The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Illinois Online Evaluations

I'm in my first year with the IHSA, and at my game tonight, we had one varsity official come in to the locker room with us at halftime. We got to talking, and he volunteered to put in evaluations for both my partner and I.

How does this process work?
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I'm in my first year with the IHSA, and at my game tonight, we had one varsity official come in to the locker room with us at halftime. We got to talking, and he volunteered to put in evaluations for both my partner and I.

Any certified ("C") official can rate any other official one time per season on the girls side and once on the boys side. Coaches also rate you for games that you work of theirs. These ratings are compiled and a formula is applied based on total number of ratings as well as the scores of those ratings, and you then get a composite rating for boys/girls. The ratings go from 1-this official is qualified to work state finals to 5-this official is qualified to work underclass contests only. If you go on the website you can view your composite rating score as well as the formula for computing. It is completely anonymous (at least it better be!)
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As a certified official, he can 'rate' you. Basically, the more ratings you pile up, the better your chances for post season games. Coaches also can rate you. It's become somewhat of popularity contest, with officials trading ratings with their peers. If you don't get on the treadmill, you lose.

Officials who are chasing the Holy Grail of working downstate really work the system and acrue in some cases close to 200 ratings. I don't pay attention to it as I don't aspire to join the rat race. Sadly, on the varsity level, many coaches fail to rate their officials.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

If you are talking about the IHSA process, this is a rating system not an evaluation system. It is also meant for only varsity contests, not lower level contests. Only Certified officials and varsity schools (usually the head coach) are allowed to rate officials.

Ratings go like this:

1--State Final Official
2--Sectional Official
3--Regional Official
4--Varsity Official
5--Lower Level Official (and must accompany some written information)

I know people that will rate officials at any level, but personally I have a problem with that. For one you should not get rated for working a contest in which is not equivalent to what the rating is for in the first place. And it is not fair to judge you in a situation when you will not likely be working 3 Person during the game. Two person has a completely different set of challenges that 3 Person does not. And since all playoff games are 3 Person, it is also kind of not right to judge you based on many factors you will not experience. And as a certified official, the state has made it clear they do not want X and R officials to be rated 1s and 2s when they will never work a state final and working a Sectional is also pretty impossible.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
As a certified official, he can 'rate' you. Basically, the more ratings you pile up, the better your chances for post season games. Coaches also can rate you. It's become somewhat of popularity contest, with officials trading ratings with their peers. If you don't get on the treadmill, you lose.

Officials who are chasing the Holy Grail of working downstate really work the system and acrue in some cases close to 200 ratings. I don't pay attention to it as I don't aspire to join the rat race. Sadly, on the varsity level, many coaches fail to rate their officials.
Speaking of which I don't think you have rated me yet this year! I'll take one for last Sat
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
Speaking of which I don't think you have rated me yet this year! I'll take one for last Sat

For that park district game in Mooseheart????
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
This is not really true. The part about the more ratings you get the more likely you will get playoffs. It is only 5 points in a 40 point system. If your overall Power Rating is high it does not really matter what your game ratings are. You have to have some other things high and you are competing against other officials in your area. It is true the more ratings the higher your "game" ratings will be, but this is only one part of the process. And honestly, if you do not have some other things going for you, your ratings will not help you.

Quote:
I can only speak of what I know but 200 would be extremely high for those that have worked the State Finals (at least on the boy's side). Actually if you have 50 ratings that is probably rather high. I know some that have higher, but they are the minority based on what I have seen. I say this because the last couple of years I have close to 80 total game ratings and I had more ratings than many guys had that have worked the state finals. And I have only worked a Sectional (the second tier of our system for those outside of Illinois). You have to have other things like Top 15 percentages, ranking (C, R, X) and even a certain number of varsity games as well.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is not really true. The part about the more ratings you get the more likely you will get playoffs. It is only 5 points in a 40 point system. If your overall Power Rating is high it does not really matter what your game ratings are. You have to have some other things high and you are competing against other officials in your area. It is true the more ratings the higher your "game" ratings will be, but this is only one part of the process. And honestly, if you do not have some other things going for you, your ratings will not help you.

