The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

How to use your whistle?

I was just wondering if everyone blows the whistle differently for different plays or sitches (i.e., block/charge play. Do you double tweet? Triple tweet? or do you use one tweet all the time?) So on and so forth. Do you feel like the way you blow the whistle can better emphasize the call being made if it needs a little more sell? Discuss and I will sit back and listen.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I try pretty hard to use only one tweet for everything. There are times, however, when I double-tweet. These seem to be plays that surprise me or that happen really quickly; like a travel right before contact on a block/charge.

I've also been told that if you have something happen unexpectedly or at a critical time (like a TO away from the ball in the last 5 seconds of a game), that you should blow the heck out of the whistle.

Welcome to the forum!
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

You should always have a nice strong whistle. You will see some officials use a double or tripple tweet for their travel calls. I find myself doing this, but it is just out of habit at this point. I've also had an evaluator from the Patriot/Ivy League write a negative comment because of the double tweet. If you are begining, just blow one whistle.

In a call where you are trying to sell it, I think a whistle that last a little longer than your normal whistle will help. But blowing it five or six short tweets, I think just makes you look like an idiot!

Just make sure your whistle can be heard by all.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2006, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
I was just wondering if everyone blows the whistle differently for different plays or sitches (i.e., block/charge play. Do you double tweet? Triple tweet? or do you use one tweet all the time?) So on and so forth. Do you feel like the way you blow the whistle can better emphasize the call being made if it needs a little more sell? Discuss and I will sit back and listen.
In HS we're supposed to use a "single sharp blast" for all whistles. However I make two exceptions: held balls, where I will tweet tweet tweet while I close on the play; time out, where I use a single long tweet.
Old Sat Aug 12, 2006, 12:52pm
Official & Member

I was at a camp last summer where the staff advocated a longer blast when signalling a time out and returning a ball to live action after a time out. Anyone ever heard this? In other words, yout "time out" whistle should be different than your standard foul/violation blast.
Old Sat Aug 12, 2006, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I've been told to never ever do double or tripple tweets. One hard call is enough, the only exception I do is for time outs when I usually call one long signal. But I don't do the double or tripples, and I don't think you should either. Many whistles and you risk just sounding silly insted of firm when you make a call.
Old Sat Aug 12, 2006, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

All single, short, strong tweets unless otherwise necessary. Held balls, or loud gyms where it appears no one has heard the whistle may be exceptions, but rare.

I will sometimes use a longer whistle for a time out...kind of a habit. But unless otherwise needed, never a double or triple tweet. As evaluators at camps have told me, we're officials, not train conductors.
Old Sat Aug 12, 2006, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

I am very glad I have asked this question and thank all of you for the replies. I use my whistle as another "tool of the trade" or tool to help me express different plays and different situations. I personally feel it can help you emphasize a play of more importance, or when there is a double whistle and I know that I want to take the play. I have yet to go to a camp where, what I call utilizing my whistle, has been brought to my attention, but it is very helpful to know. Thanks.

P.S. I use a longer blast for my time-out as well.
Old Sat Aug 12, 2006, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Single only, but don't make it too short. I've never timed it, but I'll bet I blow for at least half to 3/4 of a second -- maybe longer. At camps, all feedback on my whistle has been positive. I have been known to blow a few short tweets during a dead ball to keep a throw in from happening (e.g. sub or table issue), but this is something I want to get away from. The bottom line is that if for whatever reason you can't stop play with one blast, you need to blow a stronger blast, not 2 or more weak blasts. If you can be heard, what's the point of blowing more?

Never say never, as weird situations call for irregular action, but I'd say one strong blast on the whistle is almost always the way to go.
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I view my whistle as an important part of controlling the game. While I agree that one blast is probably the best way to go - I tend to have two quick blasts on things like travels or on team control foul (offense) away from the ball. I think your whistle is the first of several items in your "tool box" to sell your call (voice, body language, signals, etc).

Until we reach the level of the "big time" officials (where as long as they get the call right, nobody will bother them), we need to get the call right and make the call the "proper way".
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 12:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

One big blast of the whistle in all you need if you ask me. I know guys that tweet the whistle several times, but if you blast just one time, which is sufficient. If I do tweet the whistle two or three times, it is not by practice.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I have multiple whistles on all big violations (travel, carry, ect), crashes and held balls. I'm not sure if its a bad habit or not but an evaluator hasn't said anything yet.
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 01:44pm
M.A.S.H.

I believe the longer blast for time-outs is suggested by Fed.
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I have to do one edit, I have once used multiple whistles and I think that's the only time.

If a fight breaks out, use many high long whistles, (perhaps a second long, then a short pause, another second and so on)

This is for distracting the fighters and bla bla bla (I think you all know it).

That's the only exception I can think off
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

I only use multiple whistles when something really unusual happens... like partner giving the wrong team ball to inbound, ... or when elbows fly, heated situation, near fight, etc, and I hit it hard when I do use it to stop an altercation of some type. I also do use a longer whistle for a TO

Last edited by refnrev; Sun Aug 13, 2006 at 10:44pm.