The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Handling a partner who is too good for the game at hand

I got a phone call from one of my assigners today giving me a heads up about my partner for an upcoming sub-varsity game. Apparently my partner has quite clearly and repeatedly expressed absolute confidence that s/he should be working only varsity games and not be bothered with lower level games.

AFAIK I've never met this person, nor have I heard anything else about this person as a partner. But I trust my assigner's judgment and recognize that a heads up like this is quite extraordinary.

I'm assigned to be the R. I'm looking for some advice and ideas on how I can best handle both the partner and the situation to have the best chance of everything going well.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 04:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

"This may not be the best game we are assigned to all season but let's give these kid's best officiated game they will have all season..." and then go from there.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I got a phone call from one of my assigners today giving me a heads up about my partner for an upcoming sub-varsity game. Apparently my partner has quite clearly and repeatedly expressed absolute confidence that s/he should be working only varsity games and not be bothered with lower level games.

AFAIK I've never met this person, nor have I heard anything else about this person as a partner. But I trust my assigner's judgment and recognize that a heads up like this is quite extraordinary.

I'm assigned to be the R. I'm looking for some advice and ideas on how I can best handle both the partner and the situation to have the best chance of everything going well.
Delegate the responsibilities of the toss to your partner. It will make him feel more important.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 04:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe a good dressing-down would be in order?

"So, I hear you think you're slumming tonight."
Official Forum Member

" i love working these lower level games. It helps me perfect my game. I heard you are allready perfect so you can go home if you want."
Do not give a damn!!

I would not say a word. Just go work the game and leave it at that. Even if that is what your assignor says, that does not mean they are saying this to everyone that will listen. Treat them like any other official until they prove you wrong.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would not say a word. Just go work the game and leave it at that. Even if that is what your assignor says, that does not mean they are saying this to everyone that will listen. Treat them like any other official until they prove you wrong.

Peace
well said.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 04:59pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Peace
Agreed...just be ready to TCB if the partner decides nothing nees to be called in that low-level of a game.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

A partner who THINKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post

Handling a partner who THINKS he is too good for the game at hand

Fixed it for ya.........
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 05:12pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:

Peace
My thoughts exactly JRut. I'd pretend like I never heard the assignors bias and go into the game with an open mind with a new partner...and see what happens. Give em the benefit of the doubt at the start. Who knows, maybe you'll get a pleasant surprise.

Now ya know ya gotta come back and tell us what you did and how it goes!

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Jan 06, 2010 at 05:14pm.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

There's always someone who wants the gig ...

I once was the program director of a small non-profit radio station. I had an announcer who felt that he should only be assigned to "prime" time.

He was heard very little on the station for many months. He than took whatever was offered and was grateful. Message sent and message received.

I would think an assignor might use the same approach before it gets to calling partners with warnings.

Last edited by ref3808; Wed Jan 06, 2010 at 09:01pm.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

If he feels this way, you will know it soon enough. Just do your best and show him that every game deserves good officiating.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to irp
I think I would deal with the game as any other, every game deserves our best so that is what we will do.

(and I can practice my mechanics as well of course ).
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 12:46pm
M.A.S.H.

Treat and approach it just like any other game. Have a good pre-game, go out, work hard, and have fun.

As Jeff said, treat them just like any other partner until they prove you wrong. If that happens, in my opinion, it becomes a GIGO situation.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I would say nothing. Work harder than him. His ego will eventually make him work hard too!

This happens to me when I work DII and DIII baseball games with guys in my area who work DI. They sort of suggest they are "above" the today game. I just go out and work hard and have a good laugh when I don't hear a peep from either coach, but he get rode all day long by them! It happens almost every time. Coaches can sniff out that kind of arrogance in a second and will usually reward it with some good ol' fashion jeering!