View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 23, 2010, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavano View Post

BJV, about 4 min left in 4th. Close game, but had gone well to this point.

I'm T. V1 is dribbling upcourt and he and H1 are in my PCA. V1 goes across into C's area, but like an idiot, I don't release coverage to C, and keep following play. Sure enough, V1 goes up for shot and releases, gets contacted on arm by H1, both C and myself hit whistles. Immediately, I'm realizing that I just called out of my area, and looked to C for them to report the foul. C's all over it, reports foul, indicates 2 shots. VC is going nuts, "the shot went in, the shot went in". C comes over to me asking if shot counted. Of course, my eyes weren't where they were supposed to be ( seeing if the ball went in). I sheepishly admitted that I had no clue, and C went to the table to double check, while L and I are watching players. Sure enough, the ball went in, and we counted the basket, and awarded one shot. Rest of the game went off with no other "oopsies", but I felt like a total dunce. My crew was very supportive after the game, and I thanked them for saving my a**. VC calmed down after crew "fixed" the problem, but I imagine I lost a little respect from him.

Hopefully, this'll teach me to keep my eyes where they belong, to release coverage when I should, and to make damn sure before I put air in the whistle.

I hate feeling like a dummy....
Hey, no sweat. Happens to all of us, whether we want to admit it or not. You did the right thing by saying that you didn't know instead of making sh*t up. C did the right thing by going to the table and asking them. After all, THEY are part of the officiating crew. In the end all that matters is you got the call right.