The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Had a fellow official tell me the other night that players on the same team cannot wear headbands of different colors.

I understand the rule to be that if a headband is worn it can only be one color other than a logo.

This happened in a NCAA D3 game.

Anyone seen a different rule? Old Rule? What?
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Ron, last I saw headbands worn in a game was a d3 game. I remember an official making one player roll his over because it had a logo. Without looking at the book, I don't believe that we have to to roll have the same color. I know shirts we do. He could be confusing that rule.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
rule book says logo is okay but must comply with logo size rule (3-6) or something like that. I think he was incorrect in his understanding of the rule.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 04:01pm
Esteemed Participant

Actually Ron and Tim, both your partners were wrong...Ron - the HS rules book had a rule in the early 90's about the headbands, but it went away after one season (or maybe it was just a WIAA ruling - but it still went away)...and the headbands can have a single logo or trademark as long as it meets the size requirements (see BR-55, rule 3-6-1)...
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 04:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Wrong.

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Actually Ron and Tim, both your partners were wrong...Ron - the HS rules book had a rule in the early 90's about the headbands, but it went away after one season (or maybe it was just a WIAA ruling - but it still went away)...and the headbands can have a single logo or trademark as long as it meets the size requirements (see BR-55, rule 3-6-1)...
They took the rule out as it related to socks. You still can only have one logo for pants, compression shorts, sweatbands and headbands but the "logo cannot exceed 2 1/4 square inches and shall not exceed 2 1/4 inches in demension on each item." That is right out of Rule 3-6. Actually the rule was in the books more than a year, but it was taken out because it was very hard to enforce and schools for the most part do not hand out those types of uniforms.

Tim's partner might have been right by rule if the logo exceeded the measurements stated by the NF. But I do not know any official that are going to get a ruler to find out for sure.

Peace