The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

off ball foul during a try

I received the following inquiry. A1's try for goal is successful. While the ball is in flight B2 fouls A2. Neither team is in the bonus. What is the correct ruling?

My response is count the basket and award Team A the ball for a throw in nearest the spot of the foul. A common foul has occurred and neither the shot or the foul is complicated by the other. I was unable to identify a specific case reference or more specific explanation. Any help would be appreciated.

The inquirer indicated that he had checked with 'other sources' and gotten different responses including award 1 free throw for the foul and that the NCAA and NFHS rules differ.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 02:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

This is one of those myths stemming from NBA rules, I believe. I'm pretty sure NFHS and NCAA are identical on this.

No shots. Basket counts. A gets the ball at the spot nearest the foul.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
I received the following inquiry. A1's try for goal is successful. While the ball is in flight B2 fouls A2. Neither team is in the bonus. What is the correct ruling?

My response is count the basket and award Team A the ball for a throw in nearest the spot of the foul. A common foul has occurred and neither the shot or the foul is complicated by the other. I was unable to identify a specific case reference or more specific explanation. Any help would be appreciated.

The inquirer indicated that he had checked with 'other sources' and gotten different responses including award 1 free throw for the foul and that the NCAA and NFHS rules differ.
You are correct. Count the basket and Team A will have the ball out of bounds. Whichever sources said award 1 free throw would only be correct under NBA rules.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 02:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Oh, and tell your inquirer to stop asking coaches what the rules are.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This is one of those myths stemming from NBA rules, I believe. I'm pretty sure NFHS and NCAA are identical on this.

Wouldn't you also clear the lanes since the shooter's team is getting the ball back after his/her last FT?
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Wouldn't you also clear the lanes since the shooter's team is getting the ball back after his/her last FT?
Under NFHS and NCAA, you're not going to be shooting free throws in this instance unless Team B is in the bonus.

If you're asking under NBA rules, then no, you'd shoot one free throw with the lane filled and play resumed like a regular free throw.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Under NFHS and NCAA, you're not going to be shooting free throws in this instance unless Team B is in the bonus.

If you're asking under NBA rules, then no, you'd shoot one free throw with the lane filled and play resumed like a regular free throw.
I read it wrong. I thought shooter was shooting FT, not a FG. My bad.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And if A1 fouled B1 the answer would be the same, except B gets the ball (that is, this would not be an "offensive" or team control foul).
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
And if A1 fouled B1 the answer would be the same, except B gets the ball (that is, this would not be an "offensive" or team control foul).
...and would be able to run the endline if the spot nearest the foul was on the endline.