The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal uniforms??

The officials in Illinois have been sent a bulletin on illegal uniforms. The coach must be penalized and a special report is to be sent to the IHSA. I believe it is in response to situations involving rule 3 -4 art. 4b. There appears to be several schools in my area that have uniforms that do not comply to this rule.

The way I read the rule: If any part of the number is above an imaginary line drawn under the first letter and the last letter of an arched name the uniform is illegal. The same holds true to an arched name under the number. If any part of the number is below a line drawn at the top of the arched letters the uniform is illegal.

Some officials are penalizing and some are not. Any comments? Are there uniforms in other states that do not comply to this rule?
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 12:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question What do you think about these?

Legal or not? This is an Illinois HS (my alum).

Bloom High School
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I honestly do not understand why there are stupid rules like this regarding the uniform. The uniform does not give anyone an advantage or disadvantage, whether the numbers are too big, in the wrong spot, etc.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 12:48pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
The officials in Illinois have been sent a bulletin on illegal uniforms. The coach must be penalized and a special report is to be sent to the IHSA. I believe it is in response to situations involving rule 3 -4 art. 4b. There appears to be several schools in my area that have uniforms that do not comply to this rule.

The way I read the rule: If any part of the number is above an imaginary line drawn under the first letter and the last letter of an arched name the uniform is illegal. The same holds true to an arched name under the number. If any part of the number is below a line drawn at the top of the arched letters the uniform is illegal.

Some officials are penalizing and some are not. Any comments? Are there uniforms in other states that do not comply to this rule?
One of the main problems is a technical foul had to given in the State Finals last year on the big stage in front of everyone. The IHSA caught a lot of heat for this so they are making it a POE of their own and want it called uniformly across the state (sorry for the pun).

Merry Christmas!
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 12:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Illinois enforcing uniform rules? The dickens you say!!!!

I'm sure there is one mechanics nit-picker who is not happy as he is not a nit-picker when it comes to uniform rule enforcement.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead View Post

If it's illegal, penalize and write the report, especially given the new directive.

Perhaps your association could write the schools and the IHSA in regard to the uniform (and not in regard to any spoecific game) and seek clarification.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 02:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Disagree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I honestly do not understand why there are stupid rules like this regarding the uniform. The uniform does not give anyone an advantage or disadvantage, whether the numbers are too big, in the wrong spot, etc.
You've obviously never officiated in a youth, or mens, recreation game where the players are all wearing slightly different "uniforms", often, no more than T-shirts with handwritten numbers on them, or numbers "ironed" into the fabric. Sometimes on the front only, sometimes on the back only. Small numbers. Numbers that don't stand out, colorwise. Nothing quite like asking a six foot, seven inch, 275 pound, ex-football player, who is already upset with the foul that you just called on him, to please turn around so that you can see his number. Thank God the NFHS cares about the uniforms worn in my high school games. It makes my job a lot easier.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 25, 2009, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You've obviously never officiated in a youth, or mens, recreation game where the players are all wearing slightly different "uniforms", often, no more than T-shirts with handwritten numbers on them, or numbers "ironed" into the fabric.
And that's not what this thread is about. It's about interscholastic athletic events sanctioned by a state association. Rec rules are a problem for the recreation dept.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 12:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Exactly ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
And that's not what this thread is about. It's about interscholastic athletic events sanctioned by a state association.
Which is my point exactly. Without the NFHS uniform rules, interscholastic games would be just like recreation league games. There are reasons for uniform rules, one of which is to make numbers on the jerseys easily visible to officials. Sure, some NFHS rules seem to be set up by the "fashion police", but most of these rules are there for a reason, quite often a good reason.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You've obviously never officiated in a youth, or mens, recreation game where the players are all wearing slightly different "uniforms", often, no more than T-shirts with handwritten numbers on them, or numbers "ironed" into the fabric. Sometimes on the front only, sometimes on the back only. Small numbers. Numbers that don't stand out, colorwise. Nothing quite like asking a six foot, seven inch, 275 pound, ex-football player, who is already upset with the foul that you just called on him, to please turn around so that you can see his number. Thank God the NFHS cares about the uniforms worn in my high school games. It makes my job a lot easier.
Uh, yes I do officiate youth basketball games. I understand what you're saying, and I agree. But what I meant strictly was like the size of the numbers, where they are located, etc. As long as there is a number on the front and a number on the back, and either team has distinguishing colors from each other, I'm good. i don't care about logos, names, school names, color designs, etc.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Uh, yes I do officiate youth basketball games. I understand what you're saying, and I agree. But what I meant strictly was like the size of the numbers, where they are located, etc. As long as there is a number on the front and a number on the back, and either team has distinguishing colors from each other, I'm good. i don't care about logos, names, school names, color designs, etc.
You're not getting what BillyMac is telling you.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i don't care about logos, names, school names, color designs, etc.
You would if they didn't have the rules.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 12:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Consider the ten second free throw rule. You rarely see a player even approach ten seconds, even more rarely does a player actually reach ten seconds, and you never see it called (maybe a couple of officials on this board have ever called it). Some might think the rule isn't necessary based on that, but if it was removed, coaches would use free throws for unlimited timeout opportunities.

The same goes for the uniform requirements. Without the standards for number sizes and locations, there would be plenty of scholistic uniforms that were nearly impossible to read and understand. All it would take is some AD somewhere to let her husband in the drama department design their basketball uniforms.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Dude, Dude ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Legal or not? This is an Illinois HS (my alum).

Bloom High School
Dude looks like a lady.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Whether we agree with the uniform rules or not, the school purchased the uniforms. They could just as easily have purchased legal uniforms. But they didn't. A little accountability this season should go a long way toward voluntary compliance next season.