The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Injured Shooter?

Airborn A1 is fouled as she attempts a lay-up, lead whistles a foul. A1 falls to the court on her back, obviously injured and in pain.

Coach asks the trail (me) official, "May I check on my player?" Trail replies "yes, coach." At about this time, the Lead asks A1, "are you OK?" and the player responds that "I think so." Of course, I don't know this as there are a crowd of players between the player and me and there's no way I'm telling a coach that she cannot check on her player!

A1 stands and appears ready for play as her coach approaches, well onto the court. The coach says something to her, then turns and walks back to her bench. As I see that A1 does not appear to be leaving and before I can say something to A's coach, B's head coach "reminds" me that A1 must come out of the game if the coach came out.

I tell the coach that A1 must come out, since the coach had come out onto the floor. She protests a bit, then says "well I can choose my shooter, right?" My partner and I inform her that, no, sub A6 will shoot two shots. Coach is not happy.

So, during the next deadball, my partner informs me that I was wrong to make A1 leave the game "since she was the shooter and has to attempt the free throws." After the game, after "we" looked up the proper administration for an Intentional Personal foul (ball at spot of foul, not at division line... she didn't believe me the ball should have been put into play at spot of foul) "we" looked up the substitution rules for an injured player. There is no exception for an injured player about to attempt free throws.

So... is it just common practice to not force a player about to attempt FTs to leave, EVEN IF the coach comes onto the floor? My partner stands by her opinion, even though we did force A1 out and replacement A6 did attempt the shots. I do give her a bit of credit for not undermining me by overruling me infront of the coach.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Your partner is wrong.

DESIGNATED FREE THROWER
8.2 COMMENT: When A1 is designated to attempt a free throw(s), no other player shall be permitted to make the attempt unless A1 is injured or disqualified prior to the attempt. If the wrong player attempts the free throw, it may be corrected as prescribed in 2-10. In certain situations, the attempt by the wrong player may be due to a justifiable misunderstanding. In such case, there should be no penalty. But, if it is a situation in which it is reasonable to expect the player to know that he/she is not the proper one to attempt the free throw, a technical foul for unsporting conduct shall be called. In this situation, the proper player is entitled to his/her free throw(s) which will be followed by the administration of the technical foul. (10-3-7f)
8.2 SITUATION: A1 is unable to attempt either of the two free throws awarded because A1 was injured during the play. A6 enters, replaces A1 and attempts the first free throw. A7 reports and enters to replace A6. RULING: A7 must return to the bench and A6 remains in the game to attempt the second free throw. Since A6 replaced A1, A6 must shoot both free throws, unless A6 is injured or disqualified before attempting the second free throw. If this situation involved technical foul free throws, A7 would be allowed to enter and attempt the second free throw. (8-3)
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

My partner and I both agreed that the sub would have to shoot. We just disagreed that the sub was required to replace A1. Because the coach did not want to remove her injured player, should we have offered to let her take a time-out? Or just assume that if the coach wants to take the TO to allowe rher player to stay in, she'll ask for it of her own volition?
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya
My partner and I both agreed that the sub would have to shoot. We just disagreed that the sub was required to replace A1. Because the coach did not want to remove her injured player, should we have offered to let her take a time-out? Or just assume that if the coach wants to take the TO to allowe rher player to stay in, she'll ask for it of her own volition?
You could tell the coach the options. That's up to you.

Here is a clear case play which states that either a time-out or a sub was required in your situation and that your partner's opinion is dead wrong.

3.3.5 SITUATION B: A1 appears to be injured and an official properly halts play and the Team A coach rushes onto the court to check A1. However, A1 is OK and seems ready to play within a few seconds. RULING: A1 must be removed as the coach came onto the court. A1 may remain in the game if the coach does not come on the court and A1 is ready to play immediately. If the coach or other bench personnel have come onto the court, the player must be replaced. There is no set amount of time as to what is “immediately,” but it should not involve more than a few seconds and it must be without the coach, trainer or doctor being beckoned and/or entering the court. The coach may also call a time-out to keep the player in the game. (10-4-2)
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with you 100%. We looked at that case. My partner claimed that 3.3.5sitB was not specific enough since A1 was not a fouled/injured player about to shoot FTs. I know of know exception to that rule, but hey I'm new.