The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 05:33pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
When I ask about agreement on the score, I am asking about the official timer and official scorer. The scorer is usually on one side of the timer and the other book is usually on the other side. I am not a wedding planner. I am not making tent signs showing who is to sit where. As long as there is an 'X', an official timer with a working clock, an official scorer with both lineups and team rosters in the official book, I'm happy. This is a mountain out of a mole hill situation as I see it.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
When I ask about agreement on the score, I am asking about the official timer and official scorer. The scorer is usually on one side of the timer and the other book is usually on the other side. I am not a wedding planner. I am not making tent signs showing who is to sit where. As long as there is an 'X', an official timer with a working clock, an official scorer with both lineups and team rosters in the official book, I'm happy. This is a mountain out of a mole hill situation as I see it.
Unfortunately not all floors have the "X".

I started this topic as I was curious as to from a floor official's POV, how should the table be setup. It's common place for the Official scorer & timer to be side-by-side.

I am just trying to come up with the most optimized setup, so that both books will do their duties as they should. I'm getting a bit tired of having to police the books during the JV & C-sqaud games for inaccurate reporting due to inattentiveness.

I realize this is actually up to the coaches & game management, however in the lower level games the regulations are a bit laxed as to the scorer's duties & reponsibilities.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
The one big problem, however is when those doing books are high school students & the only person they'll listen to is the coach. Unfortunately at the same time, those same HS students doing book, have either a cell phone glued to their hand or friends sitting with them.
In NV the timer and scorer for all HS games are required to be adults.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In NV the timer and scorer for all HS games are required to be adults.
I wish that was the case here in Washington, in some districts or leagues it might be that way, but I haven't seen that implemented in my area of the state.

For Varsity contests, generally the school(s) have personnel that do scorebook all the time. Unfortunately for JV & C-Squad, the case doesn't apply. The coach can just grab someone & say you're doing book whether or not they have experience.

Again, I apologize for not having the direct rules quotation in front of me, but it is my understanding that for any contest that those in the capacity of official scorer & timer must be adults, separated from high school a minimum of at least 2-3 years.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately not all floors have the "X".
Then the game administration should be creating one with tape prior to the contest. It is a required floor marking in the rules no different than the FT line at each end of the court.

RULE 1, SECTION 17 “X” LOCATES SCORER
An “X” 12 inches long and 2 inches wide shall be placed on the floor out of
bounds directly in front of the official scorer to help substitutes with the proper location.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then the game administration should be creating one with tape prior to the contest. It is a required floor marking in the rules no different than the FT line at each end of the court.

RULE 1, SECTION 17 “X” LOCATES SCORER
An “X” 12 inches long and 2 inches wide shall be placed on the floor out of
bounds directly in front of the official scorer to help substitutes with the proper location.
Odd as I had never seen the "X" in use at my alma mater & hadn't heard of if being mandatory until now.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Odd as I had never seen the "X" in use at my alma mater & hadn't heard of if being mandatory until now.
Probably before your time. It was a rule change back in the 2001-02 season.

Comments on the 2001-02 rules revisions

"X" locates scorer (1-17): Rather than a recommendation, the rule now requires an "X" on the floor in front of the scorer. For 2001-02, when an "X" might not be possible to be painted, tape may be used. Home or game management is to ensure the "X" exists prior to competition.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Probably before your time. It was a rule change back in the 2001-02 season.

Comments on the 2001-02 rules revisions

"X" locates scorer (1-17): Rather than a recommendation, the rule now requires an "X" on the floor in front of the scorer. For 2001-02, when an "X" might not be possible to be painted, tape may be used. Home or game management is to ensure the "X" exists prior to competition.
I've been doing scoreboard/timer & shot clock since 2005, & I don't remember even an "X" being marked last year during 4A Regionals. When I was Boys' Basketball Manager from 1997-1999, I never saw any school having the marking.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 01:56am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I've been doing scoreboard/timer & shot clock since 2005, & I don't remember even an "X" being marked last year during 4A Regionals. When I was Boys' Basketball Manager from 1997-1999, I never saw any school having the marking.

Do you think it's possible that you just don't remember?

Do you think it's possible that you just didn't notice?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Do you think it's possible that you just don't remember?

Do you think it's possible that you just didn't notice?
When I was Boys' Basketball Manager, I wasn't such a scrooge concerning the rules/regulations. So perhaps I might of seen the marking, but didn't think anything of it. When I was doing scorebook back then for C-Squad & JV, nothing really was explained to me except for what needed to be marked in the book.

When I did 4A Regionals last February, I did do floor checks between games, as well as floor sweeps.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How did you find where you were supposed to sit without the X?
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How did you find where you were supposed to sit without the X?
When I was Boys' Manager, I just sat right next to the bench when I was doing scorebook. For the 4A Regionals, the home book was the official book, so they just sat next to the home bench next to the official timer.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am just trying to come up with the most optimized setup, so that both books will do their duties as they should.
Put the scorer by the X (or at the center of the table). On one side have the timer, and then the shot-clock operator. On the other side have the other scorer.

If you have different roles, adjust accordingly.

If you can't get it that way, don't worry about it.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 06:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Which Fork Do I Use First ???

Quote:
How should the table be set up?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In case of your table setup, for the forks, you'd work from the outside in LMAO