologize if it's been debated already.

In the past couple weeks I have watched multiple NCAA games. With the benefit of a DVR with pause/rewind function, I have been analyzing the spin move. In the vast majority of instances (I'd say 10 out of 12), it is CLEARLY a travel. The other two were inconclusive due to traffic in the lane. The key obviously is finding and watching what happens with the pivot foot. My interest in this move resulted from a recent game of mine where I whistled a B-V player THREE times for traveling while attempting spin moves. Coach claimed nobody whistled the kid all season for it, and I believe him. Therein lies my frustration. Very few of my peers seem to be calling it. Very few NCAA D1 officials seem to call it.

Am I on an island here? Should I just lay off and go with the flow?

I welcome all opinions.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 11:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I searched for previous threads on this topic but I came up empty. I apologize if it's been debated already.

In the past couple weeks I have watched multiple NCAA games. With the benefit of a DVR with pause/rewind function, I have been analyzing the spin move. In the vast majority of instances (I'd say 10 out of 12), it is CLEARLY a travel. The other two were inconclusive due to traffic in the lane. The key obviously is finding and watching what happens with the pivot foot. My interest in this move resulted from a recent game of mine where I whistled a B-V player THREE times for traveling while attempting spin moves. Coach claimed nobody whistled the kid all season for it, and I believe him. Therein lies my frustration. Very few of my peers seem to be calling it. Very few NCAA D1 officials seem to call it.

I welcome all opinions.
I called two last night. Clear change of pivot foot. Coached asked about it and didn't seem surprised by my response.

I don't guarantee I get all of them, but I do my best.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 11:26am
We don't rent pigs

You're not on an island. I see the same thing a lot. All you need to see are the before and after pictures. Both feet are on the floor. Both feet on the floor again several feet away. No dribble in between. Not hard to figure.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 11:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

I had one the other night where I had to look away from the ball cause there was a serious turf war in front of me that required my attention (2-person). When I looked back not a second or two later, I notice the pivot foot had changed. Nobody said a word and I couldn't call it then. I wish I had stayed on-ball, but there wasn't great pressure and I felt the impending doom in front of me was more important.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coach claimed nobody whistled the kid all season for it.
I had a coach claim the similar, "You're the first one to call it," a few games ago. My response: "Thank you."

Coach laughed. Fans laughed. Players laughed.

A few trips later, wehn I was in front of the bench, coach said, "I guess I have to stop giving you compliments."

(Note: Use at your own risk. But, you can at least think it.)
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I had a coach claim the similar, "You're the first one to call it," a few games ago. My response: "Thank you."
Coach laughed. Fans laughed. Players laughed.

A few trips later, wehn I was in front of the bench, coach said, "I guess I have to stop giving you compliments."

(Note: Use at your own risk. But, you can at least think it.)
Stolen! I love it!
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 04:03pm
Official & Member

Anyone have a theory as to why it's seldom called at high level D1?
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Game interrupter.

I'm not advocating that view, just offering it in answer to the question.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I welcome all opinions.
I feel like I'm on an island too from my chapter, with a few other officials. Some officials just would not call this, even if in plain sight. Yet I get all of the grief from coaches when I call it, and it was clearly a travel.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 09:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

Not only do they not call it, tv replays it and brags on what a beautiful move it was.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Not only do they not call it, tv replays it and brags on what a beautiful move it was.
And then when the kid who does it in my game gets called for it, I get, "hey ref, ever watch any basketball?"
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 01:12pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
And then when the kid who does it in my game gets called for it, I get, "hey ref, ever watch any basketball?"
Part of my pregame to the boys includes something like this:

"We are not NBA officials, and you are not NBA players. Know where your pivot foot is. Dribble with your hand on top of the ball. Every time you watch Kobe and Lebron on Sportscenter, you will see something that is pretty to watch, and most likely will be illegal in this game tonight."

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
"We are not NBA officials, and you are not NBA players. Know where your pivot foot is. Dribble with your hand on top of the ball. Every time you watch Kobe and Lebron on Sportscenter, you will see something that is pretty to watch, and most likely will be illegal in this game tonight."
I know what you mean. But that's about 50 words longer than my captains' meeting spiel.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 03:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Name That Tune, Basketball Officials Edition ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I know what you mean. But that's about 50 words longer than my captains' meeting spiel.
Wow? You have a four word captains' meeting? Can anybody beat that? How about a three word meeting? Winner gets to select a prize from the top shelf.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 04:55pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Wow? You have a four word captains' meeting? Can anybody beat that? How about a three word meeting? Winner gets to select a prize from the top shelf.
Anybody got a question?

Anybody gotta question?

Lonesome Dove