The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Those mean, mean officials!

So last week Creighton played at George Mason. Creighton got called for a block on a close block/charge play late in the game, and Dana Altman got whacked shortly thereafter. GM hits the free throws and Creighton ends up losing by three.

Of course, those in the media like Gary Parrish have this to say:

Quote:
Final thought: The weekend's terrible officiating award goes to Brad Gaston.

You won't believe what this dude did.
Actually Altman is the one who "did" it. Gaston just took care of business.

Creighton was up 72-70 on Saturday at George Mason when Justin Carter was called for a block with 18 seconds remaining. Like any coach would, Dana Altman protested the block/charge call, at which point Gaston hit Altman with a technical foul. So George Mason got two technical free throws, and Luke Hancock made them both. Then Cam Long, who was fouled on the play, hit one of two free throws to give George Mason a 73-72 lead.

Creighton, clearly rattled, turned the ball over on the ensuing possession.

George Mason turned that turnover into a Hancock dunk.

Then Carter missed a 3-point attempt at the buzzer.

So the Patriots escaped with a 75-72 victory.

Because of a technical called on Altman.

Now I can't be certain what Altman said or didn't say -- for what it's worth, Altman swears he didn't use profanity -- but to me, that's irrelevant. Unless Altman physically assaulted Gaston (and he didn't), no official should issue a technical at such a key moment so late in any game, especially to Altman, who is far from a maniac like Seton Hall's Bobby Gonzalez. Actually Altman isn't the saint that Parrish portrays him as. Either way, Parrish is right, he can't be certain what Altman did or didn't say, so why does he think he knows if a T was right or not?

Altman is respected in this sport, and he had not received a technical since 2007. So?? So why Gaston decided he needed one with 18 seconds left in a one-possession game is something the world might never understand, He earned it?? and here's the worst part: The crew -- Gaston, John Moore and Dan Daily -- was assigned to this BracketBusters rematch by the Missouri Valley Conference, meaning Altman got screwed by his own officials. His own officials? Are they supposed to be "nicer" to him because they work in the Valley?

Terrible.

Just terrible.
Or, it's terrible that a coach does something so stupid that cost his team a game.
I know, I know....the media is clueless. This kind of stuff just pisses me off though.

Monday Look Back: Xavier, Temple, URI give A-10 good name - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Accountability is always transferred to those without a voice. Cover Your A$$ 101
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
Accountability is always transferred to those without a voice. Cover Your A$$ 101
I like that.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

This was just sent to Mr. Parrish... I am much like the OP, I know they are clueless but my blood boils when people spout off as experts regarding stuff they know nothing about. Sorry but I could not help myself!!!

You get the Irresponsible Journalist Award for the week (and the competition is stiff these days). Congratulations!!! Just because the game is near the end and tight does not give the coach license to run his mouth, be unsporting and berate an official. The coach cost his team a chance to win, not the T administered by the official. This is the kind of drivel that people read and then think it is socially acceptable to behave in unsporting ways because the game is close. Get real. How are you qualified to assess an official's body of work? Is it because of your vast knowledge of officiating rules and philosophy that you have attained over the years spending thousands of dollars of your own money and months at a time in the offseason at training clinics? Is it the hours you have spent reading over the Rule book and CCA Manual each year (bet you don't even know what "CCA" is without Google)? Is it the hours you've spent studying case plays and discussing various plays over the years with your officiating supervisors and colleagues? Please enlighten me on your qualifications to judge the quality of officiating? I will not hold my breath for a response as I know you have none of the above... nor do you have the capacity to formulate a reasonable response based on the elementary school writing I have experienced in your other articles. Stick to writing aboout what you do know about... I am not sure what that is, but it isn't officiating.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This was just sent to Mr. Parrish... I am much like the OP, I know they are clueless but my blood boils when people spout off as experts regarding stuff they know nothing about. Sorry but I could not help myself!!!

You get the Irresponsible Journalist Award for the week (and the competition is stiff these days). Congratulations!!! Just because the game is near the end and tight does not give the coach license to run his mouth, be unsporting and berate an official. The coach cost his team a chance to win, not the T administered by the official. This is the kind of drivel that people read and then think it is socially acceptable to behave in unsporting ways because the game is close. Get real. How are you qualified to assess an official's body of work? Is it because of your vast knowledge of officiating rules and philosophy that you have attained over the years spending thousands of dollars of your own money and months at a time in the offseason at training clinics? Is it the hours you have spent reading over the Rule book and CCA Manual each year (bet you don't even know what "CCA" is without Google)? Is it the hours you've spent studying case plays and discussing various plays over the years with your officiating supervisors and colleagues? Please enlighten me on your qualifications to judge the quality of officiating? I will not hold my breath for a response as I know you have none of the above... nor do you have the capacity to formulate a reasonable response based on the elementary school writing I have experienced in your other articles. Stick to writing aboout what you do know about... I am not sure what that is, but it isn't officiating.
Well put- keep us posted if he writes back.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 11:09am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Stick to writing aboout what you do know about... I am not sure what that is, but it isn't officiating.
I like this.

