The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Members of the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee, NCAA staff, the regional advisors and I are constantly monitoring games and noting the names of officials who refuse
to address or penalize unacceptable side line behavior.
Oh no! Not double secret probation!
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

It's always the late game T...

I can't comment on the TF being warranted or not because I don't have the facts.

The facts I do have is that Creighton committed 16 turnovers and 26 fouls which I guess doesn't have an affect on their ability to score points!?!?

So, obviously, the TF had to decide the game because they otherwise played a perfect game!
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 01:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Adams can pontificate all he wants, but reality is something entirely other.

I'm being squeezed out of a conference (it seems) because I took care of some egregious behavior. I called a late game technical last season when a coach refused to give me a substitute after a disqualifying foul, even after we had a second horn. While I can't be certain this is why I'm getting the squeeze, it's the only possible thing I can point to from last season.

So people have a choice to make. They can work their 120 game regular season schedules (like Steve Welmer) or they can sit home during non-conference stuff and potentially even conference stuff (since the commissioners may not use you anymore if you TCB and the coach whines enough).

If the NCAA took over the assigning, then Adams could talk as though he has some actual authority or control over the regular season. Till then, he can only withhold tournament assignments.

You can believe me when I tell you that you are preaching to the choir. I am no longer working any NCAA ball due to the fact that I did TCB in a game last year. (Team did not have roster/starters turned in to the scorer by 10 min. At 12 min, I personally went and pounded on their locker room door and told the coach it needed to be turned in. Coach said it would be turned in when it was turned in, which ended up being with less than 1 min. on the clock. So we started the game with the T) The supervisor then called me and reamed me for it, and demanded that I call my partners and tell them that "I f@cked up". I refused to do that, and so I am no longer on that supervisor's roster.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 02:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You can believe me when I tell you that you are preaching to the choir. I am no longer working any NCAA ball due to the fact that I did TCB in a game last year. (Team did not have roster/starters turned in to the scorer by 10 min. At 12 min, I personally went and pounded on their locker room door and told the coach it needed to be turned in. Coach said it would be turned in when it was turned in, which ended up being with less than 1 min. on the clock. So we started the game with the T) The supervisor then called me and reamed me for it, and demanded that I call my partners and tell them that "I f@cked up". I refused to do that, and so I am no longer on that supervisor's roster.
Wow. Just wow. The NCAA powers to be should hear that story. Like it would matter.

In the end, I'm OK with everything I did, too. I may not work that particular conference, but I've picked up 3 more in my efforts to replace those dates and I may be better off in the long run.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 02:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Wow. Just wow. The NCAA powers to be should hear that story. Like it would matter.

In the end, I'm OK with everything I did, too. I may not work that particular conference, but I've picked up 3 more in my efforts to replace those dates and I may be better off in the long run.
That's the right attitude to have and I commend you for it. Wish I could say that I was in the same place as you! Maybe in time...
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 02:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
That's the right attitude to have and I commend you for it. Wish I could say that I was in the same place as you! Maybe in time...
Oh, I'm still angry, mainly because nobody has the balls to say exactly why I am not being scheduled. But life has to go on, so I'm working at getting the number of dates I want without those games.

In other words, I understand why the D-1 big-time guys don't whack people that deserve it at times. No good deed (it seems) goes unpunished.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 02:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So, in this conversation did your supervisor come right out and say that you should have not enforced the rule? Is he on the record with that?
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 02:36pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So, in this conversation did your supervisor come right out and say that you should have not enforced the rule? Is he on the record with that?
Yes...and then told others they better not f@ck it up like I did.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 02:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Wow, that's amazing. I had a JuCo supervisor who dinged my Crew Chief b/c he did not check the book until the 7:00 mark.
Did your supervisor also say not to assess administrative T's for any bookkeeping infractions?

I remember a few years ago an ACC ref got "suspended" (or whatever the punishment was) when he called a 'T' on NC State in the ACC tourney for violating 10-2 art. 5c "After a team warning has been issued, failure to have the court ready for play after the final horn to end any timeout." after several incidents of spilling water on the court during times-out.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Dec 17, 2009 at 02:59pm.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Pretty stupid. That supervisor does not deserve to have you on his roster and the schools and players are losing out.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
JMO...but, if an official looks strong and confident on the court...it can alleviate some of the coaches whining and complaining...not always, but generally.
Only with a weak coach.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 03:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Only with a weak coach.
Or just a smart one, who realizes he's not going to be able to manipulate the officials so he focusses on more reasonable endeavors.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Or just a smart one, who realizes he's not going to be able to manipulate the officials so he focusses on more reasonable endeavors.
Yep, you're correct. However, strong and confident quickly becomes "unapproachable and arrogant" should the film show poor judgment. That precipitates a lot of bad situations.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Yep, you're correct. However, strong and confident quickly becomes "unapproachable and arrogant" should the film show poor judgment. That precipitates a lot of bad situations.
So which is it...a weak coach (as you said) or a smart coach (as snaqs said) and you agreed?

...and how did strong and confident get to unapproachable and arrogant?
Richland, WA
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At least you can't be called a coward!

A certain poster has newfound respect for you.