The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   off ball foul during a try (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56143-off-ball-foul-during-try.html)

wanja Tue Dec 29, 2009 01:57pm

off ball foul during a try

I received the following inquiry. A1's try for goal is successful. While the ball is in flight B2 fouls A2. Neither team is in the bonus. What is the correct ruling?

My response is count the basket and award Team A the ball for a throw in nearest the spot of the foul. A common foul has occurred and neither the shot or the foul is complicated by the other. I was unable to identify a specific case reference or more specific explanation. Any help would be appreciated.

The inquirer indicated that he had checked with 'other sources' and gotten different responses including award 1 free throw for the foul and that the NCAA and NFHS rules differ.

Adam Tue Dec 29, 2009 02:07pm

This is one of those myths stemming from NBA rules, I believe. I'm pretty sure NFHS and NCAA are identical on this.

No shots. Basket counts. A gets the ball at the spot nearest the foul.

APG Tue Dec 29, 2009 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanja (Post 646645)
I received the following inquiry. A1's try for goal is successful. While the ball is in flight B2 fouls A2. Neither team is in the bonus. What is the correct ruling?

My response is count the basket and award Team A the ball for a throw in nearest the spot of the foul. A common foul has occurred and neither the shot or the foul is complicated by the other. I was unable to identify a specific case reference or more specific explanation. Any help would be appreciated.

The inquirer indicated that he had checked with 'other sources' and gotten different responses including award 1 free throw for the foul and that the NCAA and NFHS rules differ.

You are correct. Count the basket and Team A will have the ball out of bounds. Whichever sources said award 1 free throw would only be correct under NBA rules.

Adam Tue Dec 29, 2009 02:09pm

Oh, and tell your inquirer to stop asking coaches what the rules are.

representing Tue Dec 29, 2009 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 646647)
This is one of those myths stemming from NBA rules, I believe. I'm pretty sure NFHS and NCAA are identical on this.

Wouldn't you also clear the lanes since the shooter's team is getting the ball back after his/her last FT?

APG Tue Dec 29, 2009 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 646717)
Wouldn't you also clear the lanes since the shooter's team is getting the ball back after his/her last FT?

Under NFHS and NCAA, you're not going to be shooting free throws in this instance unless Team B is in the bonus.

If you're asking under NBA rules, then no, you'd shoot one free throw with the lane filled and play resumed like a regular free throw.

representing Tue Dec 29, 2009 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 646719)
Under NFHS and NCAA, you're not going to be shooting free throws in this instance unless Team B is in the bonus.

If you're asking under NBA rules, then no, you'd shoot one free throw with the lane filled and play resumed like a regular free throw.

I read it wrong. I thought shooter was shooting FT, not a FG. My bad.

mbyron Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 646647)

And if A1 fouled B1 the answer would be the same, except B gets the ball (that is, this would not be an "offensive" or team control foul).

Lotto Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 646773)
And if A1 fouled B1 the answer would be the same, except B gets the ball (that is, this would not be an "offensive" or team control foul).

...and would be able to run the endline if the spot nearest the foul was on the endline.