Good note, I'm curious to hear how he will respond, if he does that is.

The "you can't make that call at this stage of the game" argument is tired, especially when you combine that with the cries of "be consistent".
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I like this.

Good note, I'm curious to hear how he will respond, if he does that is.

The "you can't make that call at this stage of the game" argument is tired, especially when you combine that with the cries of "be consistent".
So true, what a double standard!!!

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 12:30pm
MABO Member

I agree, the "let the players decide the game" statement was made to me last weekend at a JV tourney. This after calling this coaches player for diving on top of an opponent who had secured a loose ball.

Next game I get in the tourney was as a replacement for another ref (I was an emerg call in) and its this same team. Very well played game and it came down to a tie at the end of the game. Player steals the ball and is going in for a lay up. I am trail and my partner is right up ahead as lead and has a great view of the play. He has a patient whistle to allow the girl to make her lay up attempt. Clank hard off the board and front of the rim and out. Ohhh here come OT. BUt no, a late whistle and my partner comes up to me and says, I have to make this call she grabbed her from behind. I said great go ahead and report it.

Player hits the second of 2 shots and its game over. Coach comes up to me after and says sorry about his earlier comments. Bet hes glad we didn't let the players decide that game. (even though they did!)

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
... or with direction from the NCAA to make that call.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Huh? Part of the OP's argument against Parrish is that he (Parrish) had no knowledge of what Altman actually said to Gaston. Yet the OP asserts that Altman "earned" the T. Was the OP within earshoot of this particular conversation? Let's be consistent. All the other stuff I agree with.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnier View Post
Huh? Part of the OP's argument against Parrish is that he (Parrish) had no knowledge of what Altman actually said to Gaston. Yet the OP asserts that Altman "earned" the T. Was the OP within earshoot of this particular conversation? Let's be consistent. All the other stuff I agree with.
Trust me. If you're playing a D-I game, it's in the last 30 seconds, the score is close and you get T'd up, you deserved it.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellnier View Post
Seriously??? The author of the article has no clue about officiating. The OP and almost everyone else on here has a clue. What the OP is saying is that he is giving Gaston the benefit of the doubt as we as officials know that we take the issuance of such a penalty seriously (especially in game sitch as described) and don't just hand them out. Officials spend way to much time, money and effort in getting the big games that they aren't going to pi$$ that away giving a soft tech in a game deciding moment. I happen to know two of the three members on this crew personally, Gaston being one of the two and I know he conducted himself professionally, and within the spirit of the game. I can promise you that if the coach would have listened to the crew/ Gaston and let his complaint go when he was told that that was enough he would not have "earned" his T. Instead he opted to keep on with it and got burned.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
...a late whistle and my partner comes up to me and says, I have to make this call she grabbed her from behind. I said great go ahead and report it.
Just a quick comment.

I see this as a weak action by your partner. Not the call, but having to "come up to" you and explain why he/she made the call.

Maybe your partner just said it in passing...but, if he/she has the call then be strong and go report it. Your partner didn't need your permission and I can just visualize him/her waffling if he/she had to discuss it with you before reporting.

JMO...but, if an official looks strong and confident on the court...it can alleviate some of the coaches whining and complaining...not always, but generally.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 02:37pm.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Trust me. If you're playing a D-I game, it's in the last 30 seconds, the score is close and you get T'd up, you deserved it.
Fiasco says it much more concisely! LOL

Also, does anyone else find Mr. Parrish's sentence "Altman swears that he didn't use profanity" humorous??!!
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Seriously??? The author of the article has no clue about officiating. The OP and almost everyone else on here has a clue. What the OP is saying is that he is giving Gaston the benefit of the doubt as we as officials know that we take the issuance of such a penalty seriously (especially in game sitch as described) and don't just hand them out. Officials spend way to much time, money and effort in getting the big games that they aren't going to pi$$ that away giving a soft tech in a game deciding moment. I happen to know two of the three members on this crew personally, Gaston being one of the two and I know he conducted himself professionally, and within the spirit of the game. I can promise you that if the coach would have listened to the crew/ Gaston and let his complaint go when he was told that that was enough he would not have "earned" his T. Instead he opted to keep on with it and got burned.

Agreed, officials at this level know how to manage a game and I'm confident without knowing any particulars, Altman deserved it.