The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:45pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Question Replacing Injured FT Shooter = Done for game?

CYO Varsity Girls (7th/8th Grade) -- NFHS Rules.

Visiting team had a player get fouled hard and complains her wrist hurts and she can't shoot her free throws. The official tells the visiting coach if she's replaced, she can't re-enter the game at all.

I know if an injured player is judged to have a concussion, her or she can't come back without approval from a DO or MD, but for a non-concussion injury, is the above true, or is it some sort of rule myth?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Myth
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:53pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post

Visiting team had a player get fouled hard and complains her wrist hurts and she can't shoot her free throws. The official tells the visiting coach if she's replacde, she can't re-enter the game at all.

I know if an injured player is judged to have a concussion,t hey can't come back without approval from a MD or DO, but for a non-concussion injury, is the above true, or is it some sort of rule myth?
The official is incorrect.

3-3-6
A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or any other bench personnel is beckoned and/or comes onto the court shall be directed to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by, and granted to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out.

3-3-4
A player who has been replace, or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement.

There is nothing, other than what you noted, that prohibits an injured player from returning and provided the clock has properly started (just like an other player who comes out).
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Visiting team had a player get fouled hard and complains her wrist hurts and she can't shoot her free throws. The official tells the visiting coach if she's replaced, she can't re-enter the game at all.

I know if an injured player is judged to have a concussion, her or she can't come back without approval from a DO or MD, but for a non-concussion injury, is the above true, or is it some sort of rule myth?
Were they playing by NBA rules?

From the NBA rules as posted on-line: NBA.com - Official Rules of the National Basketball Association

Rule 9, Section II-Shooting of Free Throw
a. The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul shall be attempted by the offended player.
EXCEPTIONS:
(1) If the offended player is injured or is ejected from the game and cannot attempt the awarded free throw(s), the opposing coach shall select, from his opponent's bench, the player who will replace the injured player. That player will attempt the free throw(s) and the injured player will not be permitted to re-enter the game. The substitute must remain in the game until the next dead ball.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Did Somebody Say "Myth" ??? Who You Gonna Call ???

Quote:
A player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game, shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his, or her, replacement. In other words, with the very rare exception of a team only having five players eligible to play, a player who has been replaced must sit a tick of the clock, however, a player doesn’t have to play a tick of the clock.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:39pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:

Only if there are millionaires playing the game
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Both situations are wrong.

Player can leave if injured and be able to return at the next dead ball after time has been ticked off the clock. This is regardless of whether or not he/she needs to shoot.

And you're wrong about the concussion thing... nothing in the rulebook says if a player has a concussion he/she can't return without authorization by a DO or MD. That's only if a player becomes unconscious during the ball game.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am surprised no one referenced this.

Quote:
This only applies to an unconscious player, not a player necessarily with a concussion.

Rule 2-8-5 is where you can find this.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Both situations are wrong.

Player can leave if injured and be able to return at the next dead ball after time has been ticked off the clock. This is regardless of whether or not he/she needs to shoot.

And you're wrong about the concussion thing... nothing in the rulebook says if a player has a concussion he/she can't return without authorization by a DO or MD. That's only if a player becomes unconscious during the ball game.
Point of Emphasis for 2006-07
Proper Procedures for Handling Apparent Concussions

ACTION PLAN
If you suspect that a player has a concussion, you should take the following steps:

1. Remove athlete from play.
2. Ensure athlete is evaluated by an appropriate health care professional. Do not try to judge the seriousness of the injury yourself.
3. Inform athlete's parents or guardians about the known or possible concussion and give them the fact sheet on concussion.
4. Allow the athlete to return to play only with permission from an appropriate health care professional.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 10:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

The Action Plan is not a rule it is a guideline for coaches and school personnel to follow. Officials do not get involved in this aspect of this information.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The Action Plan is not a rule it is a guideline for coaches and school personnel to follow. Officials do not get involved in this aspect of this information.
Could you please support that statement with some official documentation?

For the record, concussions were included as the #1 POE in that season. As far as I know POEs are definitely for the officials as well as the school coaches and administrators.

-------------------

2006-07 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. Concussions (See page 71)
2. Uniforms. Last season the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee was concerned with the use of uniforms ...
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

For the record, concussions were included as the #1 POE in that season. As far as I know POEs are definitely for the officials as well as the school coaches and administrators.

-------------------

2. Uniforms. Last season the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee was concerned with the use of uniforms ...
I will support it from a common sense point of view and words stated by our interpreters. There is nothing as officials we do to tell or diagnose a concussion. For the record this was mentioned in just about all the major NF sports with the same information that very same year. It was made clear to us that this was about the coaches and the schools and training staffs, not the officials. Officials do not tell someone they have a concussion and not allow players to play as a result. Even in #4 of the Action Plan, there is nothing that says this has to be verified by us as officials. And unless you have shown something, there are no rules referenced in that POE. So these are at best guidelines, not rules.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

-------------------

2006-2007 was 3 years ago. If it was still a major concern, then why isn't it in the rulebook? As far as I'm concerned, I am to not care about concussions. I know they are bad, I had a major concussion 2 years ago, but the rulebook does not say anything about concussions. If I suspect someone may have had a concussion, I'll might mention it to the coach and ask him/her to send the player to the trainer to be evaluated before playing again. But it is not my job to diagnose a concussion.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
2006-2007 was 3 years ago. If it was still a major concern, then why isn't it in the rulebook? As far as I'm concerned, I am to not care about concussions. I know they are bad, I had a major concussion 2 years ago, but the rulebook does not say anything about concussions anymore, thus if I suspected someone may have had a concussion, I'll just mention it to the coach and ask him/her to send the player to the trainer to be evaluated before playing again.
Because they were never rules. They were things to help coaches, players and trainers identify concussions and what they should do in the case they think a player has received one.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Because they were never rules. They were things to help coaches, players and trainers identify concussions and what they should do in the case they think a player has received one.

Peace
That helps to prove my point. Thanks