The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

3-man officiating

I've been working 2-man officiating for a couple years, and I've been assigned my first 3-man game next week.

Any general advice that may be helpful?

One area of particular interest is the rotation of the Lead to move ball side (which I believe forces the C and U to adjust as well). I wouldn't think that the Lead would rotate ball side every time the ball moves around the perimeter.

Thanks!
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I am yoyoing between junior varsity (2 person) and varsity (three person) now. Two biggest challenges.

1) Don't catch yourself as lead peaking to the corner for the three point shot..

2) As lead, rotating to ballside happens alot more often in three person mechanics.

Oh yeah, as C on the press; don't find yourself counting the 10 second count
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 10:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
There is a manual that outlines how the 3 crew mechanics work. But it is very likely that your partners have experience and will help you along.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Pregame

Make sure you have a real good pregame with your partners. People have different philosophys when and when not to flex as lead. Try to watch your area only. It will be hard at first but remember what line is yours on OOB situations. Also here is some tid for tat that may help you but like was said read your manual.

1: Stay in your Area
2: Only one official should have a 5 sec count (If a 5 sec. count begins in your primary you stay with the count until the count is broken. At this time the new primary official will pick up the count.
3: If you have a drive from your primary, you have it all the way to the hoop.
4: Only one official should have 3 pt. prelim, and lead should rarely have it. (only in transition when T might have missed it) Trail and Center will mirror on successful 3
5. When in transition the Center will hold up play for subs
6: When calling a foul, most times you will stay table side.
7: If you call a foul that is a non-shooting foul that is called in the front-court but the ball will now be going the other way. You call the foul then treat it as a violation (this negates the long switch)
8: If a flex is missed, or screwed up just come up the middle and fill in. if you are lead becoming trail.
9: Most officials will flex when the ball is rotated below foul line extended. Some want to wait until it has settled for a sec. Pregame it.
10: Don't flex when the shot is being taken. This includes not flexing when someone is on a drive.
11: Once you begin to flex, continue the whole way across. Don't Prairie Dog it by going in and out. If you think you should flex do it and go straight across.
12: If you have a double whistle hold your call and let primary official take the call to the table
13: Last second shot is either Trail or Center depending on who is opposite table:
14: PREGAME, PREGAME, PREGAME if the other officials are ones who sometimes don't ask them too.
15: Have Fun. You won't be perfect, do your best. Worry about your calls first and the 3-man stuff will come.

GOOD LUCK! We have all been there, you never get another first time so enjoy it.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Go to as many 3 person games as you can till your game.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
One area of particular interest is the rotation of the Lead to move ball side (which I believe forces the C and U to adjust as well). I wouldn't think that the Lead would rotate ball side every time the ball moves around the perimeter.
One of the most fundamental tenets of three-person is to "double up ball-side". That's where the majority of the action is, so that's where you want two sets of eyes. What you don't want is to leave the C hanging with the ball and 6-8 bodies to officiate.

However, your question is very practical. There is a balance that must be struck between the L going where the play is likely to be and the L needlessly yo-yoing all game long. In general the first few plays of the game will tell you a lot about what the offense is trying to do. So pay attention and adjust based on what they're actually doing.

Also, there are some common cues that can help us to know when to rotate and when to hold. Is the ball simply swinging "up top" or does it drop below the FTL extended? Where are the post players? Are there cutters going ball side? Where are the majority of the players? Has the play settled?

With time you'll develop a good feel for when to rotate, until then...when in doubt, rotate. You can always rotate right back if you need to. And your partners will let you know if you're rotating too much.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

In a 3-whistle game, remember the lead only has one line to call (the endline). The trail will have your sideline. That along with peeking at the 3-point signal in the corner as Ignats mentions are the 2-whistle mechanics that incorrectly work their way into my 3-whistle games.

I also think BITS advice for rotating is spot on and worth remembering.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

OK, had my first 3-man game. Here is my take on it...

For someone that has only done 2-man, there were two challenges with 3-man officiating:

1) you must always be aware of the location of your partners. In 2-man I am very focused on my primary, but in 3-man you have to regularly spot check your partners location, thereby breaking your PCA focus.

2) I found it tricky to remember my PCA as you shift from C to T. For example, you can be the C, watching your PCA, then the L will rotate and your PCA automatically shifts to L. I became uncertain about the boundaries of my coverage area when these sudden shifts happened.

