The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Should there have been a whistle?

YouTube - No Call2 2010_01_15_01_56_36.avi

I was lead on this play. As it occurred in the game I felt that I would have been guessing on the play had I blown so I held. Two questions....

First, (a) should there have been a whistle on it? (b) and if so should it have been mine? (c) and what should have been called?

Second, what should I have done if anything to get a better view on the play?
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Four questions for the price of two?

I'll play.

1a. yes
1b. middle of the lane, you could have had a triple whistle. C probably had the best angle.
1c. looks like PC to me.

2. Going wider gives you a better angle.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

From what I saw, PC foul, got the charge, no shot, going the other way.

I am first year, so take mine with a grain of salt .

Oscar
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Player control foul.

Your whistle all the way with help from the T and possibly the C as a final back up.

Pretty much the play originated in your primary and ended in a quasi gray dual coverage zone. But its your call the whole way.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

From the video, I'd say a PC foul would have been the appropriate call. I don't think the contact is as significant as the defender makes it look, but it was there and the offensive player jumped through the defender. It's your call, but I could also see the C coming in as he should have had a good angle the and play was right in the middle. On any play where the post curls away from you to the middle of the paint, a strong C can get a great look at this play.

Were you screened out by other players, or did you get straight-lined? It looks like you were very tight to the land (in close-down position). Personally, I would have liked to have been wider on this play. It gives you a better angle on plays going to the lane like this and allows you to see the entire play better. On this play in particular it appears you could have gotten screened by the players near the endline if you'd been wide, though. As always, just my thoughts.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Your whistle all the way with help from the T and possibly the C as a final back up.
I would say this is L's with help from C, T as a final back up. C should have a better angle, and it's right on the line between L and C's PCAs.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:07pm
Esteemed Participant

I'm going to disagree with the other posts - sort of. This is a PC foul, imo, but it is the C's call first, and the L's second...

It is a "curl" play into the middle of the key, so the C is going to have the best angle on it. I believe that if the play curls away from one official, that official should lay-off the call and let the official the play is curling toward take it. If the C doesn't get it, then the L needs to...
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I'm going to disagree with the other posts - sort of. This is a PC foul, imo, but it is the C's call first, and the L's second...

It is a "curl" play into the middle of the key, so the C is going to have the best angle on it. I believe that if the play curls away from one official, that official should lay-off the call and let the official the play is curling toward take it. If the C doesn't get it, then the L needs to...
This was my thought also.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

I think you and your brother have too much time on your hands.....

Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Looks to me like C may have been straightlined by a white player on this one. I agree with Rocky, this is one I'd like to get from C, but a double whistle would be good on this one.

As lead, it's a good one to get wide on to try to get as close to a 90 degree angle as possible on the space between them.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

1st view = foul charged to A1
2nd -5th view = I don't think A1 displaced B1. If B1 was not looking to draw a foul on A1, I don't think B1 would have been displaced by A1.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
1st view = foul charged to A1
2nd -5th view = I don't think A1 displaced B1. If B1 was not looking to draw a foul on A1, I don't think B1 would have been displaced by A1.
A1 jumped square into B1's chest with his shoulder. I have no problem with B1 allowing himself to fall in this situation. He's not faking getting fouled, he's allowing it to happen. There's a difference.

Could he have held his ground? Maybe, but with that level of a hit, I'm not going to place the responsibility on the defender to stay standing.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

On second thought that was L then C call - the T was completely out of the picture to have anything on that.

You have room on the endline so get deeper as well.

either way it was a missed call that could have resulted in 2 points scored. No big deal happenes every game, just take what you can learn from this and apply it in the future.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:38pm
We don't rent pigs

Did he flop? Maybe. But while he was flopping, the guy pounded him anyway.

Just because a player recoils from the contact, thus making it less severe, doesn't mean it can't be a foul.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 02:49pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Looks to me like C may have been straightlined by a white player on this one. I agree with Rocky, this is one I'd like to get from C, but a double whistle would be good on this one.

As lead, it's a good one to get wide on to try to get as close to a 90 degree angle as possible on the space between them.
I got it paused right as the contact happens, and I dont think that C was straightlined at the point of contact. At least not to the point as to where he cant get a good enough look on the play to make a PC call. I would like the C to come out and get this one, but the L should have a late/double whistle on this. I can see how the L might be guessing a little bit, especially if they are at close-down position at the time of contact.

Bottom line, there were bodies on the floor due to a crash happening from contact. We probably need to have something there, most likely coming from the C. The L can have a late whistle on this if they didn't like what the C passed on.