The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Question Scorers' Table Setup

Probably not the thing everyone thinks of, but how should the table be set up for games?

During the Varsity games at my alma mater the 2 scorebooks are on the end next to the home bench (V Scorebook then H Scorebook). The Scoreboard/Timer right next to them in the middle with the Shot Clock Operator next to V bench.

Am asking everyone's opinion as most setups I have seen have the scorebooks next to their benches with the scoreboard/timer & shot clock in the center.

Am just wondering what everyone's opinion is on this, as am thinking of possibly doing like Varsity does & moving the scorebooks together for JV & C-Squad games.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

I don't care what end either scorebook is on. As long as the official book and scorer and timer are at the table, we're good to go. Visiting team's book can be there too, and often it's good practice to confirm fouls and the running score, but in the grand scheme, I don't care if they're at the table. As far as the shot clock, we don't use one in Texas, but I'd have the same attitude as that with the timer.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

I prefer to have the V and H book sit together so they can double-check each other.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Anyone read 2-1-3?

The official scorer and official timer are recommended to be seated next to each other. There is no guidance on the placement of the unofficial members at the table.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Who cares where they sit? A recommendation is not a requirement. As long as there's a home book and a clock, let's play.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 08:50am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I prefer to have the V and H book sit together so they can double-check each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Who cares where they sit?
Personally, I care where they sit. I've seen several incidents that could have been avoided if they were co-located next to each other and not on either side of the clock operator.

I like to approach the table and look em both in the eye and ask if everything is ok and if their books agree? Works for me.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Personally, I care where they sit. I've seen several incidents that could have been avoided if they were co-located next to each other and not on either side of the clock operator.

I like to approach the table and look em both in the eye and ask if everything is ok and if their books agree? Works for me.
And if there is only one person keeping a scorebook for the game does the game always have an incident?
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who cares where they sit? A recommendation is not a requirement. As long as there's a home book and a clock, let's play.
I happen to care where they sit. If at all possible, I want the official scorer next to the official timer. Then I want the visitor book next to the official scorer. In my opinion, it significantly decreases the chances of errors/discrepancies between the books.

I don't get worked up about it at sub-V games, but if I'm the R on V games I always ask them to do it this way. If nothing else, this request lets them know I'm serious about them doing a good job and expect them to communicate with each other throughout the game.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 09:01am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
And if there is only one person keeping a scorebook for the game does the game always have an incident?
Always? No.

I have seen, meaning not necessarily in a game I've officiated, several occasions where "young" scorekeepers have disagreed in the number of points and fouls and created confusion and issues.

I was keeping the clock once for a JV game and had a very experienced scorebook person for H. Everytime something happened she would say it and repeat it out loud - "Foul, red, two - his first, team's third." "Timeout blue coach, their second, at 4:37." I found this really interesting and useful.

Sometimes having only one book is a good thing too.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
If at all possible, I want the official scorer next to the official timer.
In a varsity game, have you ever noticed that the official scorer did not sit next to the official timer? Have you ever had to jump in there and move people around to make this happen?

As far as the visiting scorekeeper, if they want to sit closer to their bench and that happens to not be next to the home scorekeeper, that's fine with me.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Always? No.

I have seen, meaning not necessarily in a game I've officiated, several occasions where "young" scorekeepers have disagreed in the number of points and fouls and created confusion and issues.

I was keeping the clock once for a JV game and had a very experienced scorebook person for H. Everytime something happened she would say it and repeat it out loud - "Foul, red, two - his first, team's third." "Timeout blue coach, their second, at 4:37." I found this really interesting and useful.

Sometimes having only one book is a good thing too.
My point was that only a single scorer is now required by the rules. You can't force there to be more than one. You also don't have any say in where these people sit. That is totally up to game management and the teams.

Therefore, accept that mistakes may happen and deal with them according to the rules. If something unfortunate happens to one of the teams because they either don't provide a scorer or don't have that person sit where he/she can compare records with the other scorer, then that is their fault. The game officials cannot worry about things beyond their control.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 09:18am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
My point was that only a single scorer is now required by the rules. You can't force there to be more than one. You also don't have any say in where these people sit. That is totally up to game management and the teams.

Therefore, accept that mistakes may happen and deal with them according to the rules. If something unfortunate happens to one of the teams because they either don't provide a scorer or don't have that person sit where he/she can compare records with the other scorer, then that is their fault. The game officials cannot worry about things beyond their control.
I understand only one scorer is required, but if they have two, so be it.

I don't "force" them to move - I say, "I would appreciate if you two would sit next to each other," and explain why.

I don't consider asking the two scorers to sit next to each other politely as being "beyond my control." We are all one team. I have never had anyone say no yet.

And yes, I do accept mistakes can and will happen.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In a varsity game, have you ever noticed that the official scorer did not sit next to the official timer? Have you ever had to jump in there and move people around to make this happen?

As far as the visiting scorekeeper, if they want to sit closer to their bench and that happens to not be next to the home scorekeeper, that's fine with me.
The scorer almost always sits by the timer. But I prefer for the books to also sit next to each other and ask them to do so if the table setup allows it.

And before Nevada steps in and tells me I have no authority to make them do so, I understand that. But I ask them to and explain my reason. It's worked very well for me so far.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
The scorer almost always sits by the timer. But I prefer for the books to also sit next to each other and ask them to do so if the table setup allows it.

And before Nevada steps in and tells me I have no authority to make them do so, I understand that. But I ask them to and explain my reason. It's worked very well for me so far.
Okay, good for you. I just hope that you don't run into an upset AD who comes over and asks why you are asking the table personnel to move around instead of sitting in the place which he/she designated for each of them.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Back when it was my job, I used to also supply copies of "instructions for scorers" and "instructions for timers" in sheet protectors at the table. I had a simplified version of the instructions that I culled from the "full" versions....