The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Youth Game - 12 and under, beginning of 4th quarter, horn sounds, whistle blows, blue team sends 5 players to the court, whistle blows again, a whistle blows a third time, ball placed on the floor and the count begins, white team runs onto the court, picks up the ball and inbounds the ball. A whistle blows a fourth time, T-Foul, white has 6 players on the court.

White team was up 15+ in points, coach didn't mind a bit and used this as a learning opportunity. It was also the first time the coach spoke to me all game. What a gem of a coach.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Why?

Why did you place the ball on the floor? Not sure about Fed rules, but as far as NCAA goes and I think they are the same on this, there is no hurry up basketball between quarters or halves. The team is allowed up to a minute following the second horn to resume play. At that point you could issue a delay of game technical. Based on what you said, I might have gone over and told the coach after the second horn, "Coach you have one minute to get your players on the floor". Sometinmes these leagues are as much a learning tool for the coaches as it is for the players.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Re: Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
Why did you place the ball on the floor? Not sure about Fed rules, but as far as NCAA goes and I think they are the same on this, there is no hurry up basketball between quarters or halves. The team is allowed up to a minute following the second horn to resume play. At that point you could issue a delay of game technical. Based on what you said, I might have gone over and told the coach after the second horn, "Coach you have one minute to get your players on the floor". Sometinmes these leagues are as much a learning tool for the coaches as it is for the players.
I'll tell you why, because if you don't they will take a month of Sundays to get back on the floor. Put the ball down or give it to the in bounding team are the only ways some youth league coaches will learn.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Our youth play TAAF - Texas Amateur Athletic Federation -
Our local league supports the action I described above. I will try to find TAAF supporting rule if you are curious enough.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fed uses resumption of play between quarters.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NCAAREF,
What the heck are you talking about?

NFHS Rule 7-5-1:
"A specific procedure is used to prevent delay in resuming play following a time-out or the intermission between any quarters. The timer will sound the authorized warning signal and final signal. The administering official will then sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. In each situation:
a) the ball shall be put in play if Team A is ready or it shall be placed on the floor.
b) The throw-in count shall begin and if a violation occurs, the procedure will be repeated for Team B.
c) Following a violation by one team and one team only, if that team continues to delay when authorized to make a throw-in, it is a technical foul.
d) Following a violation by both teams, any further delay by either team results in a technical foul.

You're saying that the teams get a whole minute after the second horn? You're kidding right?

Z

Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

I had a coach go off on me because I put it in play.

During a 30 sec timeout, the first horn blew. I informed Coach A "1st horn". Second horn blew. Team B is ready to imbound the ball.

"Come on White"....Blow my whistle. "Come on white, we are going to play without you". He continues talking with team. We are now at least 40 seconds beyond horn. I look to my partner and tell him to put it in play.

B team inbounds and makes an easy layup. Coach A throws his clipboard on floor. Coach B wants a T. I didn't. Next dead ball, Coach A is ragging on my partner. I went over and told him we called him out several times and he ignored it. It almost cost him the game.

Later, I was wondering if I should have given a T instead of placing the ball in play. I've seen it written on this forum, but this thread says to put it in play. Can you give me rule #.

Thanks,
DD
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I had a coach go off on me because I put it in play.

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
During a 30 sec timeout, the first horn blew. I informed Coach A "1st horn". Second horn blew. Team B is ready to imbound the ball.

"Come on White"....Blow my whistle. "Come on white, we are going to play without you". He continues talking with team. We are now at least 40 seconds beyond horn. I look to my partner and tell him to put it in play.

B team inbounds and makes an easy layup. Coach A throws his clipboard on floor. Coach B wants a T. I didn't. Next dead ball, Coach A is ragging on my partner. I went over and told him we called him out several times and he ignored it. It almost cost him the game.

Later, I was wondering if I should have given a T instead of placing the ball in play. I've seen it written on this forum, but this thread says to put it in play. Can you give me rule #.

Thanks,
DD
There are two different rules that apply at two different times. Both can have a T as a result.

A team shall not: ... Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this includes the following and similar acts:

10-1-5(a) When the clock is not running consuming a full minute through not being ready when it is time to start either half.

10-1-5(b)...Delay the game by preventing the ball from being made promptly live or from being put in play. See 7-5-1 and 8-1-1 for the resumption-of-play procedure to use after a time-out or the intermission between quarters. The procedure is used prior to charging a technical foul in these specific situations.

The one minute followed by the T is appropriate at the beginning of a half. The resumption-of-play procedure (potentially followed by a technical foul for continuted delay) is appropriate after a time out or between 1st and 2nd or 3rd and 4th quarters.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

NCAAREF,
What the heck are you talking about?

He's talking about the NCAA rule -- which is different.

See 4-Resumption of Play
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Zebr a& Bob

Thanks Bob. Like I mentioned I wasn't sure about Fed rules. Unless someone specifically asks about NCAA rules I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut.
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Why?

NCAAREF,

Don't sweat it. I have a hard enough time remembering one set of rules, let alone two.

Z
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: I had a coach go off on me because I put it in play.

[
The one minute followed by the T is appropriate at the beginning of a half. The resumption-of-play procedure (potentially followed by a technical foul for continuted delay) is appropriate after a time out or between 1st and 2nd or 3rd and 4th quarters. [/B][/QUOTE]

Resumption of play is in effect to start the 2nd half of play unless either team has not returned to the court at the end of the halftime intermission.