View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Those mean, mean officials!

So last week Creighton played at George Mason. Creighton got called for a block on a close block/charge play late in the game, and Dana Altman got whacked shortly thereafter. GM hits the free throws and Creighton ends up losing by three.

Of course, those in the media like Gary Parrish have this to say:

Quote:
Final thought: The weekend's terrible officiating award goes to Brad Gaston.

You won't believe what this dude did.
Actually Altman is the one who "did" it. Gaston just took care of business.

Creighton was up 72-70 on Saturday at George Mason when Justin Carter was called for a block with 18 seconds remaining. Like any coach would, Dana Altman protested the block/charge call, at which point Gaston hit Altman with a technical foul. So George Mason got two technical free throws, and Luke Hancock made them both. Then Cam Long, who was fouled on the play, hit one of two free throws to give George Mason a 73-72 lead.

Creighton, clearly rattled, turned the ball over on the ensuing possession.

George Mason turned that turnover into a Hancock dunk.

Then Carter missed a 3-point attempt at the buzzer.

So the Patriots escaped with a 75-72 victory.

Because of a technical called on Altman.

Now I can't be certain what Altman said or didn't say -- for what it's worth, Altman swears he didn't use profanity -- but to me, that's irrelevant. Unless Altman physically assaulted Gaston (and he didn't), no official should issue a technical at such a key moment so late in any game, especially to Altman, who is far from a maniac like Seton Hall's Bobby Gonzalez. Actually Altman isn't the saint that Parrish portrays him as. Either way, Parrish is right, he can't be certain what Altman did or didn't say, so why does he think he knows if a T was right or not?

Altman is respected in this sport, and he had not received a technical since 2007. So?? So why Gaston decided he needed one with 18 seconds left in a one-possession game is something the world might never understand, He earned it?? and here's the worst part: The crew -- Gaston, John Moore and Dan Daily -- was assigned to this BracketBusters rematch by the Missouri Valley Conference, meaning Altman got screwed by his own officials. His own officials? Are they supposed to be "nicer" to him because they work in the Valley?

Terrible.

Just terrible.
Or, it's terrible that a coach does something so stupid that cost his team a game.
I know, I know....the media is clueless. This kind of stuff just pisses me off though.

Monday Look Back: Xavier, Temple, URI give A-10 good name - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com