The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Black headbands that look grey!

GJV game tonight. First time in awhile that I've had a girl's game. The home team is in white and four of their players have black headbands, then there are two with what looks to me like gray headbands. I approach one of them with the gray and ask her what color her headband is (my sisters taught me early on that they knew their colors better than I ). She replies black. As I come to find out it was black pre-wrap that when stretched looked very gray. I've seen the "gray" pre-wrap before but this looked much more gray. I do a pretty good job of sticking to the rules with the headbands, but tonight I was a bit weak I guess and let them play. Now I'm looking for opinions on what I should've done?
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 12:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
GJV game tonight. First time in awhile that I've had a girl's game. The home team is in white and four of their players have black headbands, then there are two with what looks to me like gray headbands. I approach one of them with the gray and ask her what color her headband is (my sisters taught me early on that they knew their colors better than I ). She replies black. As I come to find out it was black pre-wrap that when stretched looked very gray. I've seen the "gray" pre-wrap before but this looked much more gray. I do a pretty good job of sticking to the rules with the headbands, but tonight I was a bit weak I guess and let them play. Now I'm looking for opinions on what I should've done?
Nothing. Black prewrap stretched tight looks gray. They met the rule.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 05:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Nothing. Black prewrap stretched tight looks gray. They met the rule.
I ran into this situation twice last year. I didn't allow the first team to wear the pre-wrap because it looked gray/silver. Needless to say this ticked-off that coach. When I saw the very same thing a couple of days later with another team, I went over and asked the coach what was going on. He pulled out the package of the pre-wrap from his bag that he bought and showed it to me. The package said "black" and the unused portion of the roll definitely looked black, so I allowed it. What else can the team do? As Rich says they did what they should have to meet the requirements of the rule.

I guess that I owe the coach of the first team an explanation and an apology when I have them again.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

There are different brands of pre-wrap. Mueller pre-wrap (m-wrap) is more black than Cramer's black, which looks more charcoal gray. As far as I know, nobody actually makes gray pre-wrap. We carry 15 colors on our pre-wrap site and don't know of anyone who makes a product they call gray or silver.

Last edited by treece; Fri Jan 22, 2010 at 06:08am.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 06:34am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
As I come to find out it was black pre-wrap that when stretched looked very gray.
Quote:
Black prewrap stretched tight looks gray. They met the rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I ran into this situation twice last year.
I've run into this situation several times this year too.

Nice to know it happens in other areas of the country and isn't just my failing eye sight.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

I know that we are supposed to follow rules, but the fashion police mandate is an aggravation. Hues should not be a part of the argument. Dk grey has always equalled black in my book. One home team, the entire team was wearing a lt yellow. It looked beige to me. . I did warn the coach and captains that another referee might have different eyesight.

I'm sure Nevada will excoriate me.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me

Last edited by Ignats75; Fri Jan 22, 2010 at 06:57am.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I ran into this situation twice last year. I didn't allow the first team to wear the pre-wrap because it looked gray/silver. Needless to say this ticked-off that coach. When I saw the very same thing a couple of days later with another team, I went over and asked the coach what was going on. He pulled out the package of the pre-wrap from his bag that he bought and showed it to me. The package said "black" and the unused portion of the roll definitely looked black, so I allowed it. What else can the team do? As Rich says they did what they should have to meet the requirements of the rule.

I guess that I owe the coach of the first team an explanation and an apology when I have them again.
Why wait? Be proactive and send him/her an e-mail.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 09:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I had to have the same conversation and look at a roll of black prewrap last year. But I did it the first time I saw it.

I've been to 3 girls games this year where the JV players on the home team wore the wrong color prewrap (for example red -- the school color is red but of course they were wearing white uniforms). The V teams all came out wearing black, so no problems for us.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

I hate being fashion police. To that extent - another official gave me good advice. If you look in a kennel for crap - there's a good chance you'll see some. Don't look for crap. But if a dog does it on your shoe - you have to deal with it.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

I only had the box of 8 crayola crayons in kindergarden, not the box of 64. Pre-wrap is black, white, red, blue, green, yellow, orange, brown. I don't know "silver" or "grey" or "navy" or "sky" or "tangerine" or "cherry"...

(I have had to learn "beige" -- that's enough.)

The pre-wrap was black.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 09:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
I hate being fashion police. To that extent - another official gave me good advice. If you look in a kennel for crap - there's a good chance you'll see some. Don't look for crap. But if a dog does it on your shoe - you have to deal with it.
I don't consider it good advice. It's better advice to take care of the prewrap with 15 minutes on the clock than wait until the other coach complains right before the game starts.

Last year, I annoyed a visiting coach who wore green prewrap to complement their gold uniforms. I walked right over and told him to take care of it right at the start of warmups. The home team eventually loaned him a roll of beige. The coach asked me why we were so picky about it and I told him the state told us not to allow it and I wasn't in the practice of allowing illegal uniforms, etc.

He actually got over it and apologized at the end of the game for trying to put us in a bad spot and said he needed to order the right color right away. Don't know if he did, but all varsity teams have worn the right prewrap this season for me so far.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 09:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Don't know if he did, but all varsity teams have worn the right prewrap this season for me so far.
I have definitely found this to be less of a problem this yr than in previous yrs. Same goes for wrong colored undershirts.

Not to go OT - but I will with another uniform issue.

The other night GV game. V23 has an elbow pad on. Nothing hard, just a "volleyball like" elbow pad. Official calls her over and says she needs "a medical note and it needs to be annotated in the book."

My understanding as in 3-5, ART. 2 . . . Guards, casts, braces and compression sleeves must meet the following guidelines:

a. A guard, cast or brace made of hard and unyielding leather, plaster, pliable(soft) plastic, metal or any other hard substance may not be worn on the elbow, hand, finger, wrist or forearm; even though covered with soft padding.

b. Hard and unyielding items (guards, casts, braces, etc.) on the upper arm or shoulder must be padded.

c. Knee and ankle braces are permitted but all exposed hinges must be covered. Most over-sleeves recommended by manufacturers are acceptable. These braces may be padded or unpadded.

d. Must be worn for medical reasons.

Player said she had a hurt elbow. Coach and trainer came out on the floor and the trainer said she had an elbow contusion and should be allowed to wear it.

This Official was adament that he needed a Dr's note and it had to be annotated in the book.

Trainer said she'd been to all the state classes and never heard of such a rule.

My train of thought was the soft pad was similar to an "Iverson-type sleeve." I was told to ask if it was for medical reasons and if they said it was - let it go and not be the perverbial plumber.

Thoughts? I know of no state rule.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 09:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

The other night GV game. V23 has an elbow pad on. Nothing hard, just a "volleyball like" elbow pad. Official calls her over and says she needs "a medical note and it needs to be annotated in the book."

This Official was adament that he needed a Dr's note and it had to be annotated in the book.
Stoopid monkey official.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't consider it good advice. It's better advice to take care of the prewrap with 15 minutes on the clock than wait until the other coach complains right before the game starts.
The point was - stretched black looks grey. Don't go looking for stuff. But - if they have green on - you have to deal with it.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 07:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Billy's Fashion Advice ...

Gray is the new black.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)