The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Need a good hand signal...

Being a "rookie" with NFHS this year, I need to be better at selling my calls and one of those ways is coming up with a good signal for "basket counts" on a foul on the shot. Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations etc?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Don't need to "sell" - just be firm.

Fist goes up, ball goes in, bring fist down.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial
Being a "rookie" with NFHS this year, I need to be better at selling my calls and one of those ways is coming up with a good signal for "basket counts" on a foul on the shot. Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations etc?
First of all, IMO, the dreaded "and1" is something that probably isn't called much. I'd say in my varsity games this year there may be 1 or 2 a game. I personally don't call many of those - if there's contact and the ball goes in I try to pass. Of course, if the defense commits felony assault you have to call that - but a bump here or a nic there - pass.

As far as the mechanic goes - my suggestion is to watch other officials and get the basic movement down and stand in front of a mirror and get something you like and are comfortable with. I actually do this every year for both basketball and softball in the preseason. I watch myself go through the range of mechanics. I check things like arm height on my counts, straight up on clock stop and fouls, and even my fingers on reporting numbers. I know it sounds anal - but the mirror is a great asset in helping your mechanics.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 01:58am
Do not give a damn!!

If you ever watch the NBA officials, you will notice that they are a matter of fact on most calls. "Counting a basket" is a normal call. I would not try to make too much of selling this call. Other calls you might have to sell much more. I would not try to sell that specific call. My signal is so "matter of fact" and I try my best not to put on a show on this call. The players, coaches and fans are going to react enough for me. As stated before, if your signals are crisp and sharp, you will hardly need to sell anything.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

I do a double back flip ending with a punch towards the ground when I come to a stop....

...then the stretcher comes out and hauls me off the court to an awaiting ambulance to take me to the ER!
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I do a double back flip ending with a punch towards the ground when I come to a stop....
What.......no fishnets?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 03:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If you ever watch the NBA officials, you will notice that they are a matter of fact on most calls. "Counting a basket" is a normal call. I would not try to make too much of selling this call. Other calls you might have to sell much more. I would not try to sell that specific call. My signal is so "matter of fact" and I try my best not to put on a show on this call. The players, coaches and fans are going to react enough for me. As stated before, if your signals are crisp and sharp, you will hardly need to sell anything.
Agree completely.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Need a good hand signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust

...then the stretcher comes out and hauls me off the court to an awaiting ambulance to take me to the ER!
That was way too funny !!!!!!! I almost burned myself with the morning coffee reading that one. I'd like to know if you do this at the spot of the foul or at the table ?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Need a good hand signal

When you blow your whistle, everyone is directing their attention to you. NFHS 2006-07 Rules Book pg.76 shows the proper mechanic to count the basket. It does not need to be demonstative -just simple. Then take the call to the table and slowly. . . . . . count the basket first . . . . then give color, number, type of foul and announce one shot.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial
I usually go up with the fist and when the ball enters the basket, I come down showing two fingers pointed straight out. I also do this at the table, just lettting them know that the two points are good.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:06am

I like Camron Rusts too but I beat my chest 3-4 times, look up in the air and scream.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Double TWEET

I do a very basic signal as described above also.

I have a question though. I have noticed more and more officials that Do this,

A goes up for the shot, B fouls "TWEET" wait for it, ball goes in then "TWEET" with the downward motion of the arm.

Correct me if i am wrong but i have never seen that in a mechanics book or been taught that by any of my mentors.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:45am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter
A goes up for the shot, B fouls "TWEET" wait for it, ball goes in then "TWEET" with the downward motion of the arm.
You're correct. No second tweet.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter
I do a very basic signal as described above also.

I have a question though. I have noticed more and more officials that Do this,

Correct me if i am wrong but i have never seen that in a mechanics book or been taught that by any of my mentors.

The second tweet and punching the score down, is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Makes you look like a huge rookie. JMO

Scorring the bucker? Fist up, come down with two fingers straight out, then give it again at the table, simple, easy, looks good.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

All good suggestions. I'd add that early on in my career I was coached to hit myself in the ear with the inside of my elbow on every foul and violation. Getting that initial signal straight up in the air will make you look confident and sure of your call.