The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2007, 11:06pm
We don't rent pigs

Illegal uniforms

Called two varsity games in a tournament tonight. No matter how obvious something may be, (in retrospect, I think this is obvious) when you see something you have never seen before, it can pass you by. One school, both boys and girls, had jerseys which were a purple color but also had thin white lines crisscrossing over the entire jersey giving the impression that the player was wearing netting over the top of the uniform. The result of this to my eyes took the color from purple to an almost gray color. All night I thought this was somewhat annoying, separating the white from the almost gray. Not until I got home did it dawn on me that this is not only annoying but illegal, is it not?

3-4-6: The torso of the team jersey shall be the same single solid color from the base of the neck to the bottom of the team jersey, and from side insert to side insert.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

I had an odd one tonight in my first game. It was a high school season tip-off tournament and our game featured two schools, neither one was actually "at home". We don't notice anything as they are warming up, but when they introduce the players, the "home" team has on blue uniforms. The coach informs us that the schedule the tournament organizers sent them had their team listed as visitors, so they didn't bring their home uniforms. They did not know they were the home team until they arrived at the site. The other team was also told they were visitors, so they only had their road uniforms. The people at the table acknowledged that the schedule that was sent out was wrong. We decided to let them play without assessing any technical fouls. At least they didn't wear the same colors ("home" was blue and "visitors" were red).

Not a bad game. Red won 39-32 after dominating the 1st and 3rd quarters (up 11-2 in first period, up 19-18 at the half...up 32-20 at the end of the 3rd period). Blue only had 7 players dressed, but only one fouled out. Strange flow to the game as every time it looked like red was putting it away, they turned it over a bunch and blue got back in the game.

One down, 45 more to go!
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 03:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We have a tourney coming up where teams are coming from different parts of the state. We were told last week that these teams should be prepared to be home and visitor at least once each.
Ts will be assessed, otherwise.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 05:32pm
M.A.S.H.

I wish we (Illinois officials) knew what an illegal uniform was...
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 05:35pm
MeRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Called two varsity games in a tournament tonight. No matter how obvious something may be, (in retrospect, I think this is obvious) when you see something you have never seen before, it can pass you by. One school, both boys and girls, had jerseys which were a purple color but also had thin white lines crisscrossing over the entire jersey giving the impression that the player was wearing netting over the top of the uniform. The result of this to my eyes took the color from purple to an almost gray color. All night I thought this was somewhat annoying, separating the white from the almost gray. Not until I got home did it dawn on me that this is not only annoying but illegal, is it not?

3-4-6: The torso of the team jersey shall be the same single solid color from the base of the neck to the bottom of the team jersey, and from side insert to side insert.

You know, as long as I can read the number on the front and back, and distinguish two distinct colors, I don't give a darn what they wear. I am tired of being the fashion police instead of an official. Yes, I will enforce the rule though.....sigh. A dozen fashion questions on the exam this year!!!
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref

I would definately say they were illegal by rule. You should let your assignor know so he/she can call the school and/or state and advise them of the uniforms.

Your in LA right? Was this an LA team?
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I wish we (Illinois officials) knew what an illegal uniform was...
Apparently we don't have to know b/c the IHSA keeps letting us off the hook...maybe they should start putting schools who can't wear the correct color on double secret probation, that'd show em!!
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 04:14pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph2493
I would definately say they were illegal by rule. You should let your assignor know so he/she can call the school and/or state and advise them of the uniforms.

Your in LA right? Was this an LA team?
Yes, I believe it was Montgomery, a class a school near Alexandria.

Lonesome Dove