These two things kinda threw me out of sync, and affected my overall officiating and court awareness (e.g., substitutes, time-outs, rotation on fouls)

I got better in the 2nd half, but just thought I would share the challenges for those that haven't yet worked 3-man.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 09:11pm
This IS My Social Life

In Sync Soon

Quote:
These two things kinda threw me out of sync, and affected my overall officiating and court awareness (e.g., substitutes, time-outs, rotation on fouls).
The more games you observe and the more games you do, this will diminish until PCA and court awareness become comfortable. Keep at it. You'll be in sync before you know it.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
Make sure you have a real good pregame with your partners. People have different philosophys when and when not to flex as lead. Try to watch your area only. It will be hard at first but remember what line is yours on OOB situations. Also here is some tid for tat that may help you but like was said read your manual.

1: Stay in your Area
2: Only one official should have a 5 sec count (If a 5 sec. count begins in your primary you stay with the count until the count is broken. At this time the new primary official will pick up the count.
3: If you have a drive from your primary, you have it all the way to the hoop.
4: Only one official should have 3 pt. prelim, and lead should rarely have it. (only in transition when T might have missed it) Trail and Center will mirror on successful 3
5. When in transition the Center will hold up play for subs
6: When calling a foul, most times you will stay table side.
7: If you call a foul that is a non-shooting foul that is called in the front-court but the ball will now be going the other way. You call the foul then treat it as a violation (this negates the long switch)
8: If a flex is missed, or screwed up just come up the middle and fill in. if you are lead becoming trail.
9: Most officials will flex when the ball is rotated below foul line extended. Some want to wait until it has settled for a sec. Pregame it.
10: Don't flex when the shot is being taken. This includes not flexing when someone is on a drive.
11: Once you begin to flex, continue the whole way across. Don't Prairie Dog it by going in and out. If you think you should flex do it and go straight across.
12: If you have a double whistle hold your call and let primary official take the call to the table
13: Last second shot is either Trail or Center depending on who is opposite table:
14: PREGAME, PREGAME, PREGAME if the other officials are ones who sometimes don't ask them too.
15: Have Fun. You won't be perfect, do your best. Worry about your calls first and the 3-man stuff will come.

GOOD LUCK! We have all been there, you never get another first time so enjoy it.
I'd like to add one that is always true. If you're the trail and going to be a lead in any situation (dead ball, made basket, turnover, etc) you sprint to get your butt down to the baseline of the opposite basket from where the ball was just at. Don't even look back, the now-trail will cover that side line and both the C and T can cover fouls. It's important to be under the basket asap. I'm pretty sure this goes for anyone, but I haven't officiated out of my area yet and this is how we do it around here.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Don't even look back, the now-trail will cover that side line and both the C and T can cover fouls.
Not true. That is, it might be what is done in your area, but it's not taught at any of the camps I've been to.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, had my first 3-man game. Here is my take on it...

For someone that has only done 2-man, there were two challenges with 3-man officiating:

1) you must always be aware of the location of your partners. In 2-man I am very focused on my primary, but in 3-man you have to regularly spot check your partners location, thereby breaking your PCA focus.
You can use your peripheral vision to know where they are. Plus, if you trust them, you'll know when they move without seeing them.

Quote:
2) I found it tricky to remember my PCA as you shift from C to T. For example, you can be the C, watching your PCA, then the L will rotate and your PCA automatically shifts to L. I became uncertain about the boundaries of my coverage area when these sudden shifts happened.
You still stay on the play / ball even when the leafd rotates -- don't give up on the play. Only after the play moves do you assume the T's responsibilities.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 10:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I'd like to add one that is always true. If you're the trail and going to be a lead in any situation (dead ball, made basket, turnover, etc) you sprint to get your butt down to the baseline of the opposite basket from where the ball was just at. Don't even look back, the now-trail will cover that side line and both the C and T can cover fouls. It's important to be under the basket asap. I'm pretty sure this goes for anyone, but I haven't officiated out of my area yet and this is how we do it around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not true. That is, it might be what is done in your area, but it's not taught at any of the camps I've been to.
Bob's right. You immediately have players in your primary that you need to officiate. If you run down without watching them, one day you'll find yourself wondering who started the fight.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
I am yoyoing between junior varsity (2 person) and varsity (three person) now. Two biggest challenges.

1) Don't catch yourself as lead peaking to the corner for the three point shot..

2) As lead, rotating to ballside happens alot more often in three person mechanics.

Oh yeah, as C on the press; don't find yourself counting the 10 second count
I'm right there with ya! I go between the two all the time. I catch myself doing two-man mechanics in three-man and three-man mechanics in two-man. I usually catch it early...and then smile about it.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 11:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142 View Post
I'm right there with ya! I go between the two all the time. I catch myself doing two-man mechanics in three-man and three-man mechanics in two-man. I usually catch it early...and then smile about it.
As long as you don't think you are U2 at the beginning of the game....