The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Bob's right. You immediately have players in your primary that you need to officiate. If you run down without watching them, one day you'll find yourself wondering who started the fight.
You got 4 other eyes watching the players.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I'd like to add one that is always true. If you're the trail and going to be a lead in any situation (dead ball, made basket, turnover, etc) you sprint to get your butt down to the baseline of the opposite basket from where the ball was just at. Don't even look back, the now-trail will cover that side line and both the C and T can cover fouls. It's important to be under the basket asap. I'm pretty sure this goes for anyone, but I haven't officiated out of my area yet and this is how we do it around here.
At one point in time, this was a taught mechanic in Central Ohio. But, years ago, this mechanic was dropped. The problem here is that if you have NO IDEA where the ball is, you can miss a steal in the backcourt thereby leaving your partners without a third until you recover. You can also miss a long pass -- along YOUR LINE -- because you are just running. Always look over your shoulder as you sprint up the court.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 11:50pm
This IS My Social Life

Doh!

Last year about this time I went to observe at a Christmas tournament. One play stands out vividly in my mind. The new L was sprinting downcourt, unaware of the play developing behind him and -- GONK -- he gets hit in the back of the head by an attempted fast-break pass.
Didn't look real good.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 11:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
And the whole point of 3 whistles is to have 6 eyes watching the players. If there's pressure in the BC, those four eyes are watching the pressure.

If there's a breakaway layup about to happen, you've got on-ball coverage. I've been dinged specifically for not turning around and looking.

Again, as Bob said, if that's how you're taught, then do it. Most of us, however, have been taught differently.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And the whole point of 3 whistles is to have 6 eyes watching the players. If there's pressure in the BC, those four eyes are watching the pressure.

If there's a breakaway layup about to happen, you've got on-ball coverage. I've been dinged specifically for not turning around and looking.

Again, as Bob said, if that's how you're taught, then do it. Most of us, however, have been taught differently.
Exactly. It is a BIG no-no here to turn your back on the court when you're the new Lead during transition, whether it's 2 or 3-man.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

While you've been "dinged" for not turning around, I've been "dinged" for turning around and looking. I've been told this way, even though I don't agree with it just as you guys are apparently saying, but it is just how it is around here. I don't agree with it strongly, I think I should be looking back, but around here the idea is that turning around slows you down a little, and in games (especially boys) where the players are extremely fast, you need to be under the basket when something could be going down under there.

So I guess this isn't a definite procedure, but this is what I'm teaching rookie 3-man officials when they ask me to "tutor" them.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
And you are still expected to keep your head turned and watch as you run down court in the 6 states I've worked.

On an 84-foot court how hard is it to go from T to L, anyway? Why would you need to "put your head down and sprint" anywhere?
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but it is just how it is around here.
You may have said this before -- but where is "here?"
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So I guess this isn't a definite procedure, but this is what I'm teaching rookie 3-man officials when they ask me to "tutor" them.
Wow. I am shocked that you are tutoring anyone with your clear lack of rules knowledge displayed in this forum.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 09:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Wow. I am shocked that you are tutoring anyone with your clear lack of rules knowledge displayed in this forum.
Yeah, but....he "represents."
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Interesting discussion regarding transitioning from T to L. I actually think the "turn and get down the court" advice is good - but do so while officiating your primary.

One of the things that's hard to do when moving from 2-man to 3-man is the realization that once rebounding action is over, as T to L there's nothing for you to officiate at the point of the rebound. It's also technically true in 2-man, but a rebound in your primary across the court from L is something I often want to watch for an extra second or two.

In 3-man, as soon as the 'defense' has secured the ball, I'm turning and going to beat all players to the other end. But, I do so while looking over my shoulder and making sure I know what's happening. I need to officiate players who are transitioning down the court, and I need to know where the action is developing in a quick transition in order to be best positioned.

I've never been told in camp or otherwise to turn and run and not look back. I have been told in camp that I was waiting to long to turn and run while still officiating.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
As long as you don't think you are U2 at the beginning of the game....
I have a better voice than Bono.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

It seems like another issue with turning and running down to new L is if the other team goes into a full court press.

I believe that the L should not be at baseline (endline) while a full court press is underway and the players primarily in the backcourt.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
It seems like another issue with turning and running down to new L is if the other team goes into a full court press.

I believe that the L should not be at baseline (endline) while a full court press is underway and the players primarily in the backcourt.
In my most recent clinic(s) I've been told to get my butt down there - the press is to be handled by T and C
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
In my most recent clinic(s) I've been told to get my butt down there - the press is to be handled by T and C
Not if all ten players are in the backcourt. I think the L should be as deep as the deepest players. Let the players dictate where you go.