The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I have worked 18 boys games so far and have 6 ratings from coaches and 8 from officials. I also have worked 17 girls games and have 12 coaches and 13 officials.

I did work a girls Super last year and had a total of 33 coaches and 16 officials. I normally work about 30 games each in boys and girls and always have under half the games rated by coaches. I know a few years ago I was working a boys game and the coach told me to make sure we got our names and numbers in the book because he was on probation from not rating officials. Not sure what they can do to a coach if he is on probation and doesnt rate officials.

I do know a few coaches who do wait until the end of the year to rate officials just like it was mentioned above, but most wait a few days to do it.

They do take all of the ratings in to consideration but I think more so the power rating than anything. But if you think you have the IHSA figured out then they do something to make you think otherwise. Getting seen by the IHSA helps a bunch also. They also talk to officials that have worked the state tourney about other officials.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 12:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Do you think it's partially due to the amount of tournies in our area that I'm sure you work plenty of where there are officials coming and going so It's possible to pick up 9-12 ratings in a day? This may not be the case in more rural areas.
I honestly do not have a good answer for that. I do not work a lot of tourneys in our area. A lot of what I work is out of the area. I do think I pick up some ratings because I am known well in those other places and some of the conferences I work help. But coaches just do not put in enough ratings all over the place. As I said I have more ratings than some of my more rural counterparts that I know of. I cannot say it is for one reason.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 21, 2010, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Officials who are chasing the Holy Grail of working downstate really work the system...
Reminds me -

At one school where I was AD and head coach, there was one official who'd send out letters (real paper letters!) every year to solicit ratings....

He shall remain nameless, but I'll bet you the Chicagoland folks here know!