The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

ok folks here i go again.

a1 drives the lane picks up dribble takes 2 steps, jumps and has the ball at his midsection. b1 steps toward a1 with his hands high to defend, jumps and causes the ball to become "sandwitched"(for lack of better word) between the 2 players making a1 unable to finish. they then both come to the ground.

what would you call on this play?
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

Arrow foul for sure

Now, it sounds like a block to me, only because B1's hands are high above his head. And if the order stated is accurate, you can't go jump ball since A1 left the ground before B1.

The only way I could see it as incidental contact is if A1 leaps so far towards the hoop and B1 barely moves forward in his jump.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 06:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
ok folks here i go again.

a1 drives the lane picks up dribble takes 2 steps, jumps and has the ball at his midsection. b1 steps toward a1 with his hands high to defend, jumps and causes the ball to become "sandwitched"(for lack of better word) between the 2 players making a1 unable to finish. they then both come to the ground.

what would you call on this play?
Block.
b1 moving toward a1, who is in the air.
mick
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Block? Where is the contact?

If it happens the way it was written, sounds like traveling when A1 comes back down. I don't see how you can have a block since b1 is not contacting A1, only the ball. Second choice would be a jump ball, but by rule it says hands on the ball.

I believe I would have to go with traveling.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Yuck.

I don't see much other than travelling. Can't be a block, as Self describes, because there isn't any contact - other than on the ball (not a foul). B1 didn't get hands on the ball, so it can't be a jump. Other than that, A1 went up with the ball and came down with the ball. I'd call travel, and expect to take some heat.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

SOunds like one you have to see.

Did A1 release the ball or was he holding it the entire time?

Was there contact created by B1 on the play?
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

The way I read it, you have a blocking foul on B1. B1 after A1 was in the air moved into his space. A1 is airborne, and IMO has started his movement towards the basket so you have a 2 shot penalty. Arms/hands have nothing to do with it. I can’t remember how many times I have had to tell kids that just because your arms are up you do not have license to make/cause contact.

As far as traveling, there is no way that I can see that as a call. If you were to disregard the above the fact is that the ball was stopped by the action of B1 and you would have a jump ball. (But you can not disregard the moving into A1 space and that the shot movement has started.)
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I don't see where it says there was no contact on the play. I don't see how there can be no contact on this play - A1 moving to the basket & B1 stepping in to defend. Block.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Rec Ref Again where is the contact?

B1 never touched A1, how can you have a foul?B1 only touched the ball.

Second to have a jump ball B1 has to block the ball with his hands per rule 4-25-2. The only contact was the body to the ball.

This is a traveling violation.....
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I don't see where it says there was no contact on the play. I don't see how there can be no contact on this play - A1 moving to the basket & B1 stepping in to defend. Block.
I don't understand what you mean. The play as it reads says the only contact was on the ball. So if that is the only contact on the ball, per rule 4-19-1 there was no contact on the opponent so it cannot be a personal foul.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Self
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I don't understand what you mean. The play as it reads says the only contact was on the ball. So if that is the only contact on the ball, per rule 4-19-1 there was no contact on the opponent so it cannot be a personal foul.
Well, here's the play:

a1 drives the lane picks up dribble takes 2 steps, jumps and has the ball at his midsection. b1 steps toward
a1 with his hands high to defend, jumps and causes the ball to become "sandwitched"(for lack of better
word) between the 2 players making a1 unable to finish. they then both come to the ground.

Maybe you can tell me where it says there's no contact except on the ball? I can't see it, so I'm assuming there will be "contact on the opponent". In fact, I'm saying in this case there is almost always contact, so I'm going with the block.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Well, whatever you call (or no-call) on this play, you're going to have some 'splanin to do Lucy!!!!

A jump ball may be the easiest call to sell here even though, by rule, it is not the correct call.

I would venture to say that a majority of officials, given this play in a game situation, would call a jump ball if there was no contact other than B1 on the ball with his body.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I'm going with a block on this one! Unless the coach has an angle that he can clearly see that only the ball was contacted by b1, it is not going to be hard to sell!

AK ref SE
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

While the case was presented with some ambiguity, I believe the intent was that there was no contact. He said that he ball was "sandwiched" between the players. I interpreted that to mean the bodies didn't contact each other...the presence of the ball prevented any contact.

I have traveling.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AK ref SE
I'm going with a block on this one! Unless the coach has an angle that he can clearly see that only the ball was contacted by b1, it is not going to be hard to sell!

AK ref SE
You're going to make a call based on what the coach expects and can see??? Bet you could sell that "over-the-back" call too but that doesn't make it right.