View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Always? No.

I have seen, meaning not necessarily in a game I've officiated, several occasions where "young" scorekeepers have disagreed in the number of points and fouls and created confusion and issues.

I was keeping the clock once for a JV game and had a very experienced scorebook person for H. Everytime something happened she would say it and repeat it out loud - "Foul, red, two - his first, team's third." "Timeout blue coach, their second, at 4:37." I found this really interesting and useful.

Sometimes having only one book is a good thing too.
My point was that only a single scorer is now required by the rules. You can't force there to be more than one. You also don't have any say in where these people sit. That is totally up to game management and the teams.

Therefore, accept that mistakes may happen and deal with them according to the rules. If something unfortunate happens to one of the teams because they either don't provide a scorer or don't have that person sit where he/she can compare records with the other scorer, then that is their fault. The game officials cannot worry about things beyond their control.