The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I attended my sons recreation basketball game and was stunned to see only one ref had showed up and so the one person keeping the scorebook and the Clock was also calling fouls, called 4 fouls the whole game. Including a foul that decided the game in double overtime. Has anyone ever seen this before and is there a rule for or against this?
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

You're talking about recreation basketball here so "league rules" apply (and in many cases, that may mean that they do their best with what they have to work with).

By high school rules, you need two or three refs so applying "real rules" to this situation doesn't wash. Sounds like the people there did the best they could under the circumstances.

IMHO, you should be appreciative that the scorer was willing to help out.

Z
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Well I did appreciate his willingness to ref, except he is the father of one of the boys on the other team. I have been a ref for 10+ years, (just recreation)and I have always consulted this site with questions. I would have been glad to ref this game but because my son was on the team, I thought it was not a good idea. The score keeper knew I was able to officate, but did not ask for my assistance. This league tries to play specifically by High School rules, because these kids are all in High School.
On one hand my son's team should have been blown out by the other team, but the fact that they scrapped and made a game of it kind of made my upset to lose on what I considered a bogus call by someone who just wanted to go home.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I have composed and recomposed this reply several times and I still can’t get my blood pressure to go back down. This is not going to be the answer that you are looking for.

Who is running this rec league, Mickey Mouse?

Why is one person doing the clock and the book? Each team should have to supply a parent to do either. Why did no one step forward to take over the duties so this man could get out on the court?

At the HS level you must have competent refs doing the games, even if they are just rec house refs. Was this a house-supplied ref or was it an association/board-supplied ref? In either case if he is competent he should be able to do a one-man game.

Then there is the case of you not doing the game. Unless the other ref is an association supplied ref there is no excuse for you not to have gone out to help him. This is a “REC GAME in a REC LEAGUE”, nothing more. It does not mean squat in the scheme of things. You walk out on the court and announce that Billy over there is your son. That you are going to help do the game for the safety of the kids. It is up to your integrity to call the game fairly.

For someone who has been deeply involved in running a rec league for many a year, 12 to be exact, this is a pitiful situation.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
I have composed and recomposed this reply several times and I still can’t get my blood pressure to go back down. This is not going to be the answer that you are looking for.

Who is running this rec league, Mickey Mouse?

Why is one person doing the clock and the book? Each team should have to supply a parent to do either. Why did no one step forward to take over the duties so this man could get out on the court?

At the HS level you must have competent refs doing the games, even if they are just rec house refs. Was this a house-supplied ref or was it an association/board-supplied ref? In either case if he is competent he should be able to do a one-man game.

Then there is the case of you not doing the game. Unless the other ref is an association supplied ref there is no excuse for you not to have gone out to help him. This is a “REC GAME in a REC LEAGUE”, nothing more. It does not mean squat in the scheme of things. You walk out on the court and announce that Billy over there is your son. That you are going to help do the game for the safety of the kids. It is up to your integrity to call the game fairly.

For someone who has been deeply involved in running a rec league for many a year, 12 to be exact, this is a pitiful situation.
Hey recref, I have to admit when I first read the original post I sorta smiled & shook my head...then I read your post. Nice to see there's passion for the game at all levels. Keep it up!
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Not exactly on topic, but I have a similar, funny story. Boys HS Varsity game Tuesday. At the beginning of the 2nd half V prepared to inbound the ball, BUT, they lined up on the wrong end, hoping to catch H off-guard, and grab an easy bucket. Initially, H fell for it, until the scoreboard operator buzzed in to tell the teams they were lined up on the wrong ends! Scoreboard operator had no idea what the V team was trying to do - thought he was helping everyone out.

- Catherine Aird