The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Should there have been a whistle? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56612-should-there-have-been-whistle.html)

Clark Kent Thu Jan 21, 2010 01:40pm

Should there have been a whistle?

YouTube - No Call2 2010_01_15_01_56_36.avi

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cJqYLmSnCTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was lead on this play. As it occurred in the game I felt that I would have been guessing on the play had I blown so I held. Two questions....

First, (a) should there have been a whistle on it? (b) and if so should it have been mine? (c) and what should have been called?

Second, what should I have done if anything to get a better view on the play?

mbyron Thu Jan 21, 2010 01:44pm

Four questions for the price of two?

I'll play.

1a. yes
1b. middle of the lane, you could have had a triple whistle. C probably had the best angle.
1c. looks like PC to me.

2. Going wider gives you a better angle.

showbo Thu Jan 21, 2010 01:46pm

From what I saw, PC foul, got the charge, no shot, going the other way.

I am first year, so take mine with a grain of salt :).

Oscar

deecee Thu Jan 21, 2010 01:46pm

Player control foul.

Your whistle all the way with help from the T and possibly the C as a final back up.

Pretty much the play originated in your primary and ended in a quasi gray dual coverage zone. But its your call the whole way.

jdw3018 Thu Jan 21, 2010 01:49pm

From the video, I'd say a PC foul would have been the appropriate call. I don't think the contact is as significant as the defender makes it look, but it was there and the offensive player jumped through the defender. It's your call, but I could also see the C coming in as he should have had a good angle the and play was right in the middle. On any play where the post curls away from you to the middle of the paint, a strong C can get a great look at this play.

Were you screened out by other players, or did you get straight-lined? It looks like you were very tight to the land (in close-down position). Personally, I would have liked to have been wider on this play. It gives you a better angle on plays going to the lane like this and allows you to see the entire play better. On this play in particular it appears you could have gotten screened by the players near the endline if you'd been wide, though. As always, just my thoughts.

jdw3018 Thu Jan 21, 2010 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 654093)
Your whistle all the way with help from the T and possibly the C as a final back up.

I would say this is L's with help from C, T as a final back up. C should have a better angle, and it's right on the line between L and C's PCAs.

rockyroad Thu Jan 21, 2010 02:07pm

I'm going to disagree with the other posts - sort of. This is a PC foul, imo, but it is the C's call first, and the L's second...

It is a "curl" play into the middle of the key, so the C is going to have the best angle on it. I believe that if the play curls away from one official, that official should lay-off the call and let the official the play is curling toward take it. If the C doesn't get it, then the L needs to...

bbcof83 Thu Jan 21, 2010 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 654103)
I'm going to disagree with the other posts - sort of. This is a PC foul, imo, but it is the C's call first, and the L's second...

It is a "curl" play into the middle of the key, so the C is going to have the best angle on it. I believe that if the play curls away from one official, that official should lay-off the call and let the official the play is curling toward take it. If the C doesn't get it, then the L needs to...

This was my thought also.

Mr. Ref Thu Jan 21, 2010 02:16pm

I think you and your brother have too much time on your hands.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hh3xOQ6xdkI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hh3xOQ6xdkI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Adam Thu Jan 21, 2010 02:23pm

Looks to me like C may have been straightlined by a white player on this one. I agree with Rocky, this is one I'd like to get from C, but a double whistle would be good on this one.

As lead, it's a good one to get wide on to try to get as close to a 90 degree angle as possible on the space between them.

SamIAm Thu Jan 21, 2010 02:26pm

1st view = foul charged to A1
2nd -5th view = I don't think A1 displaced B1. If B1 was not looking to draw a foul on A1, I don't think B1 would have been displaced by A1.

Adam Thu Jan 21, 2010 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm (Post 654115)
1st view = foul charged to A1
2nd -5th view = I don't think A1 displaced B1. If B1 was not looking to draw a foul on A1, I don't think B1 would have been displaced by A1.

A1 jumped square into B1's chest with his shoulder. I have no problem with B1 allowing himself to fall in this situation. He's not faking getting fouled, he's allowing it to happen. There's a difference.

Could he have held his ground? Maybe, but with that level of a hit, I'm not going to place the responsibility on the defender to stay standing.

deecee Thu Jan 21, 2010 02:38pm

On second thought that was L then C call - the T was completely out of the picture to have anything on that.

You have room on the endline so get deeper as well.

either way it was a missed call that could have resulted in 2 points scored. No big deal happenes every game, just take what you can learn from this and apply it in the future.

just another ref Thu Jan 21, 2010 02:38pm

Did he flop? Maybe. But while he was flopping, the guy pounded him anyway.

Just because a player recoils from the contact, thus making it less severe, doesn't mean it can't be a foul.

jeschmit Thu Jan 21, 2010 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 654110)
Looks to me like C may have been straightlined by a white player on this one. I agree with Rocky, this is one I'd like to get from C, but a double whistle would be good on this one.

As lead, it's a good one to get wide on to try to get as close to a 90 degree angle as possible on the space between them.

I got it paused right as the contact happens, and I dont think that C was straightlined at the point of contact. At least not to the point as to where he cant get a good enough look on the play to make a PC call. I would like the C to come out and get this one, but the L should have a late/double whistle on this. I can see how the L might be guessing a little bit, especially if they are at close-down position at the time of contact.

Bottom line, there were bodies on the floor due to a crash happening from contact. We probably need to have something there, most likely coming from the C. The L can have a late whistle on this if they didn't like what the C passed on.