The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Uniform question

Watching a high school game tonight. Late in the game a sub came in whose shorts did not match his teammates. Teammates shorts were white with blue while this kid's shorts were solid white. T was issued.

I can't find anywhere in the rulebook where it says the shorts must match. For that matter I can't find where the jerseys must match.

Am I not reading it correctly?
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 10:08pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Watching a high school game tonight. Late in the game a sub came in whose shorts did not match his teammates. Teammates shorts were white with blue while this kid's shorts were solid white. T was issued.

I can't find anywhere in the rulebook where it says the shorts must match. For that matter I can't find where the jerseys must match.

Am I not reading it correctly?
Would love to have a word with these plumbers!!!

O-o officials screwed the pooch on this one, big time.

We do not have any sayso regarding shorts other to ensure they are worn properly.

Crap like this does wonders for our credibility and reputations as a group.

Do us all a favor and make sure this gets brought to the attention of their assignor.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 10:18pm
This IS My Social Life

Hey!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post

Go ahead, I am one. I'm listening.
Oh, you meant one of those officials there who made that call, not all plumbers in general, right?

Last edited by Freddy; Tue Jan 05, 2010 at 10:23pm.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post

O-o officials screwed the pooch on this one, big time.

We do not have any sayso regarding shorts other to ensure they are worn properly.

Crap like this does wonders for our credibility and reputations as a group.

Do us all a favor and make sure this gets brought to the attention of their assignor.
Justacoach,

what about the size of logos on the shorts?

3.4.5 SITUATION: Prior to the jump ball to start the game, the officials observe that the five Team B starters are all wearing pants which have (a) a manufacturer's logo & a school's mascot which meets the proper dimension limitations; or (b) a manufacturer's logo that exceeds the limitation of 2¼ square inches by 2¼ square inches in any one dimension.

RULING: Legal uniforms in (a). In (b), illegal pants. The Team B head coach is charged directly with a technical foul. (3-6-2; 10-5-4)
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 10:26pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

Go ahead, I am one. I'm listening.
Oh, you meant one of those officials there who made that call, not all plumbers in general, right?
So I recall. Sorry to besmirch your honorable profession. Of course I meant in the figurative sense..
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

As far as I know, the only restrictions on the shorts themselves have to do with logos (NFHS 3-4-5):

ART. 5 . . . Uniform pants/skirts shall adhere to the following:
a. Only one visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference is permitted. See 3-6-2 for size requirements.

As for jerseys having to match, here's the skinny on that (NFHS 3-4-1):

ART. 1 . . . Team jersey color and design shall adhere to the following:
a. The torso of the team jersey shall be the same single solid color for all team members.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post

a. The torso of the team jersey shall be the same single solid color for all team members.
Saw that but I don't see anything from preventing one player on the home team from wearing a white jersey with "WILDCATS" and a teammate with a white jersey with "Wildcats" in script or in a different color.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
As far as I know, the only restrictions on the shorts themselves have to do with logos (NFHS 3-4-5):

ART. 5 . . . Uniform pants/skirts shall adhere to the following:
a. Only one visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference is permitted. See 3-6-2 for size requirements.

Generally though, aren't the uniform rules more strictly enforced for Varsity Contests?

How strict should the rules be for Sub-Varsity Sqauds?

Last year there were a few times, where a Varsity Player played a quarter of JV, wearing the Varsity White home jersey, yet the JV Home Jersey was another light color.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Saw that but I don't see anything from preventing one player on the home team from wearing a white jersey with "WILDCATS" and a teammate with a white jersey with "Wildcats" in script or in a different color.
Sorry, thought we were just talking about color. I believe you are correct. Aside from being the same color, each jersey must individually adhere to the requirements of 3-4. But there is no requirement that they all be "identical".
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Generally though, aren't the uniform rules more strictly enforced for Varsity Contests?

How strict should the rules be for Sub-Varsity Sqauds?

Last year there were a few times, where a Varsity Player played a quarter of JV, wearing the Varsity White home jersey, yet the JV Home Jersey was another light color.
BITS cited the uniform rule on shorts. The OP had nothing to do with logos. And as noted, the officials in the OP decided to be the uniform police and were dead solid wrong.

Sub varsity/JV etc.-check local listings. Where I am, do to budget issues, the fact that V players will also play some sub V/JV etc., we are directed to not be the uniform police at this level. Jersey torsos same color, no duplicate #'s (we use tape to make corrections).....we're good to go.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

What can you do if Team A wore their white home jersey and Team B do likewise? And neither Team has their away jersey.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
BITS cited the uniform rule on shorts. The OP had nothing to do with logos. And as noted, the officials in the OP decided to be the uniform police and were dead solid wrong.

Sub varsity/JV etc.-check local listings. Where I am, do to budget issues, the fact that V players will also play some sub V/JV etc., we are directed to not be the uniform police at this level. Jersey torsos same color, no duplicate #'s (we use tape to make corrections).....we're good to go.
In my posting however, I mentioned that the Varsity player was wearing the Home White, while the JV Home was wearing their home jersey, but it was of another color. So in that case the jersey torsos were not of the same color.

Budget does have something to do with how many players suit up, but school size also is a consideration.

Concerning the shorts issue, I was just mentioning that in the case book about the logos cause of not being within the specifications for the sizing. But then on the logo sizes, how many officials carry tape measures with them & check every player's uniform before they play?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

So what most of you are saying is ...

that the officials came up a little "short" on this one. Guess their call was a stretch?

Geez, common sense would tell you that for any high school these days the uniform budget is probably near the bottom of the priorities. I think at our local high school they are using three generations of uniforms to outfit the three teams (F, JV, V).

Don't we have enough to watch without creating added uniform issues by rewriting the rule book.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 07:19am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Size Matters......

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
JVB game last year. H JV's were wearing "hand-me-down" V jerseys. They were so big the JV boys could hardly keep their pants up and shirts tucked in.....not only did it look really bad, it also helped lead to a sloppy game.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Anybody know what the word 'uniform' means?

We often see JV players who are playing up but don't have a V uniform. No big deal. :shrug: