The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 02:13am
Travel, Offside & Strike!

Kicked one tonight, hope I learned my lesson

BJV, about 4 min left in 4th. Close game, but had gone well to this point.

I'm T. V1 is dribbling upcourt and he and H1 are in my PCA. V1 goes across into C's area, but like an idiot, I don't release coverage to C, and keep following play. Sure enough, V1 goes up for shot and releases, gets contacted on arm by H1, both C and myself hit whistles. Immediately, I'm realizing that I just called out of my area, and looked to C for them to report the foul. C's all over it, reports foul, indicates 2 shots. VC is going nuts, "the shot went in, the shot went in". C comes over to me asking if shot counted. Of course, my eyes weren't where they were supposed to be ( seeing if the ball went in). I sheepishly admitted that I had no clue, and C went to the table to double check, while L and I are watching players. Sure enough, the ball went in, and we counted the basket, and awarded one shot. Rest of the game went off with no other "oopsies", but I felt like a total dunce. My crew was very supportive after the game, and I thanked them for saving my a**. VC calmed down after crew "fixed" the problem, but I imagine I lost a little respect from him.

Hopefully, this'll teach me to keep my eyes where they belong, to release coverage when I should, and to make damn sure before I put air in the whistle.

I hate feeling like a dummy....
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavano View Post

I'm T. V1 is dribbling upcourt and he and H1 are in my PCA. V1 goes across into C's area, but like an idiot, I don't release coverage to C, and keep following play. Sure enough, V1 goes up for shot and releases, gets contacted on arm by H1, both C and myself hit whistles. Immediately, I'm realizing that I just called out of my area, and looked to C for them to report the foul. C's all over it, reports foul, indicates 2 shots. VC is going nuts, "the shot went in, the shot went in". C comes over to me asking if shot counted. Of course, my eyes weren't where they were supposed to be ( seeing if the ball went in). I sheepishly admitted that I had no clue, and C went to the table to double check, while L and I are watching players. Sure enough, the ball went in, and we counted the basket, and awarded one shot. Rest of the game went off with no other "oopsies", but I felt like a total dunce. My crew was very supportive after the game, and I thanked them for saving my a**. VC calmed down after crew "fixed" the problem, but I imagine I lost a little respect from him.

Hopefully, this'll teach me to keep my eyes where they belong, to release coverage when I should, and to make damn sure before I put air in the whistle.

I hate feeling like a dummy....
Hey, no sweat. Happens to all of us, whether we want to admit it or not. You did the right thing by saying that you didn't know instead of making sh*t up. C did the right thing by going to the table and asking them. After all, THEY are part of the officiating crew. In the end all that matters is you got the call right.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

I had one tonight, not necessarily similar to your situation, but it was at the same time.

I was the lead in a two man crew. The ball comes down into my corner, and A1 lets go a 3-pointer. After the shot, I turn my attention to the rebounding action.

Turns out, I should have stayed with the shooter longer, and I knew it right away.

Of course, A1 ends up on the ground, with a loud "Aaahhh".

Whether or not it was actually a foul, I don't know, but I'll remember to stay with the shooter longer next time, especially in lead.

I usually have no problem doing this in trail, but in lead for some reason I thought I had to get back to the rebounding action.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 08:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Shot From Lead's Corner ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
The ball comes down into my corner, and A1 lets go a 3-pointer. After the shot, I turn my attention to the rebounding action.
I usually have no problem doing this in trail, but in lead for some reason I thought I had to get back to the rebounding action.
Protect the shooter. Your partner, as the trail, will take care of the rebounding action on this play.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

There are situations where this can happen legitimately and you shouldn't feel bad. For instance, if B1 is closely guarding A1 as they leave your PCA, you should continue your count. To do that, you'll have to be on the ball when it's in C's PCA.

If A1 goes up for a shot, of course, you should turn your attention to rebounding and let C stay with the shooter. Even tougher if A1 is right at the elbow (where the PCA's overlap).
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 09:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Happens to all of us, whether we want to admit it or not. You did the right thing by saying that you didn't know instead of making sh*t up.
Hmmmmmm......

You wouldn't admit that you made a mistake in a thread from last night.

And then you compounded your mistake by making sh!t up.

Might not be a bad idea to take your own advice. Or is it "do as I say, not as I do"?
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had one tonight, not necessarily similar to your situation, but it was at the same time.

I was the lead in a two man crew. The ball comes down into my corner, and A1 lets go a 3-pointer. After the shot, I turn my attention to the rebounding action.

Turns out, I should have stayed with the shooter longer, and I knew it right away.

Of course, A1 ends up on the ground, with a loud "Aaahhh".

Whether or not it was actually a foul, I don't know, but I'll remember to stay with the shooter longer next time, especially in lead.

Bas...2nd yr,here...I'm still having the same problem on the same play when I'm in L. No I shouldn't be doing it.. I've been better lately, but still having a hard time breaking the habit.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Bas...2nd yr,here...I'm still having the same problem on the same play when I'm in L. No I shouldn't be doing it.. I've been better lately, but still having a hard time breaking the habit.
Hopefully I've learned my lesson after last night. It's always after you learn things the hard way that you improve on them.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 01:13pm
#thereferee99

KJ, here is your trust moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Watch the shooter up, watch them down.
Partner, I trust you!!
Relish the moment.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 02:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavano View Post

I'm T. V1 is dribbling upcourt and he and H1 are in my PCA. V1 goes across into C's area, but like an idiot, I don't release coverage to C, and keep following play.....
Been there, done that in a JuCo game a few years ago and called a carry in front of the C. Still have to remind myself to release the ball-handler in those situations, especially when working 2-man and 3-man on back-to-back nights.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hopefully I've learned my lesson after last night. It's always after you learn things the hard way that you improve on them.
I finally figured out that the secret to improving more quickly was to have as many "learning experiences" as I could as quickly as I could