The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I don't think any of that has anything to do with it. Many times, if I'm familiar with a face at the table, I'm going to be drawn more toward that face. For example, the timer this past Friday night has been at the table for years. I did not know either scorer. So naturally, my gaze would catch the timer most times. But then I would pick up the scorer.
So timely. Just last week I had a game where the home/official bookkeeper was seemingly inexperienced. She was tentative and not very communicative. I tried to engage/entertain all at the table as part of my pregame (which I strongly encourage).

As the game progressed, I found myself looking to the visitor bookkeeper, who regularly made eye contact and could predict what I was going to ask (correct arrow at quarter, impending bonus, how many time outs).

As the game winded down, my partner reported what was the 5th foul for a girl and learned that from the visitor bookkeeper. He knew and held up a hand as my partner was reporting the foul since he expected who it would be called on. I connected with my partner shortly after that we need to confirm with the official bookkeeper (not the more engaging person) for her records.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:03pm
We don't rent pigs

Sometimes it is more difficult to work with the more experienced scorer who thinks he/she knows what going on too much. The worst thing I see is when I go to report a foul and the scorer is not even looking at me, but already writing in the book.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Sometimes it is more difficult to work with the more experienced scorer who thinks he/she knows what going on too much. The worst thing I see is when I go to report a foul and the scorer is not even looking at me, but already writing in the book.
Agreed. I'm a patient man and will wait for the eye contact. I get a little sick kind of thrill when the "know everything" scorekeeper is being told by everyone at the table "the refs waiting for you. "

If I do it early it usually doesn't happen too much after that.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

In my example, I was neither the scoreboard/timer or scorebook, I was just shot clock operator.

Concerning the reporting issue, when I hear the whistle & see the stop clock sign with reporting official coming towards table, I am always looking at the official for the information. More often than not now,

Other than doing shot clock for Girls' Varsity, I hadn't had any experience doing Varsity Scoreboard/Timing until I did WIAA 4A Regionals last year. From that experience, I can see how a person doing Varsity games can become distracted with everything going on around them. I used that experience of assisting at the 4A Regionals as a way to grade myself on what I should or sholdn't be doing differently. My first game there, I had a real test as we had a non-functioning scoreboard & had to use stopwatches for timing devices & use the PA Announcer to announce the score, fouls, shot clock & time expiration. Working on that sitch, made me see things differently & made me realize that doing any position at the table can be a test of abilities.

My thinking behind starting this thread was to get some input on what everyone's thoughts were concerning the table & experience.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think you asked a loaded question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Do you prefer someone who is keeping up with the rules/regulations? Or someone that's going off of regulations that's 5-10 years old?
The answer to this question is obvious, but it also presents a false dichotomy. Those aren't the only options.

Quote:
Should it be mandatory that anyone doing scoreboard/timing and scorebook have to go through the training & testing that the floor officials go through?
No, unless you're going to pay them the same. You'll never get volunteers, however, with that requirement. And while I think a good table is a wonderful thing to have, I'd rather the schools pay for a third official than pay my rate for the table personnel.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:56pm
We don't rent pigs

try this analogy

Evaluating the table personnel at the start of the game is like checking your tires when you leave on a trip. If you have new ones, great. If one or more is obviously less than perfect, you just have to hope you make it ok.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I think you asked a loaded question:

The answer to this question is obvious, but it also presents a false dichotomy. Those aren't the only options.

No, unless you're going to pay them the same. You'll never get volunteers, however, with that requirement. And while I think a good table is a wonderful thing to have, I'd rather the schools pay for a third official than pay my rate for the table personnel.
Snaqwells, in other wording, I am asking would you rather have table personnel that know what they're doing, compared to someone that's having to learn while doing with it being their 1st time. I can get what you're saying about the pay. If I remember right, the person at my alma mater that does the Varsity games is getting paid $10 a game.

I asked about a person being current regulations, compared to someone who's going off of regulations that are 5-10 years old, because basically that's the circumstance that's going on with the person doing the scoreboard/timing for Varsity at my alma mater. She does a good job with continual communication between herself & the scorebooks, but she is buzzing at the wrong time for time-outs, & she doesn't hit the 1-minute warning buzzer for intermissions. Also she seems to know how to do shoit clock although I've never seen her do shot clock.

When I'm doing scoreboard/timer & shot clock, I have print outs with me that show the rules/regulations for shot clock, timer, & scorebook. This way if any questions are asked about the procedure I have proof. So yes I have the experience, but I also keep with me the written proof in case I happen to have questions

Considering I normally only do JV & C-Squad games, most of the time the person doing scorebook is a student with their friends/buddies sitting there next to them distracting them. (The home team has almost gotten technicals cause of it). I feel like others that the person doing scorebook should be an adult, not a student.

