The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 03:28pm
MPLAHE

Had this happen in a JV game the other night. I am lead and A1 shoots and scores from the left wing. While the ball is in flight B1 shoves one of A's players in the back for position and I whistle a push on B1. I look to my partner to insure ball went in and signal basket counts and two free throws for A (A was in double bonus). I report the foul and we go to line up and the shooter goes to the free throw line. Coach of A team objects ( justifiably) that he should not be shooting. This is where the problem began. In my haste, I did not ID the player for A team that was shoved. My partner didn't know either. I proceeded to the table to see if they knew and they didn't know. We asked the coaches and they were not sure. We then picked one of the post players from A and proceeded.

One comment and then a question. Lesson learned - always verbalize the player fouled in these situations so you know and your partner can help you as well. I was in too much of a hurry to determine whether the basket was good (something anyone in the building could determine) and missed the more crucial determination that very few saw.

The other issue is did we blow it by simply picking someone to shoot?
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 03:38pm
In Memoriam

Did you ask the players who gets to shoot the FT's? They'll usually tell you.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 06:36pm
MPLAHE

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Should have - that may have worked although in the confusion we did look to the players and none came forward, but we didn't specifically ask.
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Lesson learned

Bet that doesn't happen again
Old Thu Nov 24, 2005, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

That is how we learn the importance of game awareness, when something goes wrong.

That is why we should always know the foul count, always state our shooter, always be aware of the player our partner(s) are sending to the foul line, and always relay this info during a timeout.

The less we take for granted, the less likely we will get bit in the rear.

We have all been there. Learn from it and move on.
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

You can also use your table in this situation.
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm with JR. Specifically ask the players. If you realize your mistake quickly, look around and eliminate two or three players by logic. The long-haired guy was shooting, the guy with braces has played the whole game above the arc. Then re-play the foul in your mind and look for any telling physical detail such as a mis-match in height between the foul-er and the foul-ee, or a racial difference. Then go to the most likely player and ask quietly, "Are you the one who got shoved in the back on that last rebound?" Even if that guy isn't the right one, he very likely will know who it was.
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

The other night I did a good job of stating who my shooter was and then promptly went to the table and reported the foul on her. Oops, thankfully the coach and table quickly helped me out and we all laughed it off.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

It's probably happened to all of us. You might have blown that call, but you made up for it putting yourself up as an example and letting everyone else learn from it. Thanks. Partners have to help on this too - when your partner has a foul - get the shooter and verbalize it with something like "I got your shooter."
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 04:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
That's a tough one on which to bet the the farm.

Working for position, jostling and being jostled, a kid may not even notice he was fouled, while the best free throw shooter on the team will say, "Yeah, I was the one."

However, I dunno a better way to get outa that sitch.[shrug]
mick