The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 12:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

"I need a spokesperson from each team."

Wait.

"Be good sports. Have fun."

I had to bite my lip when a partner a few weeks ago started talking about hand checks and post play and....I don't remember cause I tuned out right about then.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 12:49pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
The Three B's of the Captain's Meeting

Be Brief, Be Bright, and Be Gone.

Shake hands, sportsmanship, represent your schools well, shirts in/pants up - let's go......

As was said previously, they're just two or four of the 20+ players and they're not to going to inform their teammates anyhow......(except Juulie's)

I don't even want to discuss "speaking captains."
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 01:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yeah, speaking captains seems to be the norm here. I'll do it when I'm told I need to, and until then I'll just smile and nod as the U.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 01:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yeah, speaking captains seems to be the norm here. I'll do it when I'm told I need to, and until then I'll just smile and nod as the U.
I'll talk to anyone, anytime, but I do get the captains' numbers and circle them in the book. One day I may need them. I also notify them that I'm about to toss the ball up.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Back to the OP, NCAA women had some great video bulletins on the spin move last season. The key, according to them and what I have adopted is finding the pivot foot when the player gathers the ball. I'm not sure if last year's videos are around anywhere, but they were great.

As far as pregames go, mine is, "Sportsmanship is the priority of the state and NFHS. You are the captains and coaches, we expect you to be role models for the rest of the people in attendance. Represent your school well. Have fun tonight". A little wordy, but pretty short.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
Back to the OP, NCAA women had some great video bulletins on the spin move last season. The key, according to them and what I have adopted is finding the pivot foot when the player gathers the ball. I'm not sure if last year's videos are around anywhere, but they were great.

As far as pregames go, mine is, "Sportsmanship is the priority of the state and NFHS. You are the captains and coaches, we expect you to be role models for the rest of the people in attendance. Represent your school well. Have fun tonight". A little wordy, but pretty short.
On the womens side, we have some this year dealing with spin moves. The main thing is control of the ball and then determining the pivot. Every spin move is not a travel.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

I assume everyone at the captains meeting is a captain so I don't delineate...

"Captains, make sure white talks to white, black talks to black. (that takes care of the sportsmanship)

Coaches, are you're players legally and properly equipped? (I've yet to have one say no but takes care of the legalese).

Good luck."
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 06:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

State Mandates ???

The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let the competition reflect mutual respect among participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according the NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest! (New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Kentucky High School Athletic Association)

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing players, team, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the umpire that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules. Good luck in today's contest." (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association)

To captains: The FHSAA requires officials to enforce all rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by players and coaches. Violators will be ejected. It is strongly suggested that you remind your teammates and coaches
of this policy. Additionally, this is a simple reminder that jewelry is not allowed, and jerseys must be tucked in during play if they are designed to be worn in. To coaches: Coaches, do you certify that your players are properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during today’s contest? (Florida High School Activities Association)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Where

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
Any idea where one could get a copy of these video bulletins? Sounds like a great learning tool.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 04:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
On the womens side, we have some this year dealing with spin moves. The main thing is control of the ball and then determining the pivot. Every spin move is not a travel.
Just 95% of them.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

You did say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I welcome all opinions.

As a coach, I'm curious what you're calling a "spin move." Seems you're referring to a back-to-the-basket post move, so I'm guessing you are talking about a "drop step" move? A "spin move" to me would be a move executed while dribbling, either to attack the basket, or in mid court against tight pressure defense.

In the case of a "drop step," I'd guess it probably is frequently actually a travel, particularly with the benefit of rewind, and slow motion.

Break it down- post player A with the ball and back to basket at the block. Pivot foot is foot furthest from the endline. Player A lifts foot closest to endline and steps outside of defenders foot closest to baseline, player A plants this foot, then pivots on it. For this to be a legal move, the pivot foot (foot furthest from endline) cannot return to the floor before the ball leaves shooters hand, correct? But the way we teach it, and the way we watch this move executed, the original pivot foot does come back in contact with the floor, the shooter then jumps off two feet to lay in or dunk the ball. I do believe that would be traveling. But I'm no expert

For this to be a legal move, the post player on the block (back to basket) would have to catch the ball with a hop, landing on two feet simultaneously (no pivot foot established yet), then forward pivot on the foot closest to the baseline (spin toward baseline) without first stepping or otherwise lifting this foot, then after the forward pivot, put weight on the foot that was originally furthest from endline but is now closest to the baseline then jump, and release the ball before landing.

And if you can follow that description, you are a mind reading, genius, savant, psychic, who can see the indescribable, and realize what can't be described, with both arms and your brain tied behind your back.