The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Generally though, aren't the uniform rules more strictly enforced for Varsity Contests?

How strict should the rules be for Sub-Varsity Sqauds?

Last year there were a few times, where a Varsity Player played a quarter of JV, wearing the Varsity White home jersey, yet the JV Home Jersey was another light color.
I'd allow it, applying the same rationale as the "blood on the jersey, and no replacement available" case play.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 09:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
As far as I know, the only restrictions on the shorts themselves have to do with logos (NFHS 3-4-5):

ART. 5 . . . Uniform pants/skirts shall adhere to the following:
a. Only one visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference is permitted. See 3-6-2 for size requirements.
We blewn this one last night. The visiting team gets new uniforms every year purchased by a prominent alumnus, the shorts had the logo in 2 different locations.

Shooting an email to my executive board right now to advise them of the situation.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 10:23am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
We blewn this one last night. The visiting team gets new uniforms every year purchased by a prominent alumnus, the shorts had the logo in 2 different locations.

Shooting an email to my executive board right now to advise them of the situation.
BNR:
You know your Uniform Police badge is about to be revoked!!
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 11:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
BNR:
Yeah, I know. But at least I did the honorable thing and self-reported. You know, like the USC Trojan basketball program.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 06:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We'll Take Your Secret Decoder Ring Also ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'd allow it, applying the same rationale as the "blood on the jersey, and no replacement available" case play.
And that case and its rationale, for those following along at home, is this: "B1 is directed to leave the game because of excessive blood on his/her uniform shirt. Team B’s manager has failed to pack any extra shirts. (a) The coach asks one of the substitutes to give his/her shirt to B1; or (b) Team A is able to find a shirt which B1 can wear even though it is not exactly the same color or style of the Team B shirts. The shirt will however, clearly identify B1 as a member of Team B and will not be confusing to either team or the officials. RULING: Acceptable procedure in both (a) and (b). In both situations the scorer will make necessary changes in the scorebook without penalty. COMMENT: The spirit and intent of the rule is to do everything possible to allow the player to use a different shirt and return without penalty. However, identical numbers shall not be allowed on the same team." (NFHS 3.3.7 A)
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

I would suggest that the rule itself may allow for a team's jerseys to be different shades of the same color.

"The torso of the team jersey shall be the same single solid color for all team members."

It comes down to how you define "single solid color". Let's ignore solid for the moment. What is a single color? Is blue a color, or is that too broad? Is navy blue a color, or is that too broad? Are we talking a single swatch from the Pantone color chart?

I submit the answer is somewhere in between blue and PMS 286 and that "pretty close" is close enough to actually comply with the rule and eliminates the need for any hand wringing.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

From the Rules for Men ...

ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not A color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what Mauve is.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not A color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what Mauve is.
ROFL

As I recall, however, the default 16 colors included several light and dark shade color pairs (e.g., white/gray, blue/light blue, red/magenta, etc.). And by that very colorful (pun intended) logic, I think my assertion stands. For example, any shade of blue that isn't obviously light blue, is blue.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the lighting in most gyms is good enough for me to discern navy blue from blue. Heck the coach from my last game clearly thought my eyes were bad anyway.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Pantone Matching System???

Quote:
I would suggest that the rule itself may allow for a team's jerseys to be different shades of the same color.

"The torso of the team jersey shall be the same single solid color for all team members."

It comes down to how you define "single solid color". Let's ignore solid for the moment. What is a single color? Is blue a color, or is that too broad? Is navy blue a color, or is that too broad? Are we talking a single swatch from the Pantone color chart?

I submit the answer is somewhere in between blue and PMS 286 and that "pretty close" is close enough to actually comply with the rule and eliminates the need for any hand wringing.
So do you carry your own personal PMS book with you to check out the different shades? A mention of the Pantone Matching System and uniform colors are in the same sentence. Wow, who know? I'm impressed!
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ROFL

As I recall, however, the default 16 colors included several light and dark shade color pairs (e.g., white/gray, blue/light blue, red/magenta, etc.). And by that very colorful (pun intended) logic, I think my assertion stands. For example, any shade of blue that isn't obviously light blue, is blue.
I use the same logic for this as I do for the headband color:

I only had the box of 8 Crayola (tm) crayons in kindergarden, not the box of 64 with the fancy crayon sharpener on the side. I "assign" all the colors of the uniforms and headbands to one of those 8 colors. If all get the same "assignment" then they match.

I worry about "blue" (not sky blue, navy blue, light blue, blue-green, turquoise, et) and "black" (not silver, grey)
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I use the same logic for this as I do for the headband color:

I only had the box of 8 Crayola (tm) crayons in kindergarden, not the box of 64 with the fancy crayon sharpener on the side. I "assign" all the colors of the uniforms and headbands to one of those 8 colors. If all get the same "assignment" then they match.

I worry about "blue" (not sky blue, navy blue, light blue, blue-green, turquoise, et) and "black" (not silver, grey)
I like.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Nothing new. My rant FWIW

I understand that the proper uniform is a requirement here in IL (V level only). The state wants this strictly enforced. Some officials do it, and some don't. Either because they are unfamilar with the rule, or they just don't want to. It makes it a difficult start to the game when you are the first crew to give out a T for this to start the game this late in the season (ie holiday tournament), and tell the coach he has to be buckled in for the rest of the game. To complicate matters more some teams have letters stating that there illegal uniforms are ok for the time being. State knows who the illegal teams are for the most part and it would be nice if they were more proactive before the season. I hate this rule even though I enforce it. It has nothing to do with the contest itself and in no way creates an unfair advantage to either team. Schools and coaches should get all uniform designs approved before they order new uniforms. This is always a hot topic at meetings and seems to be such every year.