The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The Spin Move (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56656-spin-move.html)

Bad Zebra Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:23am

The Spin Move

I searched for previous threads on this topic but I came up empty. I apologize if it's been debated already.

In the past couple weeks I have watched multiple NCAA games. With the benefit of a DVR with pause/rewind function, I have been analyzing the spin move. In the vast majority of instances (I'd say 10 out of 12), it is CLEARLY a travel. The other two were inconclusive due to traffic in the lane. The key obviously is finding and watching what happens with the pivot foot. My interest in this move resulted from a recent game of mine where I whistled a B-V player THREE times for traveling while attempting spin moves. Coach claimed nobody whistled the kid all season for it, and I believe him. Therein lies my frustration. Very few of my peers seem to be calling it. Very few NCAA D1 officials seem to call it.

Am I on an island here? Should I just lay off and go with the flow?

I welcome all opinions.

Rich Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 654728)
I searched for previous threads on this topic but I came up empty. I apologize if it's been debated already.

In the past couple weeks I have watched multiple NCAA games. With the benefit of a DVR with pause/rewind function, I have been analyzing the spin move. In the vast majority of instances (I'd say 10 out of 12), it is CLEARLY a travel. The other two were inconclusive due to traffic in the lane. The key obviously is finding and watching what happens with the pivot foot. My interest in this move resulted from a recent game of mine where I whistled a B-V player THREE times for traveling while attempting spin moves. Coach claimed nobody whistled the kid all season for it, and I believe him. Therein lies my frustration. Very few of my peers seem to be calling it. Very few NCAA D1 officials seem to call it.

I welcome all opinions.

I called two last night. Clear change of pivot foot. Coached asked about it and didn't seem surprised by my response.

I don't guarantee I get all of them, but I do my best.

just another ref Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:26am

You're not on an island. I see the same thing a lot. All you need to see are the before and after pictures. Both feet are on the floor. Both feet on the floor again several feet away. No dribble in between. Not hard to figure.

Rich Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:29am

I had one the other night where I had to look away from the ball cause there was a serious turf war in front of me that required my attention (2-person). When I looked back not a second or two later, I notice the pivot foot had changed. Nobody said a word and I couldn't call it then. I wish I had stayed on-ball, but there wasn't great pressure and I felt the impending doom in front of me was more important.

bob jenkins Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:25pm

Quote:

Coach claimed nobody whistled the kid all season for it.

I had a coach claim the similar, "You're the first one to call it," a few games ago. My response: "Thank you."

Coach laughed. Fans laughed. Players laughed.

A few trips later, wehn I was in front of the bench, coach said, "I guess I have to stop giving you compliments."

(Note: Use at your own risk. But, you can at least think it.)

fullor30 Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 654743)
I had a coach claim the similar, "You're the first one to call it," a few games ago. My response: "Thank you."
Coach laughed. Fans laughed. Players laughed.

A few trips later, wehn I was in front of the bench, coach said, "I guess I have to stop giving you compliments."

(Note: Use at your own risk. But, you can at least think it.)

Stolen! I love it!

Bad Zebra Sat Jan 23, 2010 04:03pm

Anyone have a theory as to why it's seldom called at high level D1?

mbyron Sat Jan 23, 2010 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 654784)

Game interrupter.

I'm not advocating that view, just offering it in answer to the question.

representing Sat Jan 23, 2010 07:01pm

Quote:

I welcome all opinions.

I feel like I'm on an island too from my chapter, with a few other officials. Some officials just would not call this, even if in plain sight. Yet I get all of the grief from coaches when I call it, and it was clearly a travel.

just another ref Sat Jan 23, 2010 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 654784)

Not only do they not call it, tv replays it and brags on what a beautiful move it was.

mbyron Sun Jan 24, 2010 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 654843)
Not only do they not call it, tv replays it and brags on what a beautiful move it was.

And then when the kid who does it in my game gets called for it, I get, "hey ref, ever watch any basketball?" :rolleyes:

just another ref Sun Jan 24, 2010 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 654971)
And then when the kid who does it in my game gets called for it, I get, "hey ref, ever watch any basketball?" :rolleyes:

Part of my pregame to the boys includes something like this:

"We are not NBA officials, and you are not NBA players. Know where your pivot foot is. Dribble with your hand on top of the ball. Every time you watch Kobe and Lebron on Sportscenter, you will see something that is pretty to watch, and most likely will be illegal in this game tonight."

mbyron Sun Jan 24, 2010 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 654994)
"We are not NBA officials, and you are not NBA players. Know where your pivot foot is. Dribble with your hand on top of the ball. Every time you watch Kobe and Lebron on Sportscenter, you will see something that is pretty to watch, and most likely will be illegal in this game tonight."

I know what you mean. But that's about 50 words longer than my captains' meeting spiel. ;)

BillyMac Sun Jan 24, 2010 03:53pm

Name That Tune, Basketball Officials Edition ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 655025)
I know what you mean. But that's about 50 words longer than my captains' meeting spiel.

Wow? You have a four word captains' meeting? Can anybody beat that? How about a three word meeting? Winner gets to select a prize from the top shelf.

just another ref Sun Jan 24, 2010 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 655026)
Wow? You have a four word captains' meeting? Can anybody beat that? How about a three word meeting? Winner gets to select a prize from the top shelf.

Anybody got a question?

Anybody gotta question?