The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Six players on the court

Three minutes or so into the fourth quarter we have a common foul and the ball is awarded at the baseline for an inbound play. I'm Lead administering the ball, just after I hand the ball to Black a White Sub comes to the table. Trail didn't see him (nor did C or L) but the horn sounds and the player comes on the court to sub. Six players on the court is a Tech, but what I want to know is what I (as lead) could have done better and us as a crew could have done better, as well as any additional insight you have.

Thanks.

YouTube - Tech1 2010_01_15_11_33_43.avi
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Your T here is for the sub coming in without being beckoned rather than for 6 players. The difference is a sub T is charged directly to the player, while a 6 player T is simply a team T.

This one's tough to prevent, too.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 01:54pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Three minutes or so into the fourth quarter we have a common foul and the ball is awarded at the baseline for an inbound play. I'm Lead administering the ball, just after I hand the ball to Black a White Sub comes to the table. Trail didn't see him (nor did C or L) but the horn sounds and the player comes on the court to sub. Six players on the court is a Tech, but what I want to know is what I (as lead) could have done better and us as a crew could have done better, as well as any additional insight you have.

Thanks.

If the sub came to the table just as you handed the ball to the player, and the horn sounded afterward, you did nothing wrong. The horn should not have sounded, and even if it did, the sub should not have entered without being beckoned.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

The player running out is not something you have control over.

I would suggest that you could have blown your whistle to acknowledge the horn and stop the inbound, as oftentimes players will stop when they hear the horn.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post

Thanks.

Did you let the T handle your call/no call? and do all the heavy lifting? You had all the information.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
I would suggest that you could have blown your whistle to acknowledge the horn and stop the inbound, as oftentimes players will stop when they hear the horn.
I personally don't do this, because now you have to let the sub in and I'd prefer not to. From this situation, this T needed to be called for this player to learn.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I personally don't do this, because now you have to let the sub in and I'd prefer not to. From this situation, this T needed to be called for this player to learn.
And I would argue that the L should've seen that sub coming up to the table and withheld the throw-in. He was essentially at the X when the ball was handed to the thrower-in. The last thing I do before handing the ball is look at the table and it doesn't appear the L did.

In this situation, I'd hit the whistle, take the ball back, and allow the sub. No T. I would talk to the kid about not coming in on the horn and wait to be beckoned, but we shouldn't have had the horn in the first place.

Last edited by Rich; Fri Jan 15, 2010 at 02:19pm.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The OP asked for a possible way to prevent this which is what I offered.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your T here is for the sub coming in without being beckoned rather than for 6 players. The difference is a sub T is charged directly to the player, while a 6 player T is simply a team T.
Right. My bad.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The OP asked for a possible way to prevent this which is what I offered.
Fair enough. Now, Rich makes a good point, the events (hand off and player getting to the X) are pretty close together. I'm not against his advice on this, and have done just that on occasion. If, however, the coach has made a habit of sending subs to the table at just this moment, I won't do it.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

I am with RichMSN, the very last thing I do before handing the ball to the inbounder is to glance at the table. If he's close, I will just hold up and point towards the table therefore notifying the table side official that a sub is coming in. In this case, I would have killed it, since the buzzer sounded, kept the player out and started back up with the throw in. No harm done.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you let the T handle your call/no call? and do all the heavy lifting? You had all the information.
Yes. And maybe that is something I could do differently. My thought/justification was that He knew that he didn't beckon the sub in and there was more controversy over that than having them sub during play. I didn't think about it much I guess. He explained to the coach the situation and I just administered the FTs.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
And I would argue that the L should've seen that sub coming up to the table and withheld the throw-in. He was essentially at the X when the ball was handed to the thrower-in. The last thing I do before handing the ball is look at the table and it doesn't appear the L did.
I disagree.

The player doesn't even appear on screen until the whistle is blown to inbound the ball. He doesn't reach the middle of the bench to report as a sub until the ball is in the player's hands.

I often have coaches who send their kid to the bench right as the ball is inbounding because they want them to be ready at the next opportunity for a substitution.

Once the whistle is blown to put the ball in play, my eyes aren't at the table. My eyes are on the players, anticipating anything that may happen.

So, Clark, I think you guys did a great job (except for the type of T that was called). This was a horn operator error, as well as the kid's fault for coming in un-beckoned, and you guys did the best you could with it.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I disagree.

The player doesn't even appear on screen until the whistle is blown to inbound the ball. He doesn't reach the middle of the bench to report as a sub until the ball is in the player's hands.

I often have coaches who send their kid to the bench right as the ball is inbounding because they want them to be ready at the next opportunity for a substitution.

Once the whistle is blown to put the ball in play, my eyes aren't at the table. My eyes are on the players, anticipating anything that may happen.

So, Clark, I think you guys did a great job (except for the type of T that was called). This was a horn operator error, as well as the kid's fault for coming in un-beckoned, and you guys did the best you could with it.
The whistle is irrelevant. Why is it being blown anyway?
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The whistle is irrelevant. Why is it being blown anyway?
Unless it took exceptionally long to report the foul that preceded the video, I agree.