I can only speak of what I know but 200 would be extremely high for those that have worked the State Finals (at least on the boy's side). Actually if you have 50 ratings that is probably rather high. I know some that have higher, but they are the minority based on what I have seen. I say this because the last couple of years I have close to 80 total game ratings and I had more ratings than many guys had that have worked the state finals. And I have only worked a Sectional (the second tier of our system for those outside of Illinois). You have to have other things like Top 15 percentages, ranking (C, R, X) and even a certain number of varsity games as well.

Peace
The coaches are the ones who drive me crazy. Here is an opportunity for them to have a say (at least in theory) about the officials who work their games and in my experience they do next to nothing about it. I think I have done around 15 boys games this year and a grand total of 5 coach ratings out of a possible 30!
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For that park district game in Mooseheart????
You laugh but they put on a helluva halftime show. The Moosettes are something to behold.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
To be honest, I don't fully understand the whole rating system. Someone told me about an official that has over 150 ratings in already. Sounds impossible, yet some guys are handing out numbers to any certified official in sight.

Again, it does bug me that coaches fail to submit their ratings by years end, but what's new?
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
The coaches are the ones who drive me crazy. Here is an opportunity for them to have a say (at least in theory) about the officials who work their games and in my experience they do next to nothing about it. I think I have done around 15 boys games this year and a grand total of 5 coach ratings out of a possible 30!
I agree, but since this is only a small part of the process I do not worry or concern myself with this. I should have over 100 every year and about a 1/3 of the ratings never come in. I have 15 coaches’ ratings right now and I have worked 32 games as of yesterday. And I have 17 Official's ratings. Now I do not think they post all of them weekly, so there might be many more in the office and not published, but I certainly should have more than I do right now. But it is what it is and I try not to worry about things that I cannot control. I was observed by someone last Friday; I can control what I show them. Those things sometimes mean more than the ratings you actually get.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree, but since this is only a small part of the process I do not worry or concern myself with this. I should have over 100 every year and about a 1/3 of the ratings never come in. I have 15 coaches’ ratings right now and I have worked 32 games as of yesterday. And I have 17 Official's ratings. Now I do not think they post all of them weekly, so there might be many more in the office and not published, but I certainly should have more than I do right now. But it is what it is and I try not to worry about things that I cannot control. I was observed by someone last Friday; I can control what I show them. Those things sometimes mean more than the ratings you actually get.

Peace
I know of one coach in my area who claims he submits all his ratings at years end. He purposely doesn't rate an official 'freshly' after a game as to take the emotion out of his rating.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
To be honest, I don't fully understand the whole rating system. Someone told me about an official that has over 150 ratings in already. Sounds impossible, yet some guys are handing out numbers to any certified official in sight.

Again, it does bug me that coaches fail to submit their ratings by years end, but what's new?
I can tell you based on many state final officials; many do not get any more than 50. And some of this is based on what part of the state they are from. I work with two guys that worked a Super-Sectional last year and I had more ratings than each of those officials individually. And these were guys that worked many more Sectionals than I might ever get in my career. Then again they live in a different area. And they were shocked when I told them my numbers.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can tell you based on many state final officials; many do not get any more than 50. And some of this is based on what part of the state they are from. I work with two guys that worked a Super-Sectional last year and I had more ratings than each of those officials individually. And these were guys that worked many more Sectionals than I might ever get in my career. Then again they live in a different area. And they were shocked when I told them my numbers.

Peace
Do you think it's partially due to the amount of tournies in our area that I'm sure you work plenty of where there are officials coming and going so It's possible to pick up 9-12 ratings in a day? This may not be the case in more rural areas.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 09:31am
M.A.S.H.

I have worked 23 boys game this year so far. I only have 10 ratings from coaches and 20 from officials.

In my opinion, I certainly picked up most of my ratings from the holiday tournaments.