Last edited by chseagle; Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 04:03pm.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 04:48pm
Never Stop Learning

We are very fortunate in our area. The officials association is also responsible for assigning the scorer and timers. They have to go through training just as officials do. We have our veteran scorers and timers train and then they go and practice at scrimmages. When they finally do high school games if they are new they are assigned with a veteran. They are paid very well and for the most part do a great job. Our regional and state games are also chosen from these scorers and timers with others from different areas.

Last edited by Ed Maeder; Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 05:07pm.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
We are very fortunate in our area. The officials association is also responsible for assigning the scorer and timers. They have to go through training just as officials do. We have our veteran scorers and timers train and then they go and practice at scrimmages. When they finally do high school games if they are new they are assigned with a veteran. They are paid very well and for the most part do a great job.
Does anyone have a list of state associations, or officials associations, that do this?

What would be the proper procedure to suggest this to the Sate &/or Officials Associations here?

I am asking as this setup has everyone on the same page & rules/regulations. I would like to have the opportunity to do State Championship games as well, so I can broaden my experience.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams View Post
you sound a little jaded... just because the JV coach goes undefeated for 3 straight years doen't mean he/she gets the varsity job. That is just basketball politics... you refs never have to deal with politics I am sure.

(sorry for the off topic remarks)
Tadams, I've had a few of the floor officials actually mention it to me, that they prefer working with me cause of how I handle things at the table, & my professionalism. The person that does handle the Varsity Scoreboard/Timer has either a written or verbal agreement with the School Board or the School Board decided that since she likes kissing up that she should remain in the position.

I had a preseason meeting with the School AD & mentioned to him that some of the rules/regulations she was going off of were slightly outdated. How I understand things he is going to print out some of the new rules/regulations & go over those with her.

One of the games where I did Girls' Varsity Shot Clock, she tried telling me when to do a clock reset which should not of happened cause of the missed shot (didn't hit the rim), the play should of been a shot clock violation, yet it never got called cause of the reset. At the next time-out I showed her the printed Shot Clock regulations & the R came over as well and verified my information. (The time-out happened right after the play).

I don't mind volunteering doing scoreboard/timer & shot clock, as I see it as doing a service to my alma mater. Depending on what happens with the addition of Boys' 35-second shot clock here in Washington, I might end up doing more Varsity Games as Shot Clock Operator.

Last edited by chseagle; Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 07:46pm.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 07:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not something I worry about or control. I have had people that claim they are very experienced and those are the people that cause us the most problems.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

I may have experience, but I'm also wanting to learn more. Like I mentioned in earlier postings, I have copies with me of the Instructions to Scorers & Timers with me, in case I do get jammed up somehow. I also am asking the floor officials questions if I do not understand something, or misinterpret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not something I worry about or control. I have had people that claim they are very experienced and those are the people that cause us the most problems.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In my example, I was neither the scoreboard/timer or scorebook, I was just shot clock operator.
Partner, that makes absolutely, positively no difference whatsoever. Who we look at doesn't mean a thing. Can you not get that?

You're issue seems to be that you want to work varsity games but there's already someone in that position. You seem to want to build yourself up to us, while tearing the other person down. Unfortunately, we can't help you get the varsity job. Even if we could, that's not the correct way to go about it. And it's not going to help you with the people who do make the decision either.

Do your job, don't worry about others, DON'T TEAR THEM DOWN TO OTHERS and if you're deserving, the position will eventually be yours.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 09:50pm.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Partner, that makes absolutely, positively no difference whatsoever. Who we look at doesn't mean a thing. Can you not get that?

You're issue seems to be that you want to work varsity games but there's already someone in that position. You seem to want to build yourself up to us, while tearing the other person down. Unfortunately, we can't help you get the varsity job. Even if we could, that's not the correct way to go about it. And it's not going to help you with the people who do make the decision either.

Do your job, don't worry about others, DON'T TEAR THEM DOWN TO OTHERS and if you're deserving, the position will eventually be yours.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I like his passion for the job but he's barking up the wrong tree here.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth. I like his passion for the job but he's barking up the wrong tree here.
Quote:

The gal that is doing the Varsity Games right now for my alma mater, has been doing it for the past 5-10 years at a minimum. She's doing a good job, except for not keeping up on the new Time-Out/Intermission rules/regulations on when to sound the buzzer. I've learned some things from her on how the table runs smoothly during games. I am doing what I can to slowly build up to doing Varsity contests as scoreboard/timer.

One of the reasonings behind doing the WIAA 4A Regionals last year, was that I had as a reference the AD who has seen/watched me work scoreboard/timer during the JV & C-Squad games. Also my knowing the facilities that were being used helped a bit, as well as my never give up/can do attitude.

During some of the JV & C-Squad games, I've had to wear multiple hats at once, Scoreboard/timer & crowd control at the same time.