Thread: gps-10
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 19, 2002, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Sorry to weigh in so late - just saw this today. I got a travel on this one. That brief sandwich isn't a held ball, and there is no illegal contact. Just a case of A leaving his feet, running out of space to operate, and coming back down again.
Coach, as Dan_ref said above, the key to all of this is that A1 is airborne. If B1 moves into A1 or into A1 landing spot after he is in the air it can not be anything but a block.
If it is ball to body rather than body to body, or at least body to body is minimal at best (as crew states in a follow-up post), there is no illegal contact, therefore no foul. I am not replying to all of the hypotheticals about illegal contact, just to crew's case as he states it.

I understand the airborne shooter principle - but this only applies if there is illegal contact. A does not have a landing spot until he lands. Since he didn't land on B, B wasn't in A's landing spot. Had A tucked the ball and crashed into B, he may have drawn a foul. But A let the ball hit B then lost control of body in air. There is no foul here, just a choice between a held ball and a travel. And I go with travel for the reasons